• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jerry Richardson interview on the stadium renovation.

Panthersfan704

Funny trying to bash me. But you talking about get a clue. So the Panthers have sold out the past 10+ years (actually it is 11) , So that tells you they have been making money every single year. Why dont they spend that money on the upgrades instead of asking for money from the city and state? Plus with the Bowl game and Acc Championship game.

So since Richardson is asking for handouts from the State and City. He has opened the organizition up to those questions the reporter is asking. If he doesnt want to answer dont ask for handouts.

But no he can be his smug self and people will ignore it because they like the Panthers. Fine thats your choice and its my choice to bash him.

Your last line is amazingly baffling. Well run on sentence but this part "the only sure product in America". Surely you dont think that football is the only sure fire product it has going for it? If it is this country is really screwed!

BTW I dispise almost everything the tea party is about please dont try to lump me in with them. Now go give JR your taxes so he can get richer.

Class warfare perpetuated by the current administration.

By the way, the Panthers said the city will get to use BofA rent free for 5 events a year which is around an $80million value (if I recall the number correctly, if not please correct me).

The reporter has the right to ask the question and JR has the right to not answer.

The bottom line is that our elected officials, who represent "the people" decide whether or not JR gets the money he's asking for - so if you want to go after someone, go after the elected officials since the decision is ultimately in their hands.

Plenty of large, successful business receive government subsidies in one form or another - not because they need it but because it's a question of enlightened self interest for those governments. An NFL franchise is an excellent investment for the people of Charlotte and NC as a whole, on many levels.

It's clear that JR is not as quick on his feet when presented with questions like this as he once was and that's understandable given his age and medical condition. It's part of why Danny Morrison was brought in to be the face of ownership. I'm glad JR declined to answer @ that moment rather then giving some off-the-hip response.

People should be in an uproar that only the City of Charlotte is the one taking on that small bill. It's the CAROLINA panthers not the Charlotte Panthers. The rest of the Carolinas should help out.

I think SC should kick in.

People should be in an uproar that only the City of Charlotte is the one taking on that small bill. It's the CAROLINA panthers not the Charlotte Panthers. The rest of the Carolinas should help out.

I am now the Carolina Kurbs. Please send me your money

I respect JR as an individual. All reports indicate he is a role model on a personal level. His public persona, on the other hand, could not be much worse. He needs to just let Morrison be the business face of the franchise and stay out of sight. He does himself much more harm than good at this point.

I met JR one time through a friend. Seemed a stand up guy to me. My friend was a waitress at a restaurant that he used to frequent. The last time she saw him there she told him that she was leaving soon to join the Marines and would be heading out to Parris Island in a couple weeks. I guess he tracked her down there and wrote to her every other week and even sent her a little money from time to time (not that she could do anything with it at the time, but he didn't know that). He received no media coverage for this and asked or nothing. He was just being a good guy.

Do I wish he would consistently put a better team on the field? Yes. Do I believe that he just doesn't care about the team and only cares about his profit? No. Just my opinion though.

Is he a good businessman that wants to make money and will take a government hand out if offered? Yes. You would all do the same thing.

JR has never threatened to move the team and from what I understand, the amount that he's asking for is significantly less than what other teams have asked. The Panthers bring revenue to the city that the city doesn't share with the rest of the Carolinas, so why should SC share the cost? Because they share the name Carolina and SC's citizens drive to Charlotte to watch the games and... oh yeah... spend money there? I live in AZ, but go to one game every year. If they don't come out west, I fly home to watch. This year it was the Raiders game. I spent quite a bit that week.

I hadn't heard that the deal included rent free events for 5 years. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

I hadn't heard that the deal included rent free events for 5 years. Sounds like a decent deal to me.

It was actually reported that it was 5 rent free events per year for the duration of the deal. I haven't seen the details but that's a pretty big concession by the Panthers.

Archived