• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank You Hurney

chknwing

Not reading this whole thread so it may have been already said, but not many GMs would have had the balls to take Cam #1 in that draft.

As a matter of fact I would bet a dime against a nickel that Gettleman would have drafted the big boy from Bama.

If Hurney's parting gifts were Cam and Kuechly he does deserve some thanks BC he locked down perhaps the two most important positions in football with pro bowlers.

Hopefully you're being facetious...

Double trouble was a great draft decision. There wasn't a better 1-2 punch in the league for awhile there. Giving them new contracts was a great idea as well, I just wish they were for about 50% less....

Also, barner cannot and will never replace Tolbert. Great, great signing.

Also, isn't it a little soon to Annoint a rookie running back as someone who can replace double trouble? He looks promising, but had played literally one preseason game so far. I want him to succeed, but I won't count my chickens before they hatch.

It worked for one season...ever since then one of them has been injured/IRed for a significant portion of every season besides 2011, they've been vulturing the salary cap (thanks to Marty), the team's just pulling themselves out of this downswing they've been in for years despite having them on the roster, etc

I think the jury has spoken that this has largely been a failed endeavor.

Yeah, talks among fans and media outlets who are wrong every year.

There was no chance in hell we were ever going to take Miller, Green, and especially not Gabbert (who wasn't even the 2nd QB taken - he was SUCH an overrated prospect).

Was anything official until a week or so before the draft?  Nope.  But it was clear Newton was the guy.  Maybe it is just me though who saw that and maybe I'm wrong.  But I never bought into us drafting anyone but Cam or possibly Dareus.

Like I said though, maybe I am just seeing it how I saw it myself.  But taking anyone other than Newton there would have been illogical at the time (taking any WR #1 overall is dumb in my opinion unless you are somehow set everywhere else, which isn't the case for teams picking first).

I'm not discounting any of that, I'm simply saying that Cam wasn't the consensus, clear cut #1 pick. WITHOUT hindsight, no one had ANY idea what we were getting with Newton after the draft. Not even close, and if you say you did then you're lying. We didn't know if he was JaMarcus Russell 2.0 or the next big thing in football. Luckily, we got the second one and I've been obsessed with the guy since the day we drafted him. But, once again no hindsight, Miller and Dareus were both lower risk picks at the time, and we could have taken either of them and to this day would've had an excuse if Cam was balling out in Denver or Buffalo or wherever. Hurney does deserve props for taking the risk to give this franchise its best player. He doesn't deserve much more, but he does deserve props for giving the Panthers their savior (strong words, but it's damn true).

It worked for one season...ever since then one of them has been injured/IRed for a significant portion of every season besides 2011, they've been vulturing the salary cap (thanks to Marty), the team's just pulling themselves out of this downswing they've been in for years despite having them on the roster, etc

I think the jury has spoken that this has largely been a failed endeavor.

I hear he drinks quite a bit which tells me JR may or may not have allowed him to make "frash" decisions..   doubt me?  look at that face...  lol

Archived