• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB Controversy in Oakland?

Mr. Scot

One SI writer thinks it's possible...

Drawing long-term conclusions from a May minicamp is always dangerous, but after watching Russell last weekend it's not a stretch to say the odds are against him becoming a consistent playmaker this year. The strong-armed former LSU product elicited occasional "wows" from onlookers, such as when he found tight end Tony Stewart with a laser pass down the right seam. But mostly he struggled with his accuracy and touch, at one point tossing six consecutive incompletions.

None of this should come as a surprise. Young quarterbacks typically struggle when faced with major changes. The Raiders needed only to have looked across the bay, where 2005 No. 1 pick Alex Smith, who has had a disappointing career with San Francisco, is now on his fifth coordinator in as many seasons.

At the same time Russell cannot be absolved of blame should he struggle. Elite QBs are usually gym rats who are consumed with the game. No one has ever described Russell in that manner. At the owners meetings in March, coach Tom Cable spoke positively of Russell but added: "If he can accept the responsibility of being an NFL quarterback -- working more, working harder, working longer than everybody else, accepting the responsibility that his teammates look to him as the face of the organization, that he has to go above and beyond almost on a daily basis... (if) he can accept that and become that, he'll be fine. He'll be great."

If?

IF?!

The Raiders can wrap the Russell situation in a positive bow if they like, but the signing of veteran QB Jeff Garcia easily can be construed as a means of protecting themselves "if" Russell doesn't accept the leadership reins. Garcia seemed to echo Cable when he told the Contra Costa Times of Russell: "He has to understand it takes a certain drive and dedication (to be successful), not only how you perform on the field but how teammates follow your lead."

Russell seems reluctant to take the lead at times. He skipped some voluntary workouts earlier in the offseason -- some speculated it was due to the death of a close uncle -- but Yahoo! Sports also reported that he blew off scheduled February workouts with a college teammate because he wanted to relax.

Work ethic, new position coach working against Raiders' Russell

Lots of pure speculation in there, but some interesting tidbits.

The "poor work ethic" stuff is troubling if true. Russell may not be handling the transition well from being the "Golden Boy" to the guy who has to work for it. A fair number of star college players have that trouble.

With that said, Garcia as a starter in a non-West Coast offense has "bad idea" written all over it :nonod:

As to the Raiders, so you have a young QB who's actually starting to show that maybe he can step up, and you reward that by getting him completely new coaches and a young, unproven receiver and a possible threat to his job? Brilliant!

But then, it is the Raiders :rolleyes:

from roto

Oakland has a new QBs coach, new pass game coordinator, and WRs and TEs coaches who've never been lead position coaches. Perhaps this helps explain Russell's poor spring, but all the negative reports since he entered the league have done nothing to help him shed the emerging bust label

the way oakland does..how can anybody do good...even garcia was said to look bad at oaklands camp..i think its sorta unfair to make this year make or break for russell..seeing as oakland cant seem to do anything right..there best chance at a win this year is too become a run first team like us

This is why I would rule out ANY QB who didn't have the work ethic, leadership etc. FIRST. Only then I would look at measurables. If a QB isn't great in the areas he has 100% control over, I don't want any part of him on my team. Period. Ever.

I am pretty sure THE thing that led the Colts to pick Manning over Leaf was strictly the work ethic/seriousness with which each took the game.

i agree but too many times the reporters put results with work ethic..and for the most part its true...but sometimes its not..look at us every year reporters say we need to draft a TE..why..they look at stats and production and say because of that we need to take a TE when if fact are TE are blockers first...i thinks its the same with russel no matter how hard you work or dont..you cant throw the ball and block for yourself.

This is why I would rule out ANY QB who didn't have the work ethic, leadership etc. FIRST. Only then I would look at measurables. If a QB isn't great in the areas he has 100% control over, I don't want any part of him on my team. Period. Ever.

I am pretty sure THE thing that led the Colts to pick Manning over Leaf was strictly the work ethic/seriousness with which each took the game.

Yup.

I will only look at how QB's prepare, then if they stayed all four years, then completion %, then system, arm strength, and size.

Archived