• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

bucky brooks talks panthers

rayzor

Does Brady have better receivers than Newton?  No.  I wonder how he seems to make everyone around him better but Cam needs better players to make him look better. Doesn't Brees seem to take guys you never heard of as receivers and suddenly they are great guys only to disappear when they go elsewhere.   Don't get me wrong, Cam is going to be a great quarterback but the whole notion he doesn't have any weapons or that we built the team on the defensive side while ignoring the offense is ignorant. Look at our trades and free agent pickups the past couple of year, if not to account  for injuries, the majority have been on the offensive end.

He threw an interception in each of the last two games in 2012 which were both wins..

Catman's statement was true early in the year but as you note, Cam wasn't that great the last 2 games. His passer ratings in the last 2 games were 75 and 61.   The whole theory that he has to play perfect for us to win assumes that he has  to do it all..  If we refuse to run the ball and put everything on him that may be true but when we use the rushing game and have a great defensive effort it  takes the pressure off him.

Catman's statement was true early in the year but as you note, Cam wasn't that great the last 2 games. His passer ratings in the last 2 games were 75 and 61. The whole theory that he has to play perfect for us to win assumes that he has to do it all.. If we refuse to run the ball and put everything on him that may be true but when we use the rushing game and have a great defensive effort it takes the pressure off him.

Exactly.

When the defense was terrible and Chud refused to leverage the running game, everything was put on Cam's shoulders and he needed to play near perfect football for us to win.

With the additions on defense and the re-focus on the running game, it allows Cam to manage the game and make the big plays when they are there.

If the coaches don't brain fart, this offense and team has the weapons to be very good.

Trenches are the key.

Just as a great DLine makes your secondary better, a great OLine makes your receiver corps better.

Just as P55 said, Brady has won for 10 years with the biggest collection of misfit toys that change every year because he genrerally has time to pick one out and make plays.

Trenches are the key.

Just as a great DLine makes your secondary better, a great OLine makes your receiver corps better.

Just as P55 said, Brady has won for 10 years with the biggest collection of misfit toys that change every year because he genrerally has time to pick one out and make plays.

You got it stirs.

the only real concern I have this season is on the right side of the line.  If the OL can play well, this offense has the weapons to be down right nasty.

Does Brady have better receivers than Newton?  No.  I wonder how he seems to make everyone around him better but Cam needs better players to make him look better. Doesn't Brees seem to take guys you never heard of as receivers and suddenly they are great guys only to disappear when they go elsewhere.   Don't get me wrong, Cam is going to be a great quarterback but the whole notion he doesn't have any weapons or that we built the team on the defensive side while ignoring the offense is ignorant. Look at our trades and free agent pickups the past couple of year, if not to account  for injuries, the majority have been on the offensive end.

Sorry for the double post guys. I guess it's just one of those times. 

Good statements. 

However, Cam needs time (i.e., a good line, OC, and play calling). 

Brady is generally awful, when he has no time to throw, with defenders in his face. However (as we all know), he's brilliant, when he has time, or gets rid of the ball quickly, on a planned timing route or dump off. 

I agree. The Panthers receivers are a better than we think. But there's also not that great as well (unless people like Williams, Ginn, etc., step up). They're not going to be successful if several things don't click well. They're not AUTOMATIC good. No! Nonetheless, a great QB, like Cam during his rookie season, can make the entire offense look good, which we hope is the case in 2013. But he needs help. 

We have to remember: Even after their slow start, the Panthers had excellent advanced statistics on offense in 2012. They just didn't get the ball enough. That was their problem. So I applaud the offense, for trying to score quicker (or at least adding it to the offense) for 2013. 

Let's hope the defense, does their part as well. 

I feel Gettis will make the team the odd men out are Adams and Pilares. Gettis has elite speed and size and can catch the other 2 not so much.

Based on everything that we are seeing and hearing at camp, I think your feeling is going to prove to be wrong.

Gettis was already in the dog house after last season....now he is NOT showing much of anything in camp, while Adams and Pilares are having good camps.

Good statements. 

However, Cam needs time (i.e., a good line, OC, and play calling). 

Brady is generally awful, when he has no time to throw, with defenders in his face. However (as we all know), he's brilliant, when he has time, or gets rid of the ball quickly, on a planned timing route or dump off. 

I agree. The Panthers receivers are a better than we think. But there's also not that great as well (unless people like Williams, Ginn, etc., step up). They're not going to be successful if several things don't click well. They're not AUTOMATIC good. No! Nonetheless, a great QB, like Cam during his rookie season, can make the entire offense look good, which we hope is the case in 2013. But he needs help. 

We have to remember: Even after their slow start, the Panthers had excellent advanced statistics on offense in 2012. They just didn't get the ball enough. That was their problem. So I applaud the offense, for trying to score quicker (or at least adding it to the offense) for 2013. 

Let's hope the defense, does their part as well. 

Yes Cam needs time to throw but Cam also needs to learn when to hold the ball and when to check down and take what he can instead of going for the big play.  Last year Cam started off holding the ball and trying to hit home runs.  Toward the end he was doing a lot more checkdowns and quick throws which is what you do when your offensive line is suspect, injured or inexperienced. Brady knows that and is the king of short passes and checkdowns the same as Brees.  Do you think there is any correlation between them doing that and the fact they are two of the best in the league.

Yes we need a system that plays to Newton's strengths but he also needs to do his part and understand what the defense is giving him and make quick reads and get the ball where it needs to be.  A great quarterback makes receivers look better than they are.

Yes Cam needs time to throw but Cam also needs to learn when to hold the ball and when to check down and take what he can instead of going for the big play.  Last year Cam started off holding the ball and trying to hit home runs.  Toward the end he was doing a lot more checkdowns and quick throws which is what you do when your offensive line is suspect, injured or inexperienced. Brady knows that and is the king of short passes and checkdowns the same as Brees.  Do you think there is any correlation between them doing that and the fact they are two of the best in the league.

Yes we need a system that plays to Newton's strengths but he also needs to do his part and understand what the defense is giving him and make quick reads and get the ball where it needs to be.  A great quarterback makes receivers look better than they are.

What you said was all true as well. You tell no lies. 

However, I think some of the first half problems of Cam (and what you describe), had to do with Chud, not allowing Cam to audible or change up the play, which would have led to more screens, quick passes, and dump offs, as you're saying. 

Of course, Cam could have used his check downs, when the deep pass wasn't available (as you stated), and as he did during the second half of the season. 

Good stuff. 

I'd be interested to see LaFell's numbers vs. the avg. numbers for #2 wideouts across the league. I'd like to do the same for Olsen's #'s against TE1 averages across the league.

It seems like people think Isaac Bruce/Torry Holt, Larry Fitz/Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith/Muhsin Muhammed receiver combinations are commonplace when that's simply not true. I could be wrong, but am too lazy to look up the numbers that would either strengthen or crumble my argument.

I think you're right honestly, and this not enough weapons is merely an excuse.  Of course we could be better on the outside.  What was one of the first offseason moves we did after drafting Cam?  Getting Olsen.  Lafell's numbers havent been great but he didnt get a ton of passes to him and he usually catches everything.  Cam usually targets Smith or Olsen and rightfully so.  We do have two very good rb's and we saw a lot more screens in the second half of the season last year and did very well with them.  I think it is more about strategy and execution, rather than lack of weapons that has held this team back.  Oh by the way, with "minimal" or "no weapons," this team still finished #5 offense in 11 and top 15 last year.

Archived