• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Down Mock

Catalyst

Bored and figured I'd do a mock based on the scenario of us trading down and getting a 3rd rounder back. Here I assume the Colts trade up in order to get Jonathan Hankins as they need a nose tackle badly. In return we get 3rd and 6th round picks.

1st (f/IND): Eric Reid, S, LSU - It's possible he'd be there in the 2nd, but we're talking a matter of 10-15 picks here so the safe bet is to get him here. It's not like there's anyone likely to be available who is clearly better at any position. The more I learn and watch about Reid the more I feel he's going to be a stud in the NFL.

2nd: Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama - The Colts opt to move up and take Hankins, thus eliminating the biggest threat for Williams to go in the 1st round. Some say he's better in a 3-4 scheme, but I like him as a nose tackle in our scheme as well. He's not much of a pass rusher, but is great at occupying blockers and with Dwan, Hardy, and Johnson we already have the pass rush covered.

3rd (f/IND): Larry Warford, G, Kentucky - Depending on what we do in free agency to address the OL we badly need help at guard. Warford would compete for a starting job from day one, though Ideally we'd also bring in a mid-level veteran to compete with him as well.

4th: Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia - I think he should go higher than this, but from what I'm reading he's projected as a 3rd-4th rounder. If he does drop this far, size by damned, we need to take him. He'll be a terror as a slot receiver at the very least, IMO.

5th: Kyle Long, OT, Oregon - Another situation where he could very well be gone, but again, every year we see good players drop much lower than expected. Most sites have him projected a 4th or 5th round prospect. He's the son of Howie Long and brother of Chris Long and played in an elite offense at Oregon.

6th (f/IND): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State - He's not Caleb Sturgis, but he's a solid kicker and we can probably take him at least a round later than Sturgis, if not two rounds later.

7th: Corey Broomfield, CB, Mississippi State - A developmental corner late with a lot of raw talent.

He's projected as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. It's by no means a big reach.

Oh he's ranked as a late first in early January? Yeah nothing will probably change by April, good call.

Anyone that actually looks at his tape or at least does more than just looking at stats and youtube highlights, would know that he takes the worst angles and is very raw. Definitely one of the most overrated prospects I've seen in a while.

But yeah, totally would be worth the reach with intend the deepest safety classes in recent memory...

Archived