• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thats the intent of the Hornets Rebrand, is just a local way for people who arent NBA fans to slam the Bobs. And true to form PanthAZ doesnt live anywhere near Charlotte but feels entitled to speak on and dictate our bball team. PanthAZ wont put up a dime for our team but expects a handout. PanthAZ still wont answer why his people cant buy the Hornets outright. He and the others would rather get on their knees and beg Bob and MJ. We got people hoping the Bobs fail or relocate because they cant get over the Hornets failure. We dont need these people as fans. They couldnt tell you the starting lineup of the Sac Kings without looking it up. They know nothing about the NBA. And theyre completely powerless when it comes to the Bobs. Bobs dont do this for them.

KT, I don't doubt for a moment you are one of the most passionate fans the Bobcats have. I really wish the Bobcats had more fans just like you. The problem is that they don't and if they can't attract more paying fans the forum for NBA discussions will really be up for rent.

Most people attending a sports function for newer teams are casual fans, they are fickle and need to be enticed to attend. They are not dedicated like you but their money spends just like yours and there are a lot more of them. Like it or not, without the people that your are constantly putting down, the NBA in Charlotte will be nothing but a memory in a few years.

After that we can all come back here and talk about the starting lineup for the Sacramento Kings or the Atlanta Hawks or whatever team you would like because that is all we'll have to talk about until the Panthers or Checkers seasons start.

By the way, I grew up and lived in Charlotte for over 20 years. I left the city when I joined the USAF but that shouldn't exclude me from sharing my views. Also, despite what you may think you know about me, I do not enjoy NASCAR and I like to listen to Jazz music. Sorry if I don't live up to your stereotype of me.

Interesting side note: I have been all over this globe and still see more Charlotte Hornets gear being worn and sold internationally to this day than Bobcats gear. That may not mean much to you, but to someone in business of making money, it should speak volumes.

there's a bunch of patriot's championship gear from the last superbowl floating around internationally too

just sayin'

just because a bunch of people in other countries are wearing liquidated charlotte hornets gear does not indicate it is a good business model

Maybe not, but the absence of Bobcat gear is a good indication that the current business model isn't working. By the way the gear I am referring to is made overseas and is being produced because there is demand for it.

If it were New Orleans would be booming right now and their stars wouldnt have demanded to be traded. PanthAZ we've operated 8 years without those people's support. Remind me again why need them? Bobs made the playoffs 2 years ago and every game sold out in minutes. The people you speak of are fairweather, so when our weather is fair they'll show up again. No need to extend ourselves. Hell, when the Panthers lose their stadium is half empty. Doesnt mean they need a rebrand, just means our market is full of fairweathers who cant handle adversity.

They are in the business of making money and giving the customer what they ask for. Otherwise they would not be in business very long. There is a lesson in there for anyone that wants to benefit from it.

I swear seems like some of your would rather lose the franchise than try and broaden the appeal of the team. If you want to go back to driving to Atlanta or DC again to see an NBA game so be it.

Just keep this in mind, there is a 44 year old Billionaire Hedge Fund Manager that is actively looking to move a team to Seattle. He has committed to paying for the new facility with private funds at no cost to the city. He has just committed 10 million dollars of his own money this week to study traffic patterns to verify the downtown property he owns is the best place in Seattle for his team. They intend to use the Sonics old facility until the new one is completed.

He has more than enough money to buy out any lease he wants and right now it looks as if New Orleans/NBA is about to sew up long term contract with the state of Louisiana. The guys in Sacramento have made it clear they do not intend to sell and the NBA has said they will not be expanding anytime in the foreseeable future. The field of possible franchises for sale is quickly narrowing down to one.

Like it or not MJ will not tolerate losing 20 million a year much longer. The Bobcats will fetch a much higher sale price in a deal that allows relocation, not that you could find anyone locally to by the Bobcats anyway. Would a lot of people be pissed at MJ if he sold? Sure, but I don't think he got into this business to lose a fortune either and if a rare opportunity came along to unload this money pit called the Bobcats, don't think he won't at least listen to the offer. He might not like selling the team, but if he doesn't see things getting any better in the near term, he'd be crazy not to.

I'm telling you bro, the bobcats are gonna get screwed out of the #1 pick. The NBA lottery is rigged.

The NBA needs to sell the Hornets, Davis is a commodity. Potential owners will be lining up to make a bid if the Hornets get to draft Davis.

Once this happens, hopefully it will turn some of yall off the NBA.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this subject. Yes, Bob Johnson did help bring the NBA back to Charlotte, for which I will be forever grateful. However, his tenure as owner was nothing spectacular. We've never gotten a draft right (some might argue Augustin and Hendo were the best picks we've made - I agree). We trade away commodities to free cap space. We give enigmatic contracts to mediocre players that have 1 good year. And in one case trade them away only to trade back for him (Carrol).

Selling the team to MJ was a good thing. Not because he is a good decision maker (he is a terrible one actually), but because he is a better face to this franchise. Looking at Cho's track record, this team WILL be good in a few years. I really hope Jordan lets Cho have full reigns of personnel moves and doesn't dictate draft picks.

That being said, if this movement really picks up, the Hornets change names and leave it open for us, we should definitely think about picking it up. Attendance this year is actually pretty good for the product we put out, so there is budding interest in this team. Kemba will never be a superstar, but if he can get his shot right, I could see him being a slightly lesser Russell Westbrook. Biyombo will never be a superstar, but could see a Marcus Camby type game in 2 years. Again with Hendo, poor mans Danny Granger wouldn't surprise me. And if we land Davis; Tim Duncan 2.0. That would be a good looking lineup to build on.

Right now this movement has local attention, but if it gets regional and then national and people start signing away on the petition - you have to make the move to rebrand. Why? Because the Charlotte Hornets are for some reason widely popular again; and if a fanbase convinces the greatest player of all time to change the name of his team - popularity will surge.

KT said: "we've operated 8 years without those people's support. Remind me again why need them? Bobs made the playoffs 2 years ago and every game sold out in minutes."

We are on our second owner, Bob Johnson told you why he was selling, he could afford to lose anymore money. I don't think anyone needs a crystal ball to predict why MJ might want to sell his portion of the team either. If playoffs paid the bills for an entire season, and we both know they don't, there are still 7 other seasons of non playoff basketball to account for. Exactly how many seasons has this franchise made a profit?

KT said: "when the Panthers lose their stadium is half empty. Doesn't mean they need a re brand, just means our market is full of fairweathers who cant handle adversity."

True, there have always been a lot of those types of fans out there. I have been witness to no less than five semi pro and one pro team in Charlotte fading away as the locals refused to support them for various reasons.

Love him or hate him JR came up with a novel way to keep the lights on when times are tough in a smaller market. The Panthers have not been very well managed and seldom have they had a winning season, but what they did have was a good business plan in place before they ever fielded their first team. That has made all the difference in the world.

A viable business plan. That is what separates the Panthers from the Bobcats and all the other teams that have come and gone through the years in Charlotte. Until the Bobcats establish a way to survive in a small market they will continue to struggle. If you think this team can continue to exist with the support it has received, giving away free tickets and still not getting a decent turn out, well I don't know what else to tell you.

It could be named after a rich black person and that pisses people off. It should be named after the white people who fought in the Hornets Nest Rebellion 200 years ago. Then we can feel good about it and really feel like its ours. Our ancestors are rolling over in their graves knowing our money and resources support a black owned business. We need to whitewash the Bobs so they belong to us. Derp Derp!

Archived