• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nice piece on Goodson

Fireball77

I came on this message board when the panthers drafted goodson and got jumped by panthers fans who probably didn't know a thing about this guy. Goodson was one of the top 5 sought after RBs coming out of houston area highschools. His name didn't really get out there like it should have because he chose to go to TXAM instead of UT where he would have been well known. Only problem with going to UT they wanted to redhsirt him....they redshirt a lot of freshman...they even redshirted Vince Young. I was hoping the Texans had taken Mike and let him play in his hometown. You Panthers fans are going to be happy with this kid. Between him and Williams and Stewart, the Panthers running game should be the best in the NFL.

I'm more intrigued by the possibilities of Goodson as a receiver than anything else. We need another speedy weapon to help Smitty and Jake out a little bit.

It does worry me that Goodson seems to have had so many problems in his college career. You never know though, sometimes a guy just needs a new start. Hopefully, Goodson will take full advantage of the opportunity he has with the Panthers.

Goodsons biggest problem in college was playing on a team that sucked..lol:coolgleamA:

I came on this message board when the panthers drafted goodson and got jumped by panthers fans who probably didn't know a thing about this guy. Goodson was one of the top 5 sought after RBs coming out of houston area highschools. His name didn't really get out there like it should have because he chose to go to TXAM instead of UT where he would have been well known. Only problem with going to UT they wanted to redhsirt him....they redshirt a lot of freshman...they even redshirted Vince Young. I was hoping the Texans had taken Mike and let him play in his hometown. You Panthers fans are going to be happy with this kid. Between him and Williams and Stewart, the Panthers running game should be the best in the NFL.

:lol: really?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2022379&postcount=8

:lol:

anyway...he'll be playing the slot mostly because that is what they want to do with him. unless there is some unfortunate incident that shall not be mentioned to one of the other guys ahead of him he will be seen mainly on 3rd downs and on returns.

i have no doubt that he won't be able to make some plays for us and the guy has some speed and i looks like some talent but he's still only going to be used situationally. he'll be a good returner and a kevin faulk type RB with pretty close to the same results and i will be totally happy with that. if something happens to the other two guys...i'm not expecting him to do as well coming out of the backfield unless he beefs up. he's not going to be able to go down the middle very easily, esp. compared to williams/stewart.

:lol: really?

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2022379&postcount=8

:lol:

anyway...he'll be playing the slot mostly because that is what they want to do with him. unless there is some unfortunate incident that shall not be mentioned to one of the other guys ahead of him he will be seen mainly on 3rd downs and on returns.

i have no doubt that he won't be able to make some plays for us and the guy has some speed and i looks like some talent but he's still only going to be used situationally. he'll be a good returner and a kevin faulk type RB with pretty close to the same results and i will be totally happy with that. if something happens to the other two guys...i'm not expecting him to do as well coming out of the backfield unless he beefs up. he's not going to be able to go down the middle.

Not sure what y'all will do with him but I know that backfield is loaded and young back there. I still wish we would have taken him. He may not go up the middle as much but he'll get to the corner for you and then lookout.

Ugh...let's just see what happens this season man. Goodson hasn't done anything yet, and the very thought of trading Williams gives me a headache.

Just a way IMO to get an easy 1st, and not have to sign a RB to a long contract after their best years are behind them. (usually)

I call it the James/Faulk theory.

Psssst I didn't come up with it, I just really like the idea of using it.

Not sure what y'all will do with him but I know that backfield is loaded and young back there. I still wish we would have taken him. He may not go up the middle as much but he'll get to the corner for you and then lookout.

much more of what i'm expecting. he's just another guy that DCs and MLBs are going to be having to keep an eye on.

Just a way IMO to get an easy 1st, and not have to sign a RB to a long contract after their best years are behind them. (usually)

I call it the James/Faulk theory.

Psssst I didn't come up with it, I just really like the idea of using it.

I just don't see it happening. First of all, there is a good chance that Goodson will never be a true feature RB like Williams and Stewart...especially since his biggest weaknesses are blocking, inside running, and ball security, while his biggest asset is working in space. He really plays a different position that Williams, even though they're both listed as RB's.

Secondly, there is no reason to believe that Williams won't get a contract extension long before he becomes a FA in 2011.

I just don't see it happening. First of all, there is a good chance that Goodson will never be a true feature RB like Williams and Stewart...especially since his biggest weaknesses are blocking, inside running, and ball security, while his biggest asset is working in space. He really plays a different position that Williams, even though they're both listed as RB's.

Secondly, there is no reason to believe that Williams won't get a contract extension long before he becomes a FA in 2011.

I am not talking about replacing him with Goodson. I am saying trade a RB after two or three great years in the league, for a first rounder, and never have to pay a 27-28 year old rb big money.

Not to mention we already have another no. 1 rb on the roster.

Archived