• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WTF

cookinwithgas

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-and-gold/Report-Bounty-suspensions-overturned-168952706.html?hpt=hp_t3

NEW ORLEANS - An appeals panel for the NFL has vacated the penalties against four current and former Saints* players who were suspended in the alleged bounty scandal.

The ruling by the panel basically says the players can play again, and that someone else will eventually decide penalties, if there are any.

That means that for the time being Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith and former Saint Scott Fujita can play now, though there is still a possibility that penalties could eventually come down. Another former Saint, Anthony Hargrove, is not currently with a team, but he could sign and play immediately.

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma tweeted "Victory is mine!"

Tulane Sports Law Professor Gabe Feldman said in a Tweet that the case would be sent back to the commissioner for a redetermination of appropriate penalties.

Ruling just means Goodell has to start over with player suspensions and be more clear on what they are being suspended for. If it is pay for performance, it is not up to him since it is salary cap infractions. Conduct detrimential to the league, players are back watching at home by Goodells decision.

Coachs are still fuged regardless.

Thing is, Ethan, the commish wil likely still be staring down the barrels of lawsuit guns and, more seriously, a discovery phase. Unless he's got a legitimate silver bullet that he's been saving then his evidence could very well get laughed out of court along with the suspensions. This almost happened once already. If it does happen, then Vilma's defamation suit potentially levels up to "poo just got real" status.

Just let the CBA provisions serve the players stiff fines and vow to always rule on the side of player saftey™ and blah blah blah. America is ready to be over it, even the swampier parts.

Vilma probably never sees the field in 2012 anyways, or ever again for that matter. Why risk all those awesome CBA powers over this? My bet is that's exactly what the owners are asking themselves and possibly their commisioner at this very moment.

The entire case with the Saints* was an attempt to draw publicity to the league in the offseason and to change the culture of the league. There really wasn't anything too unique about their bounty system. Players want to hurt other players and it's not good business for the league. If Tom Brady goes out week one, it is bad business for the NFL and the Patriots.

They'll be playing flag football soon.

The NFL used the Saints*** as a "cover your ass" example for the concussion lawsuits that were filed. They never produced CONCRETE evidence that there was a bounty program going on. Goodell over-stepped his bounds with the suspensions.

At 1st I was ready to crucify the Saints** my self, but as the time went by and more and more information (mis-information), was let out. I started trying to read between the lines. I totally agree with what you are saying. Yeah the Saints** might have played a little dirty at times, but what team hasnt played like that also.... I believe there was a pay for performance and for big hits. But I think Goodell exaggerated this mess too much.....

At 1st I was ready to crucify the Saints** my self, but as the time went by and more and more information (mis-information), was let out. I started trying to read between the lines. I totally agree with what you are saying. Yeah the Saints** might have played a little dirty at times, but what team hasnt played like that also.... I believe there was a play for performance and for big hits. But I think Goodell exaggerated this mess too much.....

Also, if the Saints* bounty program was so bad why can't the sports media produce a highlight package of Saint players hitting guys late or any multiple unsportsmanlike foul penalties. In fact the Saints* personal foul penalties were anything out of the ordinary during that time. This whole thing has been trumped up by the NFL.

Archived