• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roger Goodell's 2013 Salary

Darth Biscuit

The NFL League Office is what is tax exempt. It doesn't really make any money. All the revenue goes to the teams and they pay taxes. The pro teams are not tax exempt.

Politicians keep telling us that the NFL isn't paying taxes on $9B per year. They are either very confused or lying. They are also spending a lot of time trying to change a tax status that would not raise any more taxes

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/11/30/29twotakesspector

I'm not an accountant, but pro teams are written into the 5013c tax code (I think). Make no mistake, there is a reason pro teams make this election.

Every dollar of NFL revenue is taxed. Mother of Mary people are dumb.

Nah it's you.

Merchandise, tv deals, tickets etc are taxed. However the nfl over the past fifteen years has seen its profit margin expand primarily due to tv contracts and stadium deals.

The nfl claims to its designation are dubious enough as it is. Obviously they do not promote the interests of the elite football league of India, or the arena football league, etc.

As far as all their money being taxed, that's hardly true. Many of the stadium income is fueled by tax payer subsidy which is basically free money the city never receives back. Money you don't have to spend is money untaxed.

Additionally, the teams don't pay taxes on redistributed earnings, either from the tv contracts or redistributed revenue.

As far as whether or not goodell deserves his remuneration, as silly as that is, you'd have to defend the thesis he's responsible for its success which I think most people would be hard pressed to do. Especially when you consider how and why he got the job in the first place, namely to help the nfl beat taxes with his family's political connections.

I mean hell the two major things he's tried, besides just doing poo idiots on talk radio want, is try to destroy the players and ref union. Both we're complete disasters.

But hey he put a game in London here's 50 mil go nuts.

The owners own the teams, and decide how their business is organized. It's not a publicly traded entity, so why on earth do you care how much they pay Goodell or the players? The owners decide their value to their business, and if you don't like it then tough - no one is forcing you to play football.These young men are getting paid millions for running around and beating the snot out of each other.  

There are ~1700 active NFL players on a given Sunday. There is one commissioner. It's painfully obvious that he brings more importance and value than any one single player.  

I don't really care about how much Goodell or his associates, who also earn well over 15 million a year, makes. What I care about is the moronic reaction to what they make by the general public relative to player's salaries.

Goodell makes about double the highest player in his league=great, fair market value, he runs one of the world's most successful enterprises so he desires it!

Desean Jackson wishes to move off of his rookie salary that paid him 500K=what a selfish thug, he makes more money than I do in 10 years, he needs to honor his contract! Of course, keeping in mind if his team cuts him nobody cares to tell the organization to honor the contract...

You are probably be one of these morons that scream about how Hardy or Cam is not worth 1/4 of what Goodell apparently is, all while trying to acquire Newton to your fantasy team.  

And btw, we should (I don't) care about what Goodell makes. As NFL teams are able to escape some corporate tax burdens by "donating" money to the non-for-profit organization called the NFL, they are essentially taking advantage of the Tax Code by paying Goodell, and his associates, ridiculous salaries. Write it off as a "charitable contribution."

The 32 franchises are simply not tax exempt. Not sure why you think that.

I understand this, but I believe the NFL corporation is tax exempt but the individual teams are not. None of us really know the truth and let's not act like we are experts just bc we read an article from some blogger that is equally clueless. Then again, it's always entertaining to read business advice on a foitball forum.

If there wasn't any advantage to claiming tax exempt status, they certainly wouldn't claim it. NFL also gets anti-trust protections that other businesses are not afforded.

I understand this, but I believe the NFL corporation is tax exempt but the individual teams are not. None of us really know the truth and let's not act like we are experts just bc we read an article from some blogger that is equally clueless. Then again, it's always entertaining to read business advice on a foitball forum.

That is what I stated. NFL league office is tax exempt. You claimed that pro teams make a 5013c election which is just incorrect.

This isn't some mystery. Much of this is easily verifiable with 5 minutes of googling.

To be honest, I don't think it has to do with how much money someone personally has, it's just a simple difference of philosophy.

Most left-leaning people think the best way to make more people successful is to punish those who are successful and subsidize those who are not. Most right-leaning people think the best way to make more people successful is to reward people for being successful and giving those who are not every opportunity to work hard and become successful.

Except for the fact that these right-leaning people have NO problem with a salary cap...a philosophy that does nothing to justify their notions of "reward people for being successful..." Ask a right-leaning person if they think that it is okay for Newton to make far below is market value. I promise you they would have little to no issue with it.

Beyond that, ask a right winger if they think the current NCAA system confirms to the notions of "their" philosophy. I assure they are little to no right wingers ready to tear down the offices of the NCAA...

BTW, I don't want to punish Goodell. What I would like is for the hypocrisy regarding player salary from the fans to end. Michael Bennett recently made comments regarding what type of contract he wanted having contributed to the Seahawks Superbowl victory. There were a number of posters here and in general that thought he was being greedy. On what planet is Bennett being greedy and Goodell is not?

That is what I stated. NFL league office is tax exempt. You claimed that pro teams make a 5013c election which is just incorrect.

This isn't some mystery. Much of this is easily verifiable with 5 minutes of googling.[/

I never said the teams claim 5013c.

If it was so easy, there wouldn't be a gazillion articles on this topic. If the NFL gets no benefit from this, then they should have no issue with the gov removing it. Also, they should have no issue forfeiting their anti-trust exemption as well.

I never said the teams claim 5013c.

If it was so easy, there wouldn't be a gazillion articles on this topic. If the NFL gets no benefit from this, then they should have no issue with the gov removing it. Also, they should have no issue forfeiting their anti-trust exemption as well.

You are just making things up at this point

BTW, I don't want to punish Goodell. What I would like is for the hypocrisy regarding player salary from the fans to end. Michael Bennett recently made comments regarding what type of contract he wanted having contributed to the Seahawks Superbowl victory. There were a number of posters here and in general that thought he was being greedy. On what planet is Bennett being greedy and Goodell is not?

While I will agree with you that somebody saying both of those things together is very hypocritical, I think you are confusing two separate groups and thinking it is the same person saying both of those things.

Exactly. I'm sure there are other people with comparable experience/resumes to Goodell who could run the NFL and bring in a comparable level of profit for the owners. Not saying running the NFL isn't difficult, or anyone could do it, but his resume probably isn't so singularly unique that he's the ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD who can do his job and therefore that justifies his salary (although I realize part of it was a bonus for ending the lockout).

I didn't phrase what I meant to say correctly. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to run the NFL, and for as much as we complain about him, Goodell has done a good job maximizing revenue for owners. And because its a lot of work, and very, very few people would be capable of running the NFL, Goodell's skills are in high demand, and should be paid accordingly, ie millions of dollars.

But I have a hard time accepting that running the NFL is more difficult or takes more skill than running a Fortune 100 company. Professional football is in high demand. Short of a lockout, no matter what Goodell does, the NFL will turn a yearly profit. In other words, I'm not sure why Goodell should be paid more than most Fortune 100 CEOs. And you can't just say "because its a $90B business," because 1) that ignores the management contributions of individual NFL teams and owners and 2) still doesn't justify what Goodell specifically does that others with upper level executive experience couldn't do that makes him worth that salary.

Yes, I'm sure Goodell isn't the 'only one in the world' who can do his job. Not sure why that means he should have to take a pay cut though. Anybody else with similar capabilities is going to require a similar salary.

And yes, I'm sure Goodell could do a bad job and the NFL would still turn a profit, but that's not how business works. Think about it, if Goodell can do a bad job and the NFL still makes a profit, imagine if he does a good job resulting in substantially more profit being generated. If you were an owner, he would be worth every penny to you.

Yes, I'm sure Goodell isn't the 'only one in the world' who can do his job. Not sure why that means he should have to take a pay cut though. Anybody else with similar capabilities is going to require a similar salary.

And yes, I'm sure Goodell could do a bad job and the NFL would still turn a profit, but that's not how business works. Think about it, if Goodell can do a bad job and the NFL still makes a profit, imagine if he does a good job resulting in substantially more profit being generated. If you were an owner, he would be worth every penny to you.

I don't think it means he has to take a pay cut or he should take a pay cut, I just think it means he's overpaid relative to what his market value is. The owners could pay him less and he wouldn't walk away from the job. If he did, there would be someone comparable who would be willing to do it for that salary, because it would still be great money and a very prestigious position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived