• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman not sold on read option

Gabeking

Gettleman was interviewed on NFL sirius network this morning. He did say that the read option was a play you would use some of the time but it exposes your quarterback to too much wear and tear. Look at RG3 as a prime example. He said that it was not a scheme or a system. He didn't say they wouldn't use the pistol but he did say that we will run a power running game and that Cam would need to be able to pass from the pocket to make any running game work. And he expressed confidence that he could. He said he was excited to be here and would be working hard to make sure we had the talent to succeed. He said that many times coaches and their families moved around a lot and he wanted to build something where there would be stability and coaches and their families could be here for the long term. He said he has a working knowledge of the cap but wasn't an expert. He was going to farm that out since you can't be an expert on everything.

The discussion from Ross and Bob Papa was that he really seemed like a football guy. He knows what he knows and he knows what he doesn't know. He knows football and the scouting piece. He isn't a bean counter and will leave that to others.

My take is that he will be involved in the football part and how players are being utilized more so than looking at specific Xs and Os. He won't sign a bunch of runners only to have the team ignore them like Hurney and Chud did. He wanted Shula because Shula is the best guy to know what they ran the past 2 years and what Cam can do best. He will take the team back to a more traditional offense while still staying creative. Should be a win-win for everyone.

Guest BlueBoy

The second they start the season 0-4 while the seahawks and 9ers are 4-0 blowing out all their opponents they'll scratch all that off season mumbo jumbo and unleash Cam. GMs do get fired too. After watching Cam manhandled the Falcons this year and you're telling me that offense is gonna be scratched?

That sounds like sabotaging to me. Could it be that there are some people who doesn't want dual threat QBs from taking over the league so they'll sabotage even their own team?

Cam also broke his leg behind that OL against the Saints 'pocket passing'.

Go back to that interview that he gave yesterday to the Charlotte CBS station and listen to what Gettleman says about college ball players and how the "hybrid" type players don't work in the NFL. He re-emphasizes that what is important right now is to change what the scouts are looking for.

I expect a lot of changes in the next few weeks.

Some of them may spell a hard slog for Ron in 2013..

Cam's short yardage work exposes him much more than his read option work....

RGIII is a poor example of why you shouldn't use it, b/c he has always been a magnet for contact (was a Baylor). Plus, he is built like a slim WR.

4 starting QBs run the read option....3 of 4 were in the postseason. He ignored that tidbit.

A related tidbit we're all ignoring is not every offense that uses the option is the same. If you took the offensive scheme we ran at the beginning of this year, where the option is just "what we do", and gave it to those other teams I imagine they would have similar results to us. Slightly better in cases of better OL quality but not world breaking.

There are ways to incorporate the option into an offense without being an "option team" that would make us unstoppable. We just need someone to install them while not selling their entire soul to it. I think at the end of the day a "pro-style" offense is the better thing to be running with just enough of the option to keep defenses honest. We don't need to kill everyone with it - the threat of it alone if we run it just enough will make the entire offense more explosive without exposing our QB to more hits than we have to.

Guest BlueBoy

4 starting QBs run the read option....3 of 4 were in the postseason. He ignored that tidbit.

That's a very high percentage in a league of 32 teams. Wow!

Am I missing something? Sounds like someone's trying to stop a trend or plain stupidity. Is this the good ol boy thing 'if you're gonna play QB in our league you gonna have to do it our way' thing? Quite fishy to me. We're talking about Cam FUGGING Newton here. Why would somebody try to waste his talent?

read option is just another running play. it should be used the same way as any other. a bit of misdirection will go a long way. also making sure your QB isn't keeping the ball most the time, which cam was bad about. reduce the number of times he keeps it, make defenses think you're going to run it when you don't, and get the OL to block better and the read option becomes more successful. have it as just one element of the base instead of THE base and the whole offense gets better.

That sounds like sabotaging to me. Could it be that there are some people who doesn't want dual threat QBs from taking over the league so they'll sabotage even their own team?

What?

Cam also broke his leg behind that OL against the Saints 'pocket passing'.

What?

Am I missing something? Sounds like someone's trying to stop a trend or plain stupidity. Is this the good ol boy thing 'if you're gonna play QB in our league you gonna have to do it our way' thing? Quite fishy to me. We're talking about Cam FUGGING Newton here. Why would somebody try to waste his talent?

did he say that he wanted it to stop or keep cam from running? nope.

sounds like he's just an advocate of a more balanced offense and he wants his QB around longer. the offense with cam can be just as or more effective by not limiting it to just one small group of running plays.

I'm still on the fence about whether this is a troll or not...but...

Noone is advocating wasting Cam's talent. But it's silly to believe that if he's not running the option as the primary running play he's being wasted. Cam has tremendous potential (and existing talent) as a passer - he is not The Golden Calf of Bristol. The threat of him taking off and running can be just as effective as the act as long as it's done sparingly. You then have the added benefit of Cam not being exposed to as much punishment.

Archived