• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Film Review

CanadianCat

I rewatched a handful of the panthers games yesterday and a few things stood out to me (your average fan..)

The good

• We actually have a good offence. Between our WR’s, RB’s, FB and TE we have a lot of talent there. With the additions we made in the offseason to bring competition to the #2 and #3 WR spot I think that we will be fine.
  • We really need to use Olsen more. He has potential to be THE top TE in the league if we just used him
  • We have very good depth at DE.

The bad

• Haruki Nakamura
  • Our oline is not very good.
  • Our secondary need shelp.
  • Cam cannot hold on to the ball so long
  • Wow could the run option look good and VERY bad at times.

The fix

• From the games I watched the biggest need is oline, cb and safety
  • Cam can help the oline by not holding on to the ball so long. That is an area we must address this draft.

Things to be excited about

• Our LB’s are awesome.
  • If we commit to a power running game we have the best 3 RB’s in the league and man are they fun to watch.
  • Cam is a star
  • Hardy, Alexander and CJ are beasts

It was a lot of fun rewatching the games last night – it gotten me so excited for the draft and for the season!

GO Panthers!

Thanks for sharing your insights. However, I have to wonder, "Is he holding onto the ball because he had not open WRs?"

Steve Smith as a 5-9, 34-year old former speedster is no legit #1. He is using tactics (fighting, mind games) and experience to succeed, but that (to me) signals the end of a great career. He would be great for another 2 years or so in the slot, but outside, he is not effective, especially since we have no other WR that scares defenses. They can double him and cover Lafell. Some will get mad and say "Steve Smith is great!", but I am saying that he is overachieving and could have been more dangerous with help.

We need another deep threat, a potential #1, more passes to the backs. However, if the #1 WR is not in the draft or free agency, you have to take pressure off Smith some way. Hixon? probably not. Lafell? Not a threat to most teams.

I think we add a WR in the second round or third (if we trade back). My guess? Ryan Swope. He can play the slot and could become a #1 in time. I think scouts like him more than the draft experts do.

You make some good points. I didnt watch the side line or end zone camera views but it looked to me like he locked on to Smith then defaulted to trying to make something happen with his feet.

Olsen 1 on 1 usually wins the battle but Cam just didnt look his way. Tolbert is also a good option and surprisingly can make plays in open field when given an opptounity.

I agree though we do need another WR and drafting a WR1 would be amazing but I think that we can win with what we have as weapons currently.

about that OL, one of the fatal flaws of this team for years has been the amount of time it takes for them to gel. they never start off as a cohesive unit. after 5-7 weeks they usually get their poo together which is why you see our run game usually take off about the half way point in the season and the team starting off poorly but finishing strong.

one reason for that is not having a stable OL from year to year but another is starting rookies or otherwise inexperienced/unproven players so often. it's kind of tearing ligaments in your knee...while the ligament heals, the muscles around that ligament have to work harder,but become over-stressed, weaker, and more prone to injury. the guys next to weaker spots have to compensate for the weakness beside them and not only does it make them look bad, it makes them less efficient and hurts the overall quality of the line.

last year in addition to a lack of experience at RT and a rookie at LG, we had our all-pro center go down which meant settling for inferior talent at center and even more inferior talent at RG to go with inexperience at RT and LG. they had to keep shifting things around all year.

3 things have to happen for the OL to improve next year.

1) get healthy and stay healthy

2) no more rookies starting...if you add someone to the line, let them be experienced

3) triple the amount of reps the starting OL gets in practice with and without the cam and the rest of the backfield before heading into the season.

a fourth that has to go along with that third item is decide who your starters are going to be well before training camp. in fact i would commit to them during rookie camp. if you're going to add someone, do it right after the draft. forget competition for the spot in training camp. pick your 5 guys and let them become one heading into TC. you shouldn't be trying out different guys and be deciding on a starting lineup in training camp for the OL. they should be using that time to gel so they hit the ground running week one.

i think the right side of the OL needs to be upgraded and gross's replacement must be found and groomed, but if we don't do that this year, those three or four things will dramatically improve not just the quality and efficiency of the OL, but cam and the RBs production as well and the our ability to start hot and keep winning.

To be fair, that was against the worst defense of all time.

that's easy to forget, esp. when talking about that last game of the season.

worst defense in the history of the game and a team with no head coach and we still manage to finish with the same record. pathetic. add to that getting swept by a college coach who was their teams 15th choice? come on.

Archived