• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Re: new outlets with USB plugs, anyone seen GFCI versions of them?

g5jamz

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Anyone? Oh...and I'm cheap too.

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Usually one GFCI will service several outlets, sometimes not even in the same room. Have you tripped a nearby GFCI and checked if the outlet on the bar is still live? (the USB outlets are like $20 at Lowes)

Why are you installing a GFI anyway?

You can get a GFCI breaker, but thats kinda pricey. You can wire in 3 standard receps behind a GFI and they will all be protected. If you already have a GFI in place, then just come off the back of it. If you are installing a new GFI simply make it a double gang box with the GFI on 1 side & the USB right next to it, protected...

Its real easy, GFIs are very specific about which side is line & load, or in & out...

Archived