• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Stewart Isn't Traded It Will Be Because..

unicar15

Unfortunately, I think that Stewart is the side that isnt coming to the table. Hurney can work the magic to keep him, and I am hoping that we will impress Stewart with a really good playoff run this year... But it is up to him if he wants to stay. Stewart is from the West Coast I have lived periodically on that side before, and it is a different culture. North Carolina just may not have grown on him? Maybe he just wants to be closer to home.

Something tells me that he would like to play for Denver, Seattle or SF. He is a damned good RB, and when it is time for him to get his money, he is likely to get a choice to where he goes.

There is hardly any other teams that would pay Stewart the way we would pay him. Saying he's not interested in staying doesn't make sense to me. People like money. I don't understand it either.

Yeah, contracts in the NFL aren't guaranteed so cutting players aren't that big of a deal.

Cutting Deangelo is a big deal. Cutting him now would kill us. Cutting him next season would still hurt.

I just don't understand how people can be so short sighted? What do you think is going to happen with Stewart??? He is going to have a good year next year, then magically were going to find the cap room to resign him? Is he going to play at the league minimum so to stay here??? Yes, we all love him as a player, but guys, seriously, why not get some value for him while we can and move on.

WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO BRING HIM BACK IN 2013. Not after the contract we gave Williams.

You may not like the idea of re-signing him, but, no, it's actually not impossible.

It may not be impossible to resign Stewart, but it would drain money we could be using to improve a miserable defense. Money we could be using to bring in a top teir reciever, money we need to improve our team in many other areas.

Or, we could max out whats available bringing back a RB who DOESN'T HAVE A ROLE IN THIS OFFENSE ANYMORE.........

Stewart has the better hands. He breaks more tackles. If we trade him i do not see us getting comparable value to what HE CAN DO IN THIS OFFENSE. Law1984 must have been watching a different player last year. If anything it seemed Stewart was on the field as much as Dwill if not more on passing downs.

Williams isn't going anywhere. Even if we trade him to another team, we eat the guarunteed money from his contract.

Running a football team is about allocation of cap resources to specific positions. Any money you sink into the RB position will be taken out of other positions. We simply do not have the resources to sign two running backs to contracts of the magnitude it would require.

I will agree to disagree with you. We will have to see which direction the front office heads on this decision

It is not about who is the better player, its about their contracts. Williams signed a 5 year contract worth 43 million with 21 million guaranteed.

The 21 million guaranteed is allocated over 5 years at 4.2 million a year over 5 years. If we cut him or trade him this year, we have a cap hit of 16.8 million, cut him/trade him next year and its a cap hit of 12.6 million.

He isn't going anywhere due to how the dead money would affect the cap.

On the other hand, stewart is entering the last year of his rookie contract. Which means any team that would trade for him would do so with the idea of restructuring him for the future.

I have said it before: Everybody talks about Stewart not wanting to talk. Well perhaps he didn't because he saw the writing on the wall when Deangelo was signed. Just like many of us were surprised at the amount of D-Wills contract, Stewart was probably like WTF, & I don't blame him one bit. He is, and has been a super productive back, and is arguably, "pound for pound", not only more productive than Williams, but just about any starting RB in the league. He breaks more tackles, catches more passes, blocks better, is tougher, younger, stronger, more powerful. Stewart just has a helluva lot more intangibles IMO. He deserves a piece of that generous piece of pie that was placed on Deangelo's plate. Hell, his significant others probably whisper in his ear telling him that he was the one that should have gotten the big deal, all thing's considered. Does anyone really think that Stewart would have turned down Deangelo money if it had been offered? Of course he didn't want to talk after Williams' deal went down.

Our FO should have seen the bigger picture before signing Williams. They got the RBs, the money, and their respective value juxtaposed. Seems to me that they acted more out of emotion at the expense of the business. Williams should have been in Green Bay right now with some bling on his finger, if they had made it happen.

I think both the D-Will and CJ contracts were offered completely on emotion. At the time, it was JR's way of saying, SEE THAT FANS, I TOLD YOU I WASN'T A CHEAP A$$!

But, they were both overpriced.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Jerry Richardson, a multi-millionaire ex-NFL player whose dream is to own a Super Bowl winning franchise extended a couple of players because he didn't want everyone to think he was cheap. Clearly his business success is completely due to the wild winds of luck and his football acumen is rivaled only by Daniel Snyder. :wacko:

Archived