• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Godfrey improving at FS?

La Pantera

Lester played FS at Alabama, Mark Barron was the SS. In my post Lester is behind Godfrey.

Lester doesn't have the skill set to play FS. He's got stiff hips, he's slow and he struggles in coverage. He's an in the box saftey. Haven't heard anything about him taking FS reps in practice...

DJ Campbell should start beside him at SS... Dude was the most impressive DB in the later part of the season.

Im saying this because i havent seen any panther game film from mitchell or lester [for obvious reasons].

I thought so too-but he started several games down the stretch (4) and had 11 tackles during that time with one pass defended.  My impression of a strong safety is about twice that.   I like his size and smarts, but he needs to make more plays--and he might. 4 games for a seventh round special teamer is not a big window.

At SS, it seems we have Mitchell, a hitter with speed, Lester, a questionable tackler, and Campbell. It is an interesting battle.  I am guessing that the player who can cover a TE the best gets the job.

About Godfrey, the most important thing he provides is leadership.  He needs to step up, and I think he will.

Lester doesn't have the skill set to play FS. He's got stiff hips, he's slow and he struggles in coverage. He's an in the box saftey. Haven't heard anything about him taking FS reps in practice...

If he shows he can tackle, I would consider moving him to OLB. 

Maybe this is preseason optimism, but I am not too worried about the secondary.  I worry about RG and WR.  Here is why I think the dbs are going to be fine:

Godfrey is better at FS and he will become more of a QB back there-a veteran leader who can align folks.  That is what Rivera was saying.

Mitchell reminds me of Chris Harris, and we got a gem in Lester.  If neither is better than Campbell, we know what he can do and he should improve.  I would not be too surprised to see a rotation at SS, depending on the Offensive personnel and the down and distance.

At CB, we should be excited about the experience our youth got last year.  I was worried about Norman's confidence, but it seems fine and he is doing well.  Thomas showed that he can be a solid CB, and we are more than set at nickel, probably the hardest DB position to play well.  

Many of our DBs are ball hawks, and they prosper when the QB has pressure to throw.  They can jump routes, etc.  We have all of the makings of a defense that will force the offense into mistakes.  While these DBs are not going to shut down anyone, they should be opportunists, taking advantage of a front seven that will limit the run game and give the QB less time to throw.

http://nflmocks.com/2011/11/12/2012-scouting-report-robert-lester-fs-alabama/

Measurables

6”2

210 pounds

(combine numbers will be posted here after combine happens)

Stats

2011 Season:

Games: 9

Tackles: 24

TFL: 0

Int: 2

Sacks: 0

Career:

Games: 30

Tackles: 84

TFL: 1.5

Int: 10

Sacks: 0

Pros:

Very intelligent cerebral player

Great center field ability

Always around the ball in the air

Created numerous turnovers

Good return ability after interception

Solid pass coverage when placed on slot WR

Great coaching

scheme versatility, covers well in zone coverage or man

Good athlete

Cons:

Decent tackler but far from great

Does not attack the line of scrimmage on run plays

Sometimes tries too hard to get interception, leaving him vulnerable over the top

Does not jam wide receivers when covering slot WR

Has good but not great speed

This scouting report pretty much says the exact opposite of what you just posted. I'm a stick with him at FS. 

http://nflmocks.com/2011/11/12/2012-scouting-report-robert-lester-fs-alabama/

This scouting report pretty much says the exact opposite of what you just posted. I'm a stick with him at FS.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/robert-lester?id=2539196

Strengths

NFL-caliber size and length. Possesses strong hands, height and vertical to high-point passes in jump-ball situations. Can also drop to the ground quickly to get his hands underneath low throws. Sticks his nose into the run game, drops his hips to stop the momentum of churning running backs up the middle. Finds creases to explode through as a blitzer. Uses his long, strong arms to trip up and wrap up ballcarriers coming into his area or wrestle them down from behind. Good hustle in coverage, will track down receivers over the middle.

Weaknesses

Not a quick-twitch athlete. High and stiff in his backpedal. Does not have elite hip flexibility to break down quickly as a tackler or turn and run with receivers downfield. Takes time to get to the sideline at times in cover-two and will take incorrect angles to the ball as a tackler and in coverage. Won’t catch faster receivers in trail coverage over the middle. Often doesn't take the proper angle to the ball in the run and pass game. Inconsistent.

Well this one says different. And there's a reason he's competing for the Strong Saftey spot, here. That's what he is...

Archived