• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"They're all thugs"

Awesomeness!!

Yay please shut up

This is perfect. 

NA has made some bad posts before. This is not one of them...

I didn't say anything about the quality of the thread, I'm just interested to see how this goes over.

Don't we do the same thing to CEO's of large corporations that give themselves huge bonuses?

WE all hate them and make generalizations that all CEO's are the same and are a bunch of old rich guys that only care about their wallets.

What about politicians?  Think we do the same thing with them as well.  Lawyers?  Yup.  Homosexuals?  Probably on a daily basis.

The problem isn't that people make generalizations, the problem is that people only seem to be offended about certain generalizations.  

I agree that its not fair to put all the players in the same boat, but don't try to make it seem like an unfair racial issue.  The public makes idiotic and offensive generalizations about a VARIETY of people and groups.  My point is that we shouldn't act surprised when people make them about athletes who do stupid things.

it would take an incredibly ignorant person to truly believe all NFL players are thugs. i think when most people say it, especially on here, they're saying it sarcastically or in hyperbole.

could be wrong tho

Guest HelloWorld

The NBA was fuging HUGE in the 1980's.

Then, as the mid-1990's approached, the NBA became all about the thug lifestyle with sooooo many of the players and the NBA subsequently lost *huge* money on TV contracts and advertising.

Watch the same thing happen to the NFL if they remain on this road.

I completely disagree. Boxing was big too, I don't believe thuggism had anything to do with its lost of popularity. People sometimes just lose interest, especially after losing a player like Michael Jordan. Jordan was the NBA. People use to salivate watching that guy play. Because the NBA is a star driven league when MJ retired so many fans didn't stay tune. That's why the NBA is trying to catapult Lebron to that level but he is just not Jordan. And when Iverson was playing people did tune in. I used to salivate watching Iverson play like I did MJ. But right now no one really capture my imagination. I use to tune in just to watch A.I. rock someone with that crossover. But now they call travel on anything so kids are not creative with the ball anymore. Just straight up athleticism and over-coaching. The game is just not the same anymore.

Back then we use to wonder if Earl Manigault really grab a dollar off the top of the backboard. We even thought of the idea that there exist some super athletic human who can do incredible stuff with no evidence just word of mouth. We were curious. Now, we think if you can do what you claim just put it on youtube so all can see and go by our business. We're not curious anymore because we're so much better informed.

Baseball use to be big too, but now nobody really care. I doubt anyone can claim thuggism on this one. It's just human going through time. Things sometimes just get old.

The rate is actually only about 5% higher than the general population. Much lower than average for males in their 20's. Of course, few have as much incentive to behave as these guys, but for the most part they are just average people who happen to be good at sports. 

It's hard to get into numbers because there are many instances where an NFL player can sweep their troubles under the rug or avoid prosecution. Steve working at McDonald's will get arrested for punching a coworker. Steve working at Bank of America stadium pays a fine and misses a couple checks.

Guest HelloWorld

Same poo happens in every sport in every country but when it happens in America it's thuggism, race, racism, white powa, black powa, asians get good grades, spanish are great at salsa, etc. It's just comical. Anybody ever thought Hernendez represented himself and solely himself? And, no, if you're black or white you don't get extra racial point in your quest for supremacy. So, keep flipping that burger to feed your 3 kids. For crying out loud!

It's hard to get into numbers because there are many instances where an NFL player can sweep their troubles under the rug or avoid prosecution. Steve working at McDonald's will get arrested for punching a coworker. Steve working at Bank of America stadium pays a fine and misses a couple checks.

It's very easy to get into the numbers actually.

And your premise has a glaring flaw. CAN YOU FIND IT

Archived