• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers To Be In Cap Trouble In 2013 Too?

Ken

Compare play off appearances and Super Bowl wins in the tenure of the current Steelers FO and the Panthers FO.

I have back the FO more than most anyone on this board, don't try and come at me bro.

LOL. I'm not comparing the two teams. You said, if you aren't getting better in the free agency, you are getting worse. Pittsburgh NEVER does anything in FA so why haven't they gotten worse?

Don't get mad at me because your logic is wrong. I don't have a problem with you disliking the FO. But your statement was incorrect. Heck, Greenbay didn't do anything going into 2011 and guess what? They finished 15-1 and were a better team than they were in 2010 (regular season, anyway).

The key to being successful is building your team through the draft with great picks. Now, if you have a problem with who we've drafted, that's absolutely fine. But don't blame our success, or lack thereof, on not bringing in ample free agents.

LOL. I'm not comparing the two teams. You said, if you aren't getting better in the free agency, you are getting worse. Pittsburgh NEVER does anything in FA so why haven't they gotten worse?

Don't get mad at me because your logic is wrong. I don't have a problem with you disliking the FO. But your statement was incorrect. Heck, Greenbay didn't do anything going into 2011 and guess what? They finished 15-1 and were a better team than they were in 2010 (regular season, anyway).

The key to being successful is building your team through the draft with great picks. Now, if you have a problem with who we've drafted, that's absolutely fine. But don't blame our success, or lack thereof, on not bringing in ample free agents.

As an organization, if you are not getting better you are getting worse.

That includes free agents, draft, keeping the right guys.

Cam's deal was done like all the 1st round picks last year. Its a 4 yr deal with a 5th yr team option.

Not worried about re-signing Cam.

I'm not 100% anti hurney, Im just waiting to see this plan come together, if it doesnt work he/we/Panthers are in BIG trouble.

I'm not picking on Hurney about the 4 year deal, just stating that it is shorter than most of the high picks from years past.

Only stating that we will have to sign him in less than 2 years, and if he continues to play even 75% as well as he did last season will cost us a fortune..and I will be totally on board for the re-sign.

Eagles still had 15 million cap space, now with the signing of Bell they probably still have 10-8 million.

They are mentioned in the artice we are discussing about having trouble next year.

Usually tho, they cant be beat.

I'm not picking on Hurney about the 4 year deal, just stating that it is shorter than most of the high picks from years past.

Only stating that we will have to sign him in less than 2 years, and if he continues to play even 75% as well as he did last season will cost us a fortune..and I will be totally on board for the re-sign.

The deal length had a lot to do with the new CBA.

As an organization, if you are not getting better you are getting worse.

That includes free agents, draft, keeping the right guys.

The draft hasn't even happened yet so it's impossible to know whether we've gotten worse or not. But considering we haven't lost anybody other than minor guys and have brought in special teams aces and a guy who could compete for the starting safety job, I can't imagine how anybody could argue we've somehow gotten worse.

As far as being up against the cap which you noted in your other post, it's merely an overreaction. As noted by someone else on Page 1, we'll be 6 million under the cap on June 1st, better than most teams. We're going to be fine. The cap is easily manipulated and the Redskins proved it in the past and the Saints are proving it now.

Im not worried about next year, especially when this season hasn't even started yet, from my understanding after June 1st we will get an extra 5 to 6 million for Travell Wharton's contract, and if the team restructured Olsen's contract, it is possible that Smtih is working on a contract on the under also, and maybe even Gamble has restructured also. I say we will restructured D Will contract at the end of this year, and if needed even CJ's. Money will be their when Hurney needs it, so don't worry,

Lol we don't have dick lebeau running our defense so let's not pretend we can build a team just like they do and get the same results

Also lmmfbao at the point you made about the packers

Look, you are in such a hurry to defend Hurney you aren't comprehending what I am saying.

Yes Hurney does an OK job with most everything.

Yes the Cap is easier to manipulate than Panthro when you have beer and nachos to offer him.

Yes people freak out over nothing.

MY problem is we/the Panthers can do better.

We can sign our guys cheaper.

We can not poo ourselves over RB's.

We can manage the cap better to get QUALITY deals with QUALITY free Agents.

Im not trying to string Hurney up by the ankles here.

My problem is I want more times like signing Delhomme/Davis and drafting Beason/Kalil in the same year and less giving absurd deals and shitting away draft picks.

I have said Hurney is around 16th in the league as a GM. In 2003-2005 he was more top 10 then IMO. I want that guy back.

Lol we don't have dick lebeau running our defense so let's not pretend we can build a team just like they do and get the same results

Yeah, because Pittsburgh didn't have the same amount of success before LeBeau was there. :rolleyes:

Look, you are in such a hurry to defend Hurney you aren't comprehending what I am saying.

Yes Hurney does an OK job with most everything.

Yes the Cap is easier to manipulate than Panthro when you have beer and nachos to offer him.

Yes people freak out over nothing.

MY problem is we/the Panthers can do better.

We can sign our guys cheaper.

We can not poo ourselves over RB's.

We can manage the cap better to get QUALITY deals with QUALITY free Agents.

Im not trying to string Hurney up by the ankles here.

My problem is I want more times like signing Delhomme/Davis and drafting Beason/Kalil in the same year and less giving absurd deals and shitting away draft picks.

I have said Hurney is around 16th in the league as a GM. In 2003-2005 he was more top 10 then IMO. I want that guy back.

I'm not trying to defend Hurney. As a matter of fact, I agree with most of that. I'm just saying, I don't think it's fair to hold it against him just because he isn't as active in FA as other teams. Which, admittedly, I might have misread what you were saying.

And, I've said this before but I think Hurney trading away draft picks was more to get ready for the upcoming lockout than something we'll see from him again. He was never doing anything like that beforehand. It's also why I think we didn't fire Fox after '09. We were going to have to pay him money while he was gone and Richardson, knowing the lockout was on the way, didn't want to do that.

If Deangelo doesn't produce this year I don't see him being part of the team next year. The 8 million per year or whatever he's getting on that 5 year deal is sure to be backloaded in years 3-5 so IMO he's gonna either get cut or be expected to restructure.

The other aspect is that in the next 2 years this team is going to have to start making moves to accommodate Cam's contract, which if he continues at the pace of his rookie year will be the largest contract in NFL history.

Before lebeau was in pittsburgh they didn't have free agency or a salary cap, numbnuts

Right. LeBeau wasn't there from 1997 to 2003 and the Steelers were still one of the better teams in the league. But continue to spout off garbage.

Archived