• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your top HC Candidates

Dash Global

Well, its official (or so I hope) that Rivera will not be retained at the end of the season.

With that said who are your top coaching candidates (lets be realistic here)

1) Kevin Summlin

I think for us to get to the elite level Cam needs to be developed into an elite QB. Summlin has a track record of making sub par QBs that don't even get drafted look All Universe. He offenses have always been awesome and he doesnt rely on my gimmick option based poo. On top of that he is doing an incredible job in his first year in the SEC even knocking off an undefeated Bama squad.

2) Brian Kelly

This guy is a winner. Remarkable years at Cincinnati and has already got ND back to the promise land.

3) Jon Gruden

4) David Shaw

Shaw is my #1. Have not read the threads up to this point, but do not underestimate him,

And it won't surprise me if he gets interest again, including from us.

I would say I'm always a little iffy on guys whose names are attached to star players. There's always the question of how much is them and how much is the player (Joe Philbin, for example).

Granted, that's not always fair, but it's a valid concern.

Me too, but were Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart or tommy Maddox stars? And was Aaron Rogers a star in his first few years? That's what I'm saying.. And also my one reservation about him was that he was also passed up many times and that he is known to one of those "quiet" leaders, if you know what I mean

Me too, but were Elvis Grbac, Kordell Stewart or tommy Maddox stars? And was Aaron Rogers a star in his first few years? That's what I'm saying.. And also my one reservation about him was that he was also passed up many times and that he is known to one of those "quiet" leaders, if you know what I mean

I have no issue with 'quiet'. I know half the board thinks cussing, stomping and spitting on the sidelines is equivalent to good coaching. Guys like Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and Bill Belichick say otherwise.

here's one thing that is going to suck. there's going to be several high profile, big market teams looking for HCs after the season. among those i'm thinking philly, dallas, and the jets. also probably the bills, chiefs, jaguars, browns, lions, and of course the chargers will be in the market.

that's a lot of potential competition and several of those teams will probably be throwing around tons of money.

some helpful things going our way (not in order, btw)...

1) ernie accorsi. the guy comes with some serious clout in the league and not only will that help us land a good GM, it will help sell us to a potential HC, imo. i know accorsi's job is temporary (although i would love for him to stay on as a consultant), but the fact that we sought him out and he agreed to work with us shows a level of seriousness about changing things around here that hasn't existed in a while.

2) cam newton. aside from being incredibly maligned by the media (and a handful of turds in here) it's pretty well known just how dynamic not only a presence he is but a QB. last year showed that he could handle most offenses, imo. no one is going to blame much of the poofest of a season this offense is having on him. most recognize that it is chud (and rivera) that has been the problem. there are a few old school traditional coaches who wouldn't appreciate the whole cam-on-the-field package wanting to have a pure pocket passer (which he could be, tho i think you would be leaving points and wins on the table if you put him in a box). for a forward thinking coach, or at least one that is in touch with the state of the league and the direction it's going, they should be excited about the prospect of coaching him. he is the new prototype.

3) luke keuchly. that kid is one of the best MLBs in the league....as a rookie. he's got a bright future and is as important to the defense as cam is to the offense. beason is the heart and soul of the panthers D (well, i think he shares that with TD, tbh) but keuchly is the guy that is going to get that defense tight on the field.

4) overall a young and talented team. there will be a certain amount of housecleaning to do, but it's not the dumpster fire rebuild that would be necessary in several of those other teams. there is a lot of talent here...it's just young and needing of better direction (and more stamina). we had a top 5 offense last year and this year we have seen a lot of talent on defense. the Dline, the LB corps, the young corners...crap, even charles godfrey has impressed lately as well as martin when he's been on the field.

theres just a lot to work with on the team already. culturally, there needs to be some guys gone from the team from the older more complacent era.... gross, williams, hangman, and gamble for starters. overall, there is a good bit of talent that can still be molded into a championship team.

what it's going to take, though, is $$$$$$. jerry has to know that to get the best GM and certainly the best HC he's got to be willing to open that wallet uncomfortably wide. he's got to decide if he wants to be frugal or if he wants to win a ring before he dies. he needs to decide if he really wants to make it up to the fans for the crap he's allowed to be put on their table. we all know he's not afraid to spend on players and he did make fox one of the top paid coaches in the league. he just needs to be convinced that he's got to compete with the amount of money that the bigger market teams are willing to shell out to get the man they want. hopefully, this is a place where accorsi will be able to help. i'm pretty much hoping that as a consultant, accorsi is a miracle worker.

Archived