• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

49ers blog previews Panthers defense

countryboi

Clearly not understanding the concept of 3-4 vs 4-3.

Just wanted to say, you've been a hoot to have around the last 2 weeks. Hope, for the most part, you have a good rest of the year. If your coach can get his head out of his azz, you might have very good year.

That said. You are not quite there right now. Big Brother is coming to town, and we are taking a victory home with us when we leave. We'll both be 6-3, and we would own the tie-breaker.

Lol why are people thinking our defenses are so different because we're base 4-3 and they are 3-4? Most defenses (including ours) statistically ran nickel packages more than any other formation last year so classifying yourself as either 3-4 or 4-3 is quickly becoming antiquated anyway.

It all comes down to preference on how you want to attack the 5 o-linemen. Our Coach loves getting the job done with 4 bigger guys. Some coaches like the flexibility LBs bring. Personally, I like 4 man lines, especially if you have one as versatile as ours.

You are correct sir. Offensive guys are all getting faster, even TEs, most LB cannot keep up. 5-6 DBs is the flavor of the day. On passing downs, we use 2Lb, and 4DL a lot. They would have 3Lb on the field. Not sure I like that situation.

That's great if they all collectively are on the field most of the time which they're not

Great point. I can see wanting to have LB type players on the field. But on passing downs, somebody gots to go.

Perhaps in some 3-4s, but I don't think that's the case for the Niners.

Aldon seldom drops in coverage and moves all over the line. It's usually only 2 or 3 of those guys back in coverage on passing downs.

On run downs I think its harder in a 3-4 because there are fewer D-Linemen to eat up blocks of offensive linemen...IE, those LBs more often have to take on blocks by guys who outweight them bu 60+ lbs. Ray Lewis HATED the 3-4 when Nolan was the DC in Baltimore.

In a 3-4, on a running play, the 1st LB in does not always make the play. His job is to blow the play up, so his mates can clean it up. Like a bigger CB. Or to outflank the slower OG, and set the edge. Like a smaller DE. In a perfect world, I can see the advantage having 4 athletic LB on the field at one time could be a good thing.

The big disadvantage is that in order to cover, you have to be fast. Unfortunately, you usually have to sacrifice size for speed. Hence, Willis being 6'1''. Smaller LB with good speed. For todays faster NFL. Once you start losing size, you are losing the defining difference of the position.

Our LBers are Big enough, and Fast enough, to play 3 downs. For our Defense, that is more than enough to make us pretty damm good.

Archived