• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prisco's Panthers Draft Team Needs

DawgzLife

I think he was spot on...and that surprises the hell out of me since it was Prisco. But everyone needs to realize that he was basing our needs on what players have done in the past, and to be honest, other than showing a few flashes, Barnidge has never done anything to make anyone comfortable that he can duplicate Shockey's production last year. I think he has the tools, but he hasn't shown it yet (IMO, that was due to Fox's system, but still a valid reason to believe we may still need more at TE).

As for WR, as much as everyone likes LaFells development, he still only pulled in 36 or 37 receptions last year...and that's when he really was set up to become a bigger part of the offense. And while many think Gettis can become a key player for us, the reality is that he only showed a couple of flashes. He didn't break out and all we have to go on is speculation on whether he would have if he hadn't gone on IR last year. Also, it's been reported that the team would have taken Green if we weren't comfortable with Cam, so that alone should give you an indication of the impression Rivera had of Gettis and Lafell...both potential guys, but not enough to be content with as our #2 and 3 receivers. And while he's had a chance to see LaFell up close and personal, he really hasn't seen enough of Gettis to change his initial impressions.

don't understand the lovefest with Barnidge one bit. The guy gets open as much as Michael Gaines

it's too bad Hurney doesn't read Shockey's position as "Running Back" otherwise he would have had a $30 million extension by week 6 last season

When Barnidge ran a pattern, he usually did get open, but he was usually the 3rd or 4th option, so rarely had the ball thrown to him.

If you think TE isn't a need, you either think Barnidge is jesus in disguise or that TEs aren't important to this offense.

Either way, I don't like you.

You are evaluating Barnidge only by years where Fox was the HC. Tony Gonzalez would look like poo in the offense Fox ran here.

You are evaluating Barnidge only by years where Fox was the HC. Tony Gonzalez would look like poo in the offense Fox ran here.

I'm not judging him at all. It's hard to judge somebody based on nothing. I do know that he's a complete uncertainty. It's hard to justify as a good idea going into the season with a huge question mark at an important position. I don't understand why people are so comfortable with little depth at an important option (Olsen isn't exactly wowing me that much either). I figure people still haven't come around to respecting the position as a legitimate factor with how easy and simple it is to manipulate defenses with mere mismatches. Our defense was really awful last season, but can we really afford to just sit around and let our offense get worse? Ignoring question marks on offense and focusing only on defense isn't going to automatically make our defense better or our team overall. I think it's a need. If that means 6th round, so be it.

How often did we run two tight end sets last year with no fullback? It feels like a majority of the time. It seems this year we will run more fullback sets because of Tolbert with 1 TE and 2 WRs. Tolbert will become a safety valve as a pass catching FB and replace that 2nd TE.

We ran a lot of sets where Shockey/Olsen where the H back....Tolbert will likely do that.

Archived