• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm completely redesigning the Panthers mobile schedule again. Here's a preview

dbeat

Hah. I've seen the fragmentation charts before but I've never actually talked to someone still on Froyo.

It's tough to get the carriers to cooperate with updating.

Is that how Android works (forgive me, I know barely anything about Android's update mechanics - I've had an iPhone since the OG in '07 haha)? You have to wait for the carrier to push the update to your phone? That sounds kind of dumb...

Is that how Android works (forgive me, I know barely anything about Android's update mechanics - I've had an iPhone since the OG in '07 haha)? You have to wait for the carrier to push the update to your phone? That sounds kind of dumb...

Google has a database that they update with their basic Android software but it comes down to the individual carrier and manufacturer. Not every manufacturer runs the same skinned version of Android. Samsung has TouchWiz, HTC has Sense, etc. They all need tweaking to make them "unique" in different ways. [Make the UI ugly as fug basically] Then on top of that Verizon (and every other carrier) has to throw their bloatware onto the software too. Verizon is notoriously bad for this. Then, finally, if you're lucky the update gets pushed to your device.

The best way to go is Nexus or Google Play Edition phones, with updates direct from Google with no fuging around. Even that's no guarantee on some carriers like Verizon though. (They cockclocked updates on their LTE Galaxy Nexus so hard)

Lastly, after rooting [jailbreaking] you can install your own custom software. That's actually the best way to go for timely updates as with good developer support you usually have a new version you can put on your phone yourself pretty soon after it comes out. I don't rely on manufacturers or carriers although I'm on T-Mobile and they're leagues ahead of Verizon in that regard.

Hah. I've seen the fragmentation charts before but I've never actually talked to someone still on Froyo.

It's tough to get the carriers to cooperate with updating.

I have yet to find a Superuser file that actually works on my Huawei Prism with Gingerbread 2.3.6.   It appears that all the files were created for Eclair, backwards.  The only thing that works is the recovery file. I gave up. Moreover, I like my T-mo stock ROM. The only reason I wanted to root the phone is to get rid of bloatware and force files to the SD card.  

Yeah, there are some of us who only believe in updating when absolutely necessary, especially in today's economy.  I'm admittedly cheap, value conscious, and probably subconsciously opposed to being brainwashed by the next big thing or shiniest new toy, when my old one adequately fills my needs.

I have yet to find a Superuser file that actually works on my Huawei Prism with Gingerbread 2.3.6.   It appears that all the files were created for Eclair, backwards.  The only thing that works is the recovery file. I gave up. Moreover, I like my T-mo stock ROM. The only reason I wanted to root the phone is to get rid of bloatware and force files to the SD card.  

Yeah, there are some of us who only believe in updating when absolutely necessary, especially in today's economy.  I'm admittedly cheap, value conscious, and probably subconsciously opposed to being brainwashed by the next big thing or shiniest new toy, when my old one adequately fills my needs.

Totally fair.

I'm a sucker for shiny new things.

Thanks for the responses, and to those that said they'd help out. By the way you don't have to be a developer to test these, it's just an image that you'll be setting as your wallpaper/lock screen then sending me a screen grab. I just need to see how it fits.

I'll send PMs to those that want to test it out.

It looks done... post it so I can have it.

please.

I will, I'll post it pretty soon. Just want to make sure it'll work with Android too and I need to make some final tweaks and features, like the "off bye" indicator.

Guest Spider Monkey

Thanks for the responses, and to those that said they'd help out. By the way you don't have to be a developer to test these, it's just an image that you'll be setting as your wallpaper/lock screen then sending me a screen grab. I just need to see how it fits.

I'll send PMs to those that want to test it out.

PM me a copy. I have Android 2.3 & 4.0 between my work/personal phones.

Guest Spider Monkey

What type of phone?

Droid X2, Casio Commando, & Galaxy S3.

Will have a Galaxy Note III on Sept 4th.

Archived