• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tuck Rule.

Snake

Yeah, that's the part that really bothers me. Whether it was ruled a pass or not, a backwards pass is supposed to be a live ball.

When he whent to throw the ball he was facing forward. I guess thats how they judged it. IDK the play should have not been overturned IMO.

Yeah, that's the part that really bothers me. Whether it was ruled a pass or not, a backwards pass is supposed to be a live ball.

Yes, I hadn't thought about the backwards pass aspect of this play... it did come out backwards. Kurb said while we were watching it that if it's a pass then it should be intentional grounding... I'm with you guys, if it's not a fumble it's either intentional grounding or a backwards pass.

Obviously there is some part of the tuck rule that voids those other rules?

Yes, I hadn't thought about the backwards pass aspect of this play... it did come out backwards. Kurb said while we were watching it that if it's a pass then it should be intentional grounding... I'm with you guys, if it's not a fumble it's either intentional grounding or a backwards pass.

Obviously there is some part of the tuck rule that voids those other rules?

All hail the almighty tuck rule that saves QBs from any problem. :smilielol5:

But really it is a gay rule and I have no idea why its there.

so basically, all a QB has to do is spike the ball while getting sacked and its a tuck?

i know that's over-simplified, but that's how it seems to me.

:lol: at this...

It applies if the quarterback brings his arm forward in a passing motion, but then changes his mind and tries to keep hold of the football rather than making a pass. In this situation, if the quarterback loses the ball while stopping his passing motion or bringing the ball back to his body, it is still considered a forward pass (and thus an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground), even if the ball is moving backwards at the time the quarterback loses it. Mike Pereira, the NFL's director of officiating, notes that the design of the rule obviates the need to consider the quarterback's intent.

I guess the replay can tell if he "changed his mind" :lol:

IMO this is what is wrong with instant replay in the NFL. Instant replay is supposed to not be used in cases of judgement. I don't mind the "tuck rule" but just like forward progress or pass interference it is a rule that is enforced on judgement and should not be able to be reviewed. I'm not trying to say there is a conspiracy or anything but if replay can give the Broncos the ball on todays play why could it not give the ball to the Chargers in week two on that horrible call that gave the game to the Broncos? The NFL needs to look at these to calls and realize that they need to have it one way or the other.

IMO this is what is wrong with instant replay in the NFL. Instant replay is supposed to not be used in cases of judgement. I don't mind the "tuck rule" but just like forward progress or pass interference it is a rule that is enforced on judgement and should not be able to be reviewed. I'm not trying to say there is a conspiracy or anything but if replay can give the Broncos the ball on todays play why could it not give the ball to the Chargers in week two on that horrible call that gave the game to the Broncos? The NFL needs to look at these to calls and realize that they need to have it one way or the other.

Agree the first call was the right call and there was not proof to say other wise. It was wrong to change the call and it could have gone ether way.

The tuck rule didn't apply. It was never thrown forward. It was a backward pass so it was a live ball. There's no rule that says you have to be throwing it backwards to count as a backwards pass. The replay clearly showed it was never deflected by the Panther player. Terrible replay by the official.

Archived