• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All you IT peeplez types get in here and help with my new laptop.

Darth Biscuit

Some monitors/screens only look right at ONE resolution.  They'll have an optimal resolution and it'll look wrong on all the others.  You have to get used to one or the other.  Annoying but that's how it goes now with a lot of widescreens.

I'll try some more suggestions Monday, its at the office...

Btw its a Dell Precision M6600 with an Nvidia Quadro 4000m.

I'm hoping to use it with that Acer monitor to do some 3D stuff, but I think its going to be tricky.

The laptop screen is the one being a bitch. I could've ordered it with a much better screen, but the one I needed was like an extra grand and wasn't worth it... also the Dell sales guys are absolutely clueless in regards to this tech.

I'll try some more suggestions Monday, its at the office...

Btw its a Dell Precision M6600 with an Nvidia Quadro 4000m.

I'm hoping to use it with that Acer monitor to do some 3D stuff, but I think its going to be tricky.

The laptop screen is the one being a bitch. I could've ordered it with a much better screen, but the one I needed was like an extra grand and wasn't worth it... also the Dell sales guys are absolutely clueless in regards to this tech.

Just send me a PM on Monday when your at the office, I'm a night owl type of person so I probably wont be on till like noonish though.  I won't mind helping though, it's what my degree is in. 

Also Dell not having any idea whats going on doesn't surprise me. Last time I had to call tech support because a part was messing up on my laptop, I spent an hour explaining to the guy that I had already tried everything he was going to suggest and I needed a repair tech to come out with the part. 

I've tried everything suggested and it's still fuzzy at 1440.  It is an Nvidia Qudaro 4000m and I've played with all the Nvidia control panel settings too... :(

Guess I'll just have to sit closer as was suggested...  that will get old.

Yeah you always want to run your lappy at it's native resolution as that's what it is optimized for. Gonna most likely look like shyte otherwise.

On a desktop holding down the control button and scrolling the mouse wheel up or down changes text size.

Try that on your lappy.

• 1 month later...

OK, I kind of dropped this for a while since I was dealing with Dell...   turns out that first system that they sent me was just a complete POS.

They agreed to send me a new system so I RMA'd them the original one they sent me... turns out they ended up sending me a M6700 where I had purchased an M6600.

So I ended up getting a better system out of the deal.   The new, new one is excellent... no issues and it's running like a champ.

n5lrlt.jpg

Get a 3rd monitor, muahha.

Probably could, but apparently Dell didn't really make allowance for that with this configuration.  The K5000M video card supports 4, but the way the connectors are arranged on the system it won't actually work.

I did some research on this because to get the two monitors to work, I had to buy a DVI to DisplayPort adapter.

Plus I don't have room on my desk...

Archived