• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Raleigh Suck?

Johnny Rockets

i'm in the nc central/alston ave./fayetteville road area every day and can vouch for this. it's not a war zone or anything but it helps to watch your back and not do anything stupid if you're out by yourself.

I went to Lincoln community health center for a prior job and it was rough.

I talked to the ex and she said that she would drive half way on the weekends so the drive wouldn't be bad. The part I don't like is that I see my daughter 3-4 times a week now. Even if it's just to run up to the house and hang out with her for an hour or two or take her to dinner. She is still having a hard time with me not living there anymore and knows she can call me and I will come see her anytime, right away. I wouldn't be able to do that anymore if I were 2 1/2 hours away and I am not sure I can do that to her (or me). Dunno, going to be a tough choice but I don't see how I can justify choosing money over the happiness of my daughter. Going to talk to her about it this weekend to get a sense of how she feels about it. .

Thanks all for the info on the area!

Is the money difference enough to give her a better life down the road.

Paid for college?

You not living in debt?

Being able to go on vacations with her?

Her being able to count on you to help her if she needs it?

Just a thought.

Raleigh is a great city, huge changes over the last 10 years. Its pretty ramarkable whats happening downtown. The downtown/glenwood south district nightlife is second to none in NC. Companies are flocking to this area and for good reason. But the family thing trumps all.

Once Raleigh gets busy reworking the Moore Union square area, it will develp more there as well. Fayetteville St is revived along with nice hotel, convention center, and amphitheater.

Plus...it's home to the only professional sports team that has won it's top achievement. ;) (stupid Kasay and his out of bound kick)

Creamery district (Glenwood area) is awesome and bustling with night life and great food.

I hope the warehouse district improves. And when Moore Union steps it up it will be even better and there's a free trolley that takes you around all districts.

You're still just a 20-30 min drive to any of the 3 major colleges. Small pods of nightlife spread out. Upgraded malls...if that's your thing. 2.5 hours closer to beach. Voted one of the best places to raise a family in numerous publications.

I'm a native North Carolinian and feel very fortunate to live in Raleigh. And I went to UNCC '93 and loved it when I was there. I've witnessed a Raleigh transformation.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/11491502/

Like I said...avoid Durham. Even groups of thugs are terrorizing the American Tobacco trail in Durham.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11455580/

Couple of years ago...there were people being randomly shot at on the Durham Freeway. If it's dark...don't be in Durham and if you're at a game or the DPAC...make sure you're with a group and look like you know what you're doing.

http://www.wral.com/...story/11491502/

Like I said...avoid Durham. Even groups of thugs are terrorizing the American Tobacco trail in Durham.

http://www.wral.com/...story/11455580/

Couple of years ago...there were people being randomly shot at on the Durham Freeway. If it's dark...don't be in Durham and if you're at a game or the DPAC...make sure you're with a group and look like you know what you're doing.

That's why I said stay south of MLK.

Archived