• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ruff's 2014 Mock Offseason and Draft

Ruff

So, now that the season is done, I think it’s time we start looking forward to Free Agency and then, of course, to the Draft. This year’s Draft interests me even more than Drafts in previous years because a) we’re a relevant team again only missing a few pieces and B) this Draft is stocked with talent. From WR, to OL, to TE, to QB, to CB, etc, etc., this Draft is the first one in ages that you can look at from afar and see immediate impact players even into the 3rd and 4th rounds.

With that being said, let me breakdown where I believe our weakest positions are.

Most needed - OL/WR

Problem Areas - CB

Secondary Help Areas - TE/RB/QB

I’ll explain each choice when I (try to) fill those needs. So, without further ado, my first Draft and offseason mock of the season.

OFFSEASON/FREE AGENCY

Release/Do Not Re-sign/Fire

Mike Shula

Greg Hardy
Brandon LaFell

Ted Ginn

Derek Anderson

Richie Brockel

Charles Godfrey - (automatic 5.1mil in savings on the cap)

Domenik Hixon

Hire

Bill Lazor - I know that Rivera and Lazor have no real connections, but Lazor is the hottest name in the Offensive Coordinator realm right now. As of right now, he’s partially responsible for turning Nick Foles into what he became this season, a hyper accurate spread QB. I think he can work with Cam (and the future QBs) into fine tuning this offense to something that resembles a present day NFL offense, while still utilizing the pieces that we have.

Re-sign

Travelle Wharton - vet minimum

Jordan Gross - (If he doesn’t retire)

Mike Mitchell

Chris Scott

Ben Hartsock - vet minimum

Jeff Byers

Graham Gano (similar to Matt Prater’s contract)

Jordan Senn

Captain Munnerlyn - (1 yr deal, let’s see how he fits onto the team after this next season)

Colin Cole - vet minimum

Quintin Mikell - vet minimum

Drayton Florence - vet minimum

Sign

Michael Oher - That’s right, I said it. It’s going to cost, but I think it’s going to be worth it in the end. Oher had his best seasons as a tackle under Matsko’s tutelage, and he’s shown that he can handle both sides of the offensive line. Do I think he’ll demand more than he’s worth? Yes. (Thanks Hollywood) But, he can immediately come in and give us a Pro Bowl caliber starter that can dominate both phases of the run and pass game. I have a feeling that Oher will demand somewhere in the neighborhood of 11m a year. Something like 5yr/55-60mil would be about right. I see the situation being something similar to moving Gross to the right side to prolong his career and putting Oher on the blindside (get it?).

Riley Cooper - Another guy that I think will demand a tad more than he should bring because of this past season that he had. But, I think Lazor could convince him of what he’s planning on doing and bring him to Carolina for a quality #2 receiver that gives Cam a legitimate option down the field and also in the red zone. Riley would demand about the 5mil that we would save from releasing Godfrey. He’s also incredibly young. At 26, he still has a lot of time left on him, so we could lock him up for the future.

Geoff Schwartz - Bring the man home. After having an incredible year in Kansas City that has revitalized his career, bring Schwartz back home for a fair sum. If anything, this gives us an immediate upgrade to the RG position, paired beside of Gross. I don’t think he’ll be expensive, even after the amazing season he just had, and would be well worth the investment for the future (he’s still relatively young at 27 years old).

THE DRAFT

Welcome to the 2014 NFL Draft. Thank you for sticking with me thus far. Now, let me begin.

FIRST ROUND - 28th PICK

Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State - So, you probably expected to see Jordan Matthews here, didn’t you? I really, really like Jordan Matthews. I think he is going to end up with astronomical numbers… paired with the right QB. Matthews is a guy who needs accurate passes down the field, as well as in the flats, and that’s just not Cam.

Instead, I think a guy like Allen Robinson fits the mold better of what Cam needs. Robinson is a big guy, strong, physical, and has enough on him to get even bigger. He’s not going to blaze past you with speed. Instead, he’s going to find ways to get open in the middle of the field, or come back to the ball, and catch the ball at the point of attack. He will be Cam’s jump ball guy in the new offense, a target who will be extremely dangerous in the red zone. He’s going to end up running around a 4.5x 40yd, so he’s not a blazer (in this scenario/mock, he is going to be the complement to Riley Cooper) but he has strong hands and a strong body to block out defenders.

His biggest comparison in the NFL? Anquan Boldin. Think about that.

SECOND ROUND

James Hurst, OT, UNC - With the recent comments by Gross, saying that he doesn’t know what his future holds, it’s very possible that Gross doesn’t return next season. If he does, it will be on his last legs. In this mock, I have us picking up Oher to start on the offensive line, and Gross returning, but only for a season. That’s where Hurst comes in.

James Hurst is a future dominant OT, who had experienced an unfortunate injury in UNC’s bowl game. Breaking his leg is going to set him back some, but not a lot. There is no ligament damage to the knee/ankle/foot, so rebuilding that won’t be an issue. Just letting a broken leg heal will be the thing that matters most.

On the field, Hurst is a monster. He can dominate almost anyone on an island, including Clowney. He does have issues with his footwork, and sometimes he seems to take the wrong angle, which leaves the QB in a bad situation. But, thankfully, these are things that can be coached out of him. And learning behind Gross and Oher? He could become great.

THIRD ROUND

Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, NEBRASKA - SJ-B is a name I don’t see many people around here throwing around, but it makes too much sense. He’s a large, physical corner (6’1 / 220lbs) that jams the ever-living-poo out of receivers off the line. He’s large enough to handle even the most physically dominant receivers and TEs, and he would match up perfectly against a team like New Orleans.

He’s not incredibly fast, and he doesn’t do well in a zone cover type system. He is exactly what he sounds like. A jam-shove receiver who is going to dominate a receiver on an island for the entirety of the game. I think, on our team, he’s an immediate number 1 CB.

FOURTH ROUND

Michael Jansen, TE, Fresno State - Michael Jansen is an interesting prospect (and he is just that: a prospect). He didn’t get a chance to play much in the spread attack of Fresno State this past season, but he showed incredible promise in 2012. He’s physical, he controls the line of scrimmage, and he dominates special teams (has 4 blocked kicks in his career). His hands are massive (around a 10) and could easily jump up and snag balls in the red zone. Basically, he is a less-raw version of Brandon Williams, who is a tad slower and a much better blocker.

FIFTH ROUND

Josh Huff, WR, Oregon - Josh Huff is the replacement for Ted Ginn at a much lower price point. He’s fast, he’s vertical, and he would be the guy who immediately takes over at kick returns and punt returns. His hands are questionable at best (again, see: Ted Ginn) but he is so damn fast. Also, his screen game is phenomenal, and I could see Lazor using him as DeSean Jackson is used in that offense.

SEVENTH ROUND - From NYG

Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU - Drafting a QB does two things for us, 1) it allows us to begin grooming a new player in case (worst case scenario) something happens to Cam and 2) it gives us a chance to put leverage on Cam during contract negotiations so he doesn’t soak up all of the cap space.

Gilbert was a 5 star high school recruit who can run the spread like no other QB can. He’s fast, he’s big (6’3, 220), and he can make almost every throw. I don’t think he’s ever taken a snap from under center, though, and that’s worrisome, but in Lazor’s offense, I don’t know if he will have to. Just watch some of his highlights, and you can see why he could be a steal in the Draft.

SEVENTH ROUND

Isiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State - I don’t know about this one. On one hand, Crowell could very well be the best running back in this Draft, and by a wide margin. On the other hand, the guy had multiple weapons charges filed against him, even though they were later dropped. If you haven’t seen Crowell play, please, go watch it. It’s amazing. He’s DWill 2.0. But, he comes with a major risk factor.

The only reason I think he slips down this low is because of recent troubled players (like Rogers) dropping completely out of the Draft. So, he will likely be there… But, do we take the risk?

PROJECTED DEPTH CHART

QB: Cam/Gilbert[r]

RB: DWill/Crowell[r]/Barner/Stewart- (while I don't see us cutting JStew, I could easily see us phasing him out or IR'ing him)

FB/Hybrid: Tolbert/Hartsock

WR1: Allen Robinson[r]

WR2: Riley Cooper*

WR3: (Slot): Smitty

WR4: Huff[r]

WR5: King

LT: Oher*/Hurst[r]

LG: Amini/Schwartz*/Kugbila

C: Kalil/Byers

RG: Schwartz/Kugbila

RT: Gross/Oher*

TE1: Olsen

TE2: Hartsock

TE3: Jansen[r]

-

LDE: Johnson/Horton

DT: Star/Cole

DT: Short/Edwards

RDE: Addison/Alexander

SAM: Davis/Senn

MIKE: Kuechly/

WILL: Klein/Blackburn

CB1: Stanley Jean-Baptiste[r]/Florence

CB2: White/Captain

NB: Captain

SS: Mikell/Lester

FS: Mitchell/Jones

K: Gano

P: Nortman

LS: JJ

KR: Huff[r]/Barner

PR: Huff[r]

I like the idea, but I also dont like it.

I believe that we need to retain Ginn. I dont really see Mikell and Florence being back however. I would love to have Mikell back on a 1 yr vet min tho. Not so much with Flo even tho he played damn well this season. I think it's time to really upgrade the corner position.

And, all this talk about moving Shula should really quit. I cant see Rivera parting way with the man unless he is just forced to do so by Gettleman. Shula actually had a better season than most people thought. And, he called a damn good game in the first half yesterday; except goal line situation.

Oher would be an instant upgrade at RT over Bell. But, I see no need to go after Schwartz especially if you plan to bring Wharton back. We still have Amini, Kug, and Chandler to compete for at RT. Im not sure what's the obsession is with Schwartz. The dude was always a terrible player here in Carolina. He doesn't need a third stint in Charlotte. Schwartz might have been better in KC, but is still damn bad. Go back and watch the wild card game vs. Indy.

There's no way Philly wont bring Foles' go to receiver Riley Cooper back. Also, he's going to demand a long term contract. Gettleman will likely go after Nicks or Maclin. Two receivers who are probably going to be on "one" year deal.

“I understand it could be a possibility that [the ACL tear] may scare some teams off, or a team may want to do a one-year deal as opposed to a long-term contract,” Maclin said. “That’s the game, that’s the business.” (PFT)

But, Maclin to KC with Andy Reid just make too much sense.

I'm really not sure about Allen Robinson. I've said it multiple times already too. I've done my research on the kid for a while now and I really just cant come out satisfied. Im not sure if people on here has really take a hard look or not on Robinson, but I highly urge you guys to do so. I dont know if I'm just not seeing the same thing you guys are or not. Im just not high on Robinson.

Chuck, 

Shula did not have a better season than people think. At best he had a lack luster year calling the offense, and some would even say bad.He heat he gets is more than warranted. Our numbers against good D's where down right terrible. 

18th in scoring O

26th in total O

And thats with benefiting greatly from field position from our defense and kicking game. 

He should have never been promoted to OC as he simply doesnt have the resume to justify the hire. 

We need a proven offensive play caller (top 10 O) and a guy that can develop QBs. 

Chuck, 

Shula did not have a better season than people think. At best he had a lack luster year calling the offense, and some would even say bad.He heat he gets is more than warranted. Our numbers against good D's where down right terrible. 

18th in scoring O

26th in total O

And thats with benefiting greatly from field position from our defense and kicking game. 

He should have never been promoted to OC as he simply doesnt have the resume to justify the hire. 

We need a proven offensive play caller (top 10 O) and a guy that can develop QBs. 

Statistic is nice, but Im not obsess with it. It's about if you can get the job done and Shula did exactly that. Rivera and Shula both got the best out of what was given to them. Shula is not going to be your Chip Kelly or Sean Payton play caller, but he did better than what most people really thought. I cant stress it any better than this. There was times when defenses were just not able to stop our offense this season. Cant complain much when you have no damn running game to help balance the offense out. Blame Hurney for the Double Trouble he gave us and Gman for a lack of talent at receiver.

Shula's play calling was handicapped and it's not his fault. You cant expect to buy a Mercedes with $10k. You settled for a Honda Civic. Thats what happened.

Statistic is nice, but Im not obsess with it. It's about if you can get the job done and Shula did exactly that. Rivera and Shula both got the best out of what was given to them. Shula is not going to be your Chip Kelly or Sean Payton play caller, but he did better than what most people really thought. I cant stress it any better than this. There was times when defenses were just not able to stop our offense this season. Cant complain much when you have no damn running game to help balance the offense out. Blame Hurney for the Double Trouble he gave us and Gman for a lack of talent at receiver.

Shula's play calling was handicapped and it's not his fault. You cant expect to buy a Mercedes with $10k. You settled for a Honda Civic. Thats what happened.

The defense got the job done most would argue. With a sprinkle of Cam's legs thrown in there. 

What truly makes a great coordinator is taking less and doing more. We should not settle for mediocrity or anything less than great on both sides of the ball. Rivera is a proven great defensive mind and we need the same on the other side of the ball. 

No one can honestly say with a straight face Shula is a great coordinator. That by default should get him demoted back to QB coach where he belongs. 

Anything less than great is not acceptable. 

The defense got the job done most would argue. With a sprinkle of Cam's legs thrown in there. 

What truly makes a great coordinator is taking less and doing more. We should not settle for mediocrity or anything less than great on both sides of the ball. Rivera is a proven great defensive mind and we need the same on the other side of the ball. 

No one can honestly say with a straight face Shula is a great coordinator. That by default should get him demoted back to QB coach where he belongs. 

Anything less than great is not acceptable. 

Exactly. That's what happened.

The problem with the Shula-did-the-best-he-could-with-what-he-had argument is this: every single offense he has ever had has never produced. Not when he was a head coach, not when he's been an offensive coordinator. Now, it's easy to say, "well, he didn't have the talent then, either!" but, at some point, Shula needs to look into the mirror and say, hey, maybe it's not that I don't have talent, it's that I can't use the talent that I have.

The old saying is, if someone calls you a horse once, you tell them to shut up, if they call you a horse twice, you punch them in the mouth, if they call you a horse a third time, then you should probably buy a saddle.

What this mock offseason does is take one of the hottest coordinator names in the league and places him in a prime position. Lazor knows the quarterback position like few others, and it would be amazing to have someone like him calling the plays during our offensive sets, especially after he has learned from Chip on what the spread truly looks like.

The problem with the Shula-did-the-best-he-could-with-what-he-had argument is this: every single offense he has ever had has never produced. Not when he was a head coach, not when he's been an offensive coordinator. Now, it's easy to say, "well, he didn't have the talent then, either!" but, at some point, Shula needs to look into the mirror and say, hey, maybe it's not that I don't have talent, it's that I can't use the talent that I have.

The old saying is, if someone calls you a horse once, you tell them to shut up, if they call you a horse twice, you punch them in the mouth, if they call you a horse a third time, then you should probably buy a saddle.

What this mock offseason does is take one of the hottest coordinator names in the league and places him in a prime position. Lazor knows the quarterback position like few others, and it would be amazing to have someone like him calling the plays during our offensive sets, especially after he has learned from Chip on what the spread truly looks like.

But, you're just throwing out a scenario that most likely wont happen with Lazor. Until I hear something with credibility, I'm not on board.

Also, you cant really believe that Shula could have gotten anything else more out of LaFail, Ginn, and the pathetic running game could you?

Exactly. That's what happened.

We must have some pretty different standards. 

Having Cam, Smith, Olsen, Williams, Tolbert, and Gin should afford you a top 15 offense. Cam is about as a dynamic QB as one can ask for. 

Doing more isn't having an offense ranked near the bottom of the league and one that lays eggs every time it faces a good D imo. 

We must have some pretty different standards. 

Having Cam, Smith, Olsen, Williams, Tolbert, and Gin should afford you a top 15 offense. Cam is about as a dynamic QB as one can ask for. 

Doing more isn't having an offense ranked near the bottom of the league and one that lays eggs every time it faces a good D imo. 

According to you, yes we do have different standards.

You are asking way too much out of Shula. You can't really tell me that we are a top15 offense with an aging Smith, a 1st round bust Ted Ginn, and DeAngelo who has lost a lot of steps. The only legitimate weapons on offense is Cam, Olsen, and Tolbert. Olsen is very good but isn't Graham or Gronk. Tolbert is not a cow bell, and please dont let Cam try to win on his own. We've been doing that for his first two years.

And, all this talk about moving Shula should really quit. I cant see Rivera parting way with the man unless he is just forced to do so by Gettleman.

This is pretty spot on I think.  I agree that Shula is not the hot new thing and does not move the needle much but he did well with what he had to work with on offense.  The other thing to think about is what this says/does to the players especially Cam, whom you will want to extend very soon.

On paper its easy to replace Person A with Person B but in reality I think these are much harder decisions.

Archived