• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A.I to the 'Cats?

joemac

yes because AI is still as good as he was in 01

You forgot to mention that it doesn't matter how much talent is around him...He doesn't make his teammates better so the point moot.

He played on a team that might have been the 2nd best team in the playoffs (Denver) without him. The Bobcats don't have as much talent as Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony, JR Smith, Nene, and Anderson.

You forgot to mention that it doesn't matter how much talent is around him...He doesn't make his teammates better so the point moot.

He played on a team that might have been the 2nd best team in the playoffs (Denver) without him. The Bobcats don't have as much talent as Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony, JR Smith, Nene, and Anderson.

You're right. Those aren't exactly roll players that allow Allen to play HIS style of Basketball. Taking nothing away from Gerald or anyone else on the team, but the Bobcats don't have a real established offensive weapon on the same level as Melo in Denver. It can be hard to mesh stars like that, but with the Bobcats it won't be that big of a transition. He'll fit in better here than he did in Denver.

yes because AI is still as good as he was in 01

Wouldn't that be balanced by having more talent than he did in '01?

AIs not a PG.

AI has been playing PG for a while. His assist numbers have climbed the last few years as well. He's a scoring PG though, but his assist average isn't bad for that, it's a 6.2 career average. His first two years in Philly I believe they had him at Point as well. He played it a bit later on in his Philly run as well, also played it for Denver and put up good numbers the seasons he played there as well. So he can play the point and I'd rather have him play the point then the 2.

It seems like it may actually happen there is an article in the Herald today and Iverson does have a meeting with the Cats TODAY. Here is the article

The Charlotte Bobcats have an owner who's losing millions and looking to sell. They've struggled to move tickets, win games and become relevant in a town that used to adore the NBA.

Allen Iverson could change that. Pair the polarizing guard with coach Larry Brown again and they wouldn't just be talking about games in Charlotte, they'd be talking about practice, too.

Whether Iverson is reunited with his former adversary-turned-buddy Brown is Charlotte's most intriguing storyline as the NBA's free agency period opens Wednesday.

Iverson is a 34-year-old free agent, far removed from his NBA MVP days and certainly about to be paid much less than the nearly $22 million he made last season, when he was traded from Denver to Detroit.

Seven years after Iverson's famous “We're talking about practice!” rant directed at Brown when they were in Philadelphia, the two have made up. Iverson was spotted in Charlotte in May, when Brown said he'd have no problems coaching him again and Iverson's agent indicated his client would be open to playing for the Bobcats.

Leon Rose declined further comment on Tuesday, but he's expected to talk to the Bobcats as the free agency negotiating period starts Wednesday.

“Even though there are things that went on during our careers, the work he did was phenomenal,” Brown said recently. “He wants to win, he competes every night, he plays hurt.”

Brown did question whether the Bobcats, who have never won more than 35 games in a season, would be a good fit for a player seeking to win an NBA title before retiring. But Rose said his client would have no qualms coming to Charlotte.

The Bobcats were the lowest-scoring team in the NBA last season, but Iverson's role here would be uncertain.

The Bobcats have depth in the backcourt. They drafted shooting guard Gerald Henderson with the 12th pick to back up Raja Bell. D.J. Augustin is expected to again back up point guard Raymond Felton.

Charlotte last week gave Felton a one-year, $5.5 million qualifying offer to make him a restricted free agent and plan to sign him to a long-term deal this summer.

“I don't see any situation where he will not be with this team,” managing partner Michael Jordan said. “Granted, we've got a lot of business decisions to make and a lot of negotiations ahead. But I anticipate us keeping and signing Raymond Felton, without a doubt.”

Under that scenario, Iverson would likely have to take on a lesser role, something he resisted in Detroit last season.

It's also uncertain if the two sides could agree on a contract. The Bobcats, who are over the salary cap, will probably not offer more than a midlevel exception of about $5.6 million for a free agent.

Management has been told by owner Bob Johnson, who has slashed non-basketball payroll and is exploring selling the team, not to exceed the luxury tax threshold of about $70 million.

“I don't think it's fair for us to get anywhere close to the luxury tax numbers,” general manager Rod Higgins said. “We're just trying to get to the playoffs. We're not there yet, so it's going to be hard pressed for us to go to ownership and say we want to go to the tax level.”

The Bobcats' biggest need is the frontcourt. Injury-prone power forward Sean May becomes an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday after Charlotte declined to give him a one-year qualifying offer of $3.7 million.

The Bobcats could still try to re-sign May for less, and they must address Boris Diaw's backup because veteran Juwan Howard is also a free agent. Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess, both of whom have played for Brown, are available.

Charlotte has big money tied up in reserve big men Nazr Mohammed ($13.2 million owed over the next two seasons) and DeSagana Diop ($19.4 million over three years), but didn't make a draft-week trade to clear cap space to be a major player in free agency.

But with Cleveland, Orlando, Atlanta and Washington all making recent deals, the Bobcats may have a tough time becoming a playoff team in an improved Eastern Conference next season if they don't make a move or two to upgrade offensively.

Johnson again declined an interview request Tuesday, two days after the Houston Chronicle reported former Rockets executive George Postolos made an inquiry about buying the Bobcats. Postolos declined comment in an e-mail response. … With the Bobcats not fielding a summer league team to save money, Henderson will play for Minnesota's entry in Las Vegas July 10-19. Second-round pick Derrick Brown will play for Utah in Orlando July 6-10.

I was thinking about that but Iverson may only stay in the league two or three more years, so trading Bell should not be an option. At least hopefully is not an option.

Bell will be 33 when next season starts and has definitely hit the peak of his potential. Iverson has a better skillset than Bell does and is only about a year older. If we can sign AI, I see no reason why we can't at least explore moving Raja

Potential Starting Line up?

PG-Iverson

SG-Felton (or you could flip him and A.I)

SF-Wallace

PF-Diaw

C-Okafor

Sounds good to me. Great scoring SF and PG. Athletic PF. Great defensive Okafor, solid all-around player in Felton. Not to mention Radmonavic, Augustin, Henderson coming off the bench.

AI has been playing PG for a while. His assist numbers have climbed the last few years as well. He's a scoring PG though, but his assist average isn't bad for that, it's a 6.2 career average. His first two years in Philly I believe they had him at Point as well. He played it a bit later on in his Philly run as well, also played it for Denver and put up good numbers the seasons he played there as well. So he can play the point and I'd rather have him play the point then the 2.

He's played that, but his best fit is at SG.

He is best paired with a taller PG who plays good defense.

Potential Starting Line up?

PG-Iverson

SG-Felton (or you could flip him and A.I)

SF-Wallace

PF-Diaw

C-Okafor

Sounds good to me. Great scoring SF and PG. Athletic PF. Great defensive Okafor, solid all-around player in Felton. Not to mention Radmonavic, Augustin, Henderson coming off the bench.

All bias aside, that is a solid line up with good youth. Still need to find some better post players off the bench..

The more I think about AI in Charlotte, the more I believe he would help this team.

Archived