• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

South Carolina Shark Surprise

Johnny Rockets

Come play with me down there next week!

We have a friend that lives down there and is getting married this coming weekend and thought about it but Hell, I still haven't recovered from last week. Another week or weekend would kill me. What part of MB are you staying at?

There have been 5 shark "attacks" off MB this year. 4 in one day and 1 about a week earlier. Happened about a month ago and most likely bull sharks.

I go down there quite frequently and was there just last week and the only thing that has attack me is about 4 bottles of Sambuca and a couple of gallons of vodka. I barely escaped with my life.

Sambuca is of the DEVIL!!! A evil concoction created from the fiery pits of hell!!! I used to enjoy it. Then one night i enjoyed way to much. The result was a devestating hangover unlike anything I had ever experienced. The memories still haunt me worse than the orange cisco and crazy horse malt liquor episode of 1989. Got a little off shark topic. My bad.

I'm going to Oak Island with the fam for 9 days in the beginning of August. I think Oak Island is like an hour N of Myrtle. Nestled between Holden Beach and Cherry Grove.

Anyway, I like to swim in the ocean and I will go out far as long as I'm with someone. I like the rush, not gonna lie.

However, once I go out, and I don't care how deep it is, once something rubs up against my leg I am GTFO and not getting back in.

I also heard that when you see small schools of fish jumping out of the water around where the waves break, that is a sign that there is a shark around.

They say that the majority of people that have spent anytime in the ocean have been within 20 feet of a shark and never knew it. I surfed a lot growing up in NJ and saw just one. One time I had something bump my board as I was laying on it and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Don't know what it was, and don't want to know but it was either a shark or a dolphin. Never got back in the water that day.

Well this is lovely... I've been at the coast since early june and the only thing that I've been paranoid about is rip-currents.

I have noticed fish jumping in the surf and just thought it was normal. But now that I think about it, when I see small fish jumping at the lake, that's a good place to cast for a big bass. So if these fish jumping out the ocean are almost as big as a nice bass themselves, how big is what's scaring them?!

Oh boy.

Don't freak out. Dolphin love to herd in large fish (red drum) for eating too. Just avoid murky water where a shark like that will reaction bite at anything. When the water's pretty clear...sharks aren't just going to randomly attack things.

There have been 5 shark "attacks" off MB this year. 4 in one day and 1 about a week earlier. Happened about a month ago and most likely bull sharks.

I go down there quite frequently and was there just last week and the only thing that has attack me is about 4 bottles of Sambuca and a couple of gallons of vodka. I barely escaped with my life.

Last I heard was that they think they were Blacktips. The bite radiuses were inconsistent with Bull Sharks.

We are heading down in 2 weeks....during Shark Week on Discovery Channel Week.

My 12 yo daughter is saying she won't go in the water.

They say that the majority of people that have spent anytime in the ocean have been within 20 feet of a shark and never knew it. I surfed a lot growing up in NJ and saw just one. One time I had something bump my board as I was laying on it and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Don't know what it was, and don't want to know but it was either a shark or a dolphin. Never got back in the water that day.

Never seen one swimming.

However, I have seen MANY when scuba diving. Been on shark feeding dives....seen reef sharks, bonnethead sharks (smaller hammerheads) and even a Tiger Shark in open water.

Even did a Great White Shark Cage Dive off the coast of San Diego many years ago. That was the most incredible thing I have seen. Several 15-20 foot great whites coming up from below and biting at the cage. My heart was racing.

Last I heard was that they think they were Blacktips. The bite radiuses were inconsistent with Bull Sharks.

That makes sense because from what I could tell by the article I read, the bites weren't terrible....stitches and such but not chunks taken out of people. When a bull shark gets you, you usually lose a couple lbs. of flesh.

Never seen one swimming.

However, I have seen MANY when scuba diving. Been on shark feeding dives....seen reef sharks, bonnethead sharks (smaller hammerheads) and even a Tiger Shark in open water.

Even did a Great White Shark Cage Dive off the coast of San Diego many years ago. That was the most incredible thing I have seen. Several 15-20 foot great whites coming up from below and biting at the cage. My heart was racing.

Yeah, not sure I could do that. I even opted out of the whole snorkling with the sting ray thing in the Bahamas. I bet that was quite the experience though.

I'm going to Oak Island with the fam for 9 days in the beginning of August. I think Oak Island is like an hour N of Myrtle. Nestled between Holden Beach and Cherry Grove.

Anyway, I like to swim in the ocean and I will go out far as long as I'm with someone. I like the rush, not gonna lie.

However, once I go out, and I don't care how deep it is, once something rubs up against my leg I am GTFO and not getting back in.

I also heard that when you see small schools of fish jumping out of the water around where the waves break, that is a sign that there is a shark around.

A little girl got bitten by a shark at ocean isle beach just a stones throw from OI a couple weeks ago - she wound up with 42 stitches.

edited - make that 140 stitches

Besides the four injured on June 14, a 25-year-old man was bitten on the foot about 7:45 p.m. June 3 while swimming near the 2nd Avenue Pier in Myrtle Beach, police said. A 6-year-old Ohio girl needed 140 stitches Monday to repair damage to her leg from a bite at Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. Her mother saw sharks chasing fish that were jumping

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/06/21/2899279/experts-say-flurry-of-shark-bites.html#storylink=cpy

Ive swam the channels behind Figure 8 Island down to Holden Beach for more than 20 years and never seen a shark - knocking on wood. I did see one one day about 6 feet out from the beach at Carolina Beach years ago.

Archived