• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If a rich local white man owned the Cats no one would be emboldened to tell them to re brand. Any of you guys in their 12 losing seasons ask the Panthers to re brand to the Hornets? And we've had a pro football team called the Hornets here before. Face it, the Bobs represent an upward mobility that people resent. Which is why they yearn so bad to control something they have no power to. Stick Bruton Smith in the owners box and all that off the court hate goes away.

KT, you offer so much to talk about! You really are the catalyst that keeps this forum going. If I didn't know any better, I would suspect it was Zod masquerading under an alias to get our goat! Thanks for the effort. We may not agree on much but this forum is a lot more interesting than the Tinderbox or Panthers forum right now and it is all because of you. Of course, you can't compete with the Lovely Ladies, but then again, who can?

Back to the matter at hand: I might have considered suggesting a name change for the Panthers if it were not for two issues.

They may not have been that great through the years on average but they have had their moments. They have generally been competitive every other year of their existence (batting somewhere near .500) and have actually progressed significantly further in the playoffs than the Bobcats have, or we can reasonably expect the Bobcats to progress, for the foreseeable future.

More importantly, the Panthers haven't had an ownership change due to financial issues. In fact, I am unaware of the Panthers having any financial concerns, much less ones that could threaten the future of the franchise in Charlotte.

Interesting that you brought up Bruton Smith. I am not a big fan of his, at all. I really don't like people that push the small guy around to get their way. Seems to me a few years ago he wanted to build a drag strip out at the raceway and the local authorities were going to block him from doing it until he threatened to take his raceway and move. I'm going off memory, so I may not have it quite right. But it illustrates a point: If you have a good business plan and are successful at generating tax dollars for your local community, people will accommodate your wishes even if the don't want to.

The idea of a Panthers rebrand is asinine. They have won and won big at times. They don't alienate their fans and the brand has always been strong, marketable, and profitable. It's intimidating, well-designed, and catchy even for people that aren't fans of our team... They don't look at the Panthers logo and think "My five year old could've came up with that concept."

Again, having some history of winning has something to do with that as well. The Bobcats have none of those things as it currently stands.

People don't support the Bobcats because they have an African America owner....so, it has nothing to do with the fact that the team SUCKS...and that every move the ownership has made has been a disaster....terrible draft picks....terrible trades....etc.

Most of us could care less about the color of a man's skin.....KT, that is ALL that you DO care about.

KT should consider suicide b/c he's never going to make it in this white man's world

just put yourself out of the misery dude!

The truth hurts guys, the Bobs dont want or need non-paying Hornets fans. If you guys are so great why arent the Hornets here? Funny thing is, NO dont want u either. You guys are gonna be stuck here tryna fit in with us real Bobcat fans for years to come. The more you say you hate the Bobs, the more you post. You need us and this forum honeybees.

I love how KT doesn't respond about him being racist, he acts like it will just fade away once he talks about a few more posts and personally attacks some more members attempting to have a discussion about this. There have been few comments that are anti-name change that can be mentioned. It is painfully obvious that is an early 20's know it all based on his accounts of watching mtv, and taking pics of planking, etc. So with that being said I am done talking to a wall....yeah your stubborn....ok we get it.... your of legal age and you think a certain way about something....

Now

At the current rate of the petition's growth and the media appearances that we are getting as long as we keep BEElieving we should get the attention we crave, and for that matter Jordan could sell raffle tickets for season tickets winnings to help pay for the cost of the rebrand and I would love to mix gambling into benefitting our sports team. I'm just saying paying 25$ per raffle ticket for a shot at season tickets is a no brainer. just saying selling 10,000 of those on multiple channels of revenue such as physical and online....do the math of how much that helps, and we have sold more raffle tickets than that for little charity events at work....

anyways sorry I started ramblin again.....

I loved the Hornets. I was only 6 when they were founded, but my memories of the franchise are wide-ranging. As a kid, I wrote to Larry Johnson, and asked him for an autograph on a sheet of paper. I ended up getting a signed hat from the entire team. Fans were loyal, attendance was on top, the team was heading places. That was the NBA in the early 90's. Awesome fans, players that wanted to win before anything and a growing city that had everything to cheer for in a franchise we all adored.

What happened? Shinn got cheap. LJ and Zo became in cohesive. The team went from a rising powerhouse to consistently 5 through 8 in the east. Attendance waned and the once darling of the city of Charlotte was an afterthought - The Panthers were the new talk of the town. Why?

No, not because of a racial divide, or the city was tired of talented players extending the height of their horses. The team was mismanaged horribly and the owner(s) were scumbags. Shinn was literally given a parade for bringing a pro team to NC. Woolridge just looked like a douche alone. The fanfare from the mid 90's disintegrated when Shinn became a cheap, cynical a-hole.

Sooooo, after all is said and done, why would we want to retake a name synonymous with bitterness? Because it might save this team! Like I said in an earlier post, I am for re-branding IF the stars align, but if they do align - Charlotte will be on the map again. A movement started by a fan will make a city-wide change that will draw national attention. MJ will be lauded as an owner that listens to his fans and takes note. We won't contract or relocate. We will have true fans (and I am not excluding anyone on this board) that have made a difference from a team that very well could end up like OKC if the cards fall.

If current and would-be fans alike want a rebrand, for eff's sake do it. I have nothing against the name 'Bobcats' but any true fan would want what is best for the longevity of this team.

Any true fan would accept and cheer for this team because they are a fan. Bobs front office has no desire to be a watered down Hornets. Rabid fan support shouldnt be conditional. I keep hearing about these great fans that the Bobs need to beg for, where are they? And what have they actually won?

I loved the Hornets. I was only 6 when they were founded, but my memories of the franchise are wide-ranging. As a kid, I wrote to Larry Johnson, and asked him for an autograph on a sheet of paper. I ended up getting a signed hat from the entire team. Fans were loyal, attendance was on top, the team was heading places. That was the NBA in the early 90's. Awesome fans, players that wanted to win before anything and a growing city that had everything to cheer for in a franchise we all adored.

What happened? Shinn got cheap. LJ and Zo became in cohesive. The team went from a rising powerhouse to consistently 5 through 8 in the east. Attendance waned and the once darling of the city of Charlotte was an afterthought - The Panthers were the new talk of the town. Why?

No, not because of a racial divide, or the city was tired of talented players extending the height of their horses. The team was mismanaged horribly and the owner(s) were scumbags. Shinn was literally given a parade for bringing a pro team to NC. Woolridge just looked like a douche alone. The fanfare from the mid 90's disintegrated when Shinn became a cheap, cynical a-hole.

Sooooo, after all is said and done, why would we want to retake a name synonymous with bitterness? Because it might save this team! Like I said in an earlier post, I am for re-branding IF the stars align, but if they do align - Charlotte will be on the map again. A movement started by a fan will make a city-wide change that will draw national attention. MJ will be lauded as an owner that listens to his fans and takes note. We won't contract or relocate. We will have true fans (and I am not excluding anyone on this board) that have made a difference from a team that very well could end up like OKC if the cards fall.

If current and would-be fans alike want a rebrand, for eff's sake do it. I have nothing against the name 'Bobcats' but any true fan would want what is best for the longevity of this team.

Man I liked this post!!!!

Even if some fans don't much care for it, if it overall helps the franchise why not do it. MJ would be a viewed as a democracy leaeder who cares about what his customers want.

MJ's work ethic and competitive nature is the best that I have ever seen, and this would take his leadership credentials through the roof. He would firmly entrench himself as well as the franchise here for teh long haul and fans would take note.

Look at how the Miaimi Marlins rebranded and how much energy it pumped into the fans....if you haven't heard yet they are now the Miami Marlins with a new color scheme and the city has embraced their mlb team...

Archived