• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm confident a rebrand wont happen from people I know within the Bobs. But if it did, and they became a watered down Hornets, my interest would wane. The whole purpose of the rebrand is to faze out fans like myself who've been down since day 1 and say the last 10 years meant nothing and start anew with casual fans who werent. I don't support that, so thats pretty much the only way I'd stop supporting the Bobs. If they sold us out to gain new fans who might or might not support it.

HaHa ....so you are exactly what you try And insult other fans as being...a fair weather fa.

Actually, you sound more like that brattyl little lid that lives down the street. The one who huffs and puffs and takes his ball and goes home when he dies not get his way.

Gotta love it.

I bring good news. Actually, I've been bringing good news, so I bring better news.

BAM:

The possibility grows... I tweeted Bonnell earlier, asking that since Benson intends to rebrand, what is the likelihood that MJ will take on the Hornets brand. I already know from stories on the issue in the past that the team can't comment on another team's brand as it is against league rules.

I didn't get a direct response, but this is just as good:

https://twitter.com/#!/rick_bonnell

#Bobcats president Fred Whitfield said it's not appropriate for him to discuss "Hornets'' nickname (cont.)

I asked Whitfield in response to new Hornets owner Tom Benson saying he intends to change nickname.

Can't blame Whitfield for declining comment on this. The league would no doubt frown on him speculating.

To me, if we weren't considering it, Whitfield COULD just come outright and say "We are not rebranding or considering any rebranding whatsoever."

Meh.

If this happens, and it's looking like it will, I believe it will be a success short term. Don't see this working long term, because we still suck and players in the NBA don't wanna come to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a bandwagon sports city, about as bad as Atlanta when it comes to sports fans. It'll be all good for a year or two, but when the fans realize we still suck, they'll stop supporting the Hornets just like they don't support the Bobcats. There will probably be rumblings in 10-15 years about us, well Charlotte, losing the Hornets again.

Changing your jerseys and colors scheme is not the same as rebranding. There's never been an NBA team to rebrand to a previous/existing franchise. Change is good, which is why I accept the Bobs today over the Hornets 20 years ago. What thee catch the buzz movement is about to do is erase the Hornets completely from the NBA. We will remain the Cats while NO rebrands to a "new" (not to be confused with rehash) logo and name.

The Bobs are not gonna gentrify themselves and alienate their diehards.

I will refer back to my earlier analogy. What have the diehards given us?? You mean the tens of people who show up at the games. If we pick up interest from re-branding then the diehards can find someone else to cheer for.

The "diehard" Bobcat fans who are somehow attached to the Bobcat name are non-existent. It is you and like 5 other guys. For every "diehard" we lose because of the name we will pick up two more because of the energy and nostalgia the Hornets will bring. Especially if we get Unibrow.

Just look at the recent polls. Around 93% of the respondents either want to re-brand as the Hornets or don't really care. Are we trying to protect the 7% who do care and want us to stay the Bobcats?? That makes no sense.

Regardless of whether we re-brand or revamp it is past time for something to represent change and a new era of the NBA in Charlotte.

Meh.

If this happens, and it's looking like it will, I believe it will be a success short term. Don't see this working long term, because we still suck and players in the NBA don't wanna come to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a bandwagon sports city, about as bad as Atlanta when it comes to sports fans. It'll be all good for a year or two, but when the fans realize we still suck, they'll stop supporting the Hornets just like they don't support the Bobcats. There will probably be rumblings in 10-15 years about us, well Charlotte, losing the Hornets again.

I think there is no doubt that if we don't find some sort of sustained success you could be absolutely right.

But we are likely going to stink again next year and the year after if we really are committed to building through the draft. This will provide a good buffer until hopefully we have the players to be successful.

Otherwise, by doing nothing we are hastening our demise IMO.

One last thing. People forget that Charlotte didn't turn on the Hornets because of play on the court. It was because George Shinn had a sex scandal, then let Alonzo and Larry Johnson walk without much of a fight, and then wanted the taxpayers to fund an entire new stadium despite the fact that we were #1 in attendance and not paying to keep our best players here in Charlotte.

People felt like George Shinn was just stealing our money and not giving the fans anything in return. So the fans revolted.

Teeray, you are the man. Agreed again on all counts. I'd like to add that the state already loves MJ, so for him to be the guy who brings them the Hornets back... His popularity will skyrocket. And I agree with Aggie as well, if there isn't a product on the court to back the energy that the rebranding brings, then it won't be sustained. No team can ride on merchandise and marketability alone due to a brand... That again, is why this is the prime time to do it, with a top pick, two young rookies with quite a bit of promise, shedding salary albatrosses over the next 2 years, the outlook is nothing but good

I find it funny that one of the arguments against rebranding is the 2.5 million price tag. That would be mostly recouped from merchandise sales. Even if Jordon doesnt rename them the Hornets he should defiantly try to get the name and merchandise rights.

because the money would ultimately be wasted

everyone likes wasting someone else's money

everyone in this thread can agree that any money spent to rebrand would be wasted if the product on the court fails to produce

and if the product on the court begins to produce, then rebranding is irrelevant

so why exactly should michael jordan waste any money on something that won't matter anyway?

because its not your money?

One last thing. People forget that Charlotte didn't turn on the Hornets because of play on the court. It was because George Shinn had a sex scandal, then let Alonzo and Larry Johnson walk without much of a fight, and then wanted the taxpayers to fund an entire new stadium despite the fact that we were #1 in attendance and not paying to keep our best players here in Charlotte.

People felt like George Shinn was just stealing our money and not giving the fans anything in return. So the fans revolted.

So when Michael Jordan does all these things(let's superstars walk, gets into a lil trouble, etc), are ya'll gonna revolt again lol. Let's be real, Jordan is a lot like Shinn in that he's got long money, probably more than you and I, but he doesn't have deep pockets like most these other owners have. Also, I like Jordan...he's my favorite player of all time, but Jordan is a controversial figure. I really wouldn't be surprised if he got into a lil trouble in the future.

As a kid, I loved the Hornets. I wouldn't mind if we got the Hornets name back, but then again, I never wanted them to leave. I feel like I did everything I could to keep them here lol. I supported the Hornets and still went to the games(my uncle was a season ticket holder), even when the people of Charlotte stopped supporting them because of their little "gripe" with Shinn. There's plenty of teams out there with bad owners, but those fans don't just stop supporting the team like we did the Hornets. I just think the Hornets were a fad in Charlotte and it wasn't "cool" anymore. They're cool again now, and will be for a few years but the so called fans will do them just like they did the previous Hornets and doing the Bobcats now. I think it would be a waste for MJ to invest in this

and if the product on the court begins to produce, then rebranding is irrelevant

I would agree with that if we didn't just go to the playoffs two seasons ago and still no one came out. Unless the Bobcats have a championship caliber team no one will go to the games and the reason for many is because of the name Bobcats and their disdain for Bob Johnson. I agree it is stupid but it is reality.

Also I am not sure how you can call it wasted money. If it cost 2.5 million to re-brand to the Hornets, and it is done right,, you will probable make for times that amount in ticket sales and merchandise alone.

From what i have gathered from people in Charlotte and their enthusiasm for the Hornets I am willing to bet that MJ would make his money back and then some in 1 year.

It isn't a waste of money if you profit from it. Whether he continues to profit from it will depend on the product on the court and how he handles his business.

But just from the initial excitement of the transition he will make 2.5 million back easily.

Archived