• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Oladipo at #4?

My Power Rankings:

Nerlens Noel

Ben McLemore

Trey Burke

Anthony Bennett

Victor Olidipo

I think Burke is the only guys the Bobcats/Hornets won't entertain drafting due to having Kemba.

I'd rather take Anthony Bennett than Oladipo, but that is just personal preference and I wouldn't be disappointed either way.

Don't really want Noel or McLemore. They probably will be gone by #4 anyway. Burke very easily could be gone by #4 (I would draft him #1 overall if I were the Magic GM) and the bobcats better hope he's gone by then. You gotta take Burke if he's there, which will ultimately mean bye bye to Kemba. 

Bennett/Oladipo 

I'm sorry I like Victor but what makes him and Noel the players in this draft with the most upside?

Len is a legit 7'1 which not many teams have in this league and has more skill sets then Noel. And Mclemore is taller then Victor and he can play defense as well.

Not to mention Bennet and Rudy Gobert are also very young and has some large upside. I don't think Victor and Noel have more upside then a lot of these players. If anything it could be even

Oladipo can do everything well, has a high basketball/real life IQ, works hard on both ends of the court, extremely athletic, and IMHO the most well rounded prospect in the draft. He's going to be a very good basketball player and will be able to contribute immediately with things other than points. I know we need scoring/size but we need a lot of other things, too. 

I'm not going to argue with you about Noel because I'm not a huge fan of him and he won't be there at #4.

McLemore has the size/skill set to play in the NBA but I question his work ethic and he didn't show up for some big games last year. We need high motor guys who bring it every game. 

Alex Len sucks. He looked good against the scrub Plumlee and Duke but then didn't do sh1t against UNC in 3 games you'd think he would dominate without UNC having any sort of true frontcourt last year. 

Bennett would be a great pick and he is going to be a solid NBA player. He fits a lot of the Bobcats needs. I would pick him or Oladipo. 

How many Rudy Gobert games did you watch last year? 

Have to take Burke if he's there? Come on he's not that much of a can't miss prospect where we have to trade Kemba and start over at the PG position. Burke has a few limitations and not worth being set back another year.

this is my opinion. I watch a lot of college hoops and IMHO Burke is probably the only can't miss prospect than Oladipo. Bennett is going to be a good forward in the NBA but he's also going to need some time to develop and good guard play to be an impact player. 

Burke can do everything on the court, can carry a team, and wants the ball when it matters most. 

I agree w/ you though about setting the team back another year because if they draft him they are going to have move Kemba and drafting Burke wouldn't fill a true hole we have on our roster. It's one of those slippery situations that I hope he's there when we pick but I also hope he isn't because I like Kemba. 

Just caught this on twitter:

Chad Ford: CLT could swap 4pick for Cousins. I think SAC would want two 1stRndrs minimum. Too high a price? (INSIDER) http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/9321266/2013-nba-draft-nerlens-noel-remains-front-runner-top-pick-other-draft-rumors 

Cousins would fill a huge hole in our lineup for the next 10 years here. However, we would not have a DC in this draft and let's be honest here about Cousins, he doesn't appear to be a stand up citizen. He's a guy that would need a solid, mature locker room which is something we don't have. 

Too risky of a move for us, IMHO. 

In curious to what the consensus is from people like myself who watch ACC hoops religiously on Len.

Also - to the people who want Len, do y'all watch ACC ball?

Yeah I watch plenty of college ball and a few Maryland games specifically this year just to watch Len.  He is not a spectacular player or the type who makes flashy plays, and was never a go to option on offense (partly because Maryland's offense didnt prioritize getting him the ball, partly because he didnt post up and demand it).

But when you actually watch what he is actually doing out on the court, he is very solid fundamentally.  He moves without the ball on offense, sets good picks, boxes out every time, and provides decent spacing with his improving midrange jumper.  When he actually gets the ball in the paint he can score with both hands, so even though his post game was rarely used at Maryland I think it can improve in the NBA

Defensively, he wont put up gaudy block numbers but he has improved a lot since his freshman year.  He doesnt bite on pump fakes and uses his size and length to challenge shots without fouling (think Marc Gasol defense and not Serge Ibaka).  He is surprisingly quick on the perimeter for his size as well, and should be a decent pick and roll defender at the next level. 

The fact of the matter is that centers with legit size and fundamentals are incredibly valuable in the NBA because there just arent many of them.  The reasons people are down on Len are the same reasons people were down on Roy Hibbert when he came out of GT- people wondered why he didnt dominate in college where there are few true centers to match up with him. 

A big reason Hibbert and Len didnt dominate in college is because thats just not what the college game is about.  Unless you play for a team with really good spacing and 3 point shooters, there is just not much room in the paint in most college games and teams will collapse on the big guy when he gets the ball.  I cant even remember the last true center to dominate in college ball

Len has potential and showed flashes...but I want no part of him.  Too soft and no nasty streak IMO.  If I'm drafting a project, I at least want to see effort and demanding the ball...not shying away while his teammates bomb 3's.

Why do you think Len is soft?  I never saw him dominated by another big guy.  I remember Plumlee had a couple good games against UM, but considering they beat Duke twice I dont know how big a deal that was

Passive on offense I could see, but I've never seen him look soft on D

Why do you think Len is soft?  I never saw him dominated by another big guy.  I remember Plumlee had a couple good games against UM, but considering they beat Duke twice I dont know how big a deal that was

Passive on offense I could see, but I've never seen him look soft on D

Should've said that more clearly, meant on offense mainly.  And most of that comes from him not demanding the ball or being timid in the poo offense Maryland ran. 

Little snippet from a scouting report that I agree with...

"Len often appears calm and collected on the court, perhaps to a fault, as his toughness and passion for the game are often among the main questions raised about him. His passivity was well-publicized during his freshman season, when he struggled to adapt to a new way of life in the United States. By his sophomore season, Len had mastered English and appeared far more comfortable with his teammates and reporters in the locker room. His on-court demeanor didn't change much, but he frequently flashed some fire, pumping his fists and shouting into the crowd on occasions when he or one of his teammates made a big play. As for his toughness, Len doesn't really seek out contact on either end of the floor, but he doesn't back down from it either. He also rarely looks to the officials for help on the offensive end, where's he undoubtedly a finesse player, more interested in using his quickness and length to score rather than banging down low."

The part I highlighted very well may have been the main reason, and he did improve this last season. I just don't get that excited about him as a prospect.  His demeanor almost reminds me of Darko Milicic or something. Too many foreign busts for every Gasol or Dirk out there to use another high draft pick on a project when Biz is already on the roster.  Biz and Len on the court at the same time could be great in a few years...but the percentages lean more towards it being a train wreck. 

Archived