• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All this Gettleman hate....

Varking

Smith didn't find out he was going to be released via reporters. That's a running misconception in this discussion.

Reporters latched on to the statement that he was "part of the evaluation process", but that's pretty much the only statement that came from the team at all on this topic. The rest of it came from Smith or his agent.

Gettleman sat down with Smith on the 4th and advised him then that they were trying to trade him. At that time he probably also said they might release him if it didn't work out. Those facts becoming public made the process much more difficult. And it's highly unlikely the team would have been the ones to leak it because a trade would have been more beneficial to their salary cap.

And yeah, they could have asked Smith to take a back seat, but knowing Smith do you really see that happening?

I know it sucks that Smitty didn't get the kind of happy ending he deserved, but truthfully, happy endings aren't the norm in the NFL.

1. Smith even said that it was sad that he found all this out second hand which is why he requested the meeting with Gettleman to sort things out. In the end, those reporters were right, Smith was going to be released/traded. I mean what do you expect those reporters to do, everyone pretty much assumed Smith was safe until Gettleman threw out that "evaluation" comment. I mean why would your best wide receiver need to be "evaluated"?

2. After his comments today, it appears that he is willing to take a back seat. To be honest, I'm sure he would have taken a back seat. He is a huge family man and with a pregnant wife and kids in school don't you think that his ideal situation would be to stay in Charlotte?

1. Smith even said that it was sad that he found all this out second hand which is why he requested the meeting with Gettleman to sort things out. In the end, those reporters were right, Smith was going to be released/traded. I mean what do you expect those reporters to do, everyone pretty much assumed Smith was safe until Gettleman through out that "evaluation" comment.

2. After his comments today, it appears that he is willing to take a back seat. To be honest, I'm sure he would have taken a back seat. He is a huge family man and with a pregnant wife and kids in school don't you think that his ideal situation would be to stay in Charlotte?

No public statements were made other than talking about "the evaluation process" which was not anything definitive.

And sorry, but letting his agent say a bunch of stuff that ultimately hindered the trade effort doesn't strike me as the actions of someone willing to take a back seat.  His prior comments about how these last few years were about 'chasing numbers' don't fit that profile either.  Ditto his prior comments that he would refuse any request to redo his contract.

Someone else said they wondered if the fire that made him great is also what ultimately ended his career here.  Hate to say it, but that's a legit possibility.

No public statements were made other than talking about "the evaluation process" which was not anything definitive.

And sorry, but letting his agent say a bunch of stuff that ultimately hindered the trade effort doesn't strike me as the actions of someone willing to take a back seat. His prior comments about how these last few years were about 'chasing numbers' don't fit that profile either. Ditto his prior comments that he would refuse any request to redo his contract.

Someone else said they wondered if the fire that made him great is also what ultimately ended his career here. Hate to say it, but that's a legit possibility.

Regarding your idea of "evaluation" being speculation... Where there's smoke, there's a fire and this is a fire that is going to be hard to put out.

Also, if you were Smith, why would you try to help the team trying to trade you, that makes no sense. Personally, I'd much rather choose the team I go to and negotiate new contract. It's very possible that after he collects his money from being released and then signs a new deal, he will have made more money than he would have as a Panther this year.

Smith has never lost a fight and if he gets the opportunity to play us this year; I don't see it ending well for us.

Regarding your idea of "evaluation" being speculation... Where there's smoke, there's a fire and this is a fire that is going to be hard to put out.

Also, if you were Smith, why would you try to help the team trying to trade you, that makes no sense. Personally, I'd much rather choose the team I go to and negotiate new contract. It's very possible that after he collects his money from being released and then signs a new deal, he will have made more money than he would have as a Panther this year.

Smith has never lost a fight and if he gets the opportunity to play us this year; I don't see it ending well for us.

Because realistically speaking, he's not going to get a contract offer that will pay him what he was going to make under the last two years of his existing contract.

Granted, he may not have seen it that way, but I think that's what he's going to find out.  And finding out that he could have made more money by cooperating on a trade deal will definitely count as a fight lost.

Plus, if even half the things MHS831 said about him in the Shula thread are true, ouch :(

And sorry, but letting his agent say a bunch of stuff that ultimately hindered the trade effort doesn't strike me as the actions of someone willing to take a back seat.  His prior comments about how these last few years were about 'chasing numbers' don't fit that profile either.  Ditto his prior comments that he would refuse any request to redo his contract.

Someone else said they wondered if the fire that made him great is also what ultimately ended his career here.  Hate to say it, but that's a legit possibility.

In NFL speak it was definitive and he said more than just that statement. Stuff like "nobody is here forever", etc blah blah blah. When I saw that clip and saw Rivera's eyes and body language when the question was asked and Gettleman started answering, I knew for certain that SS was done as a Panther. Still seems surreal.

not just about money, no, but anyone that thinks steve being scheduled to make 10 mil next year and 12 the year after didn't factor into the decision needs a head check.

It didn't, if it did then the deal could have been reworked and he could have played in the slot. They just wanted him gone.

Because realistically speaking, he's not going to get a contract offer that will pay him what he was going to make under the last two years of his existing contract.

Granted, he may not have seen it that way, but I think that's what he's going to find out. And finding out that he could have made more money by cooperating on a trade deal will definitely count as a fight lost.

Plus, if even half the things MHS831 said about him in the Shula thread are true, ouch :(

Let's say Steve signs a two year deal worth $10 million, add on the $5 million we had to pay him and that's $15 million over the next two seasons, I don't think that's much less than his salary would have been with the Panthers over the next two seasons. Not to mention, he has the opportunity to choose who he wants to play for. After reading his comments on his family, it's clear he wants to stay near home (i.e. Baltimore) so he can be with his wife when she gives birth and also be around his kids... That is something he couldn't do if we was traded to San Francisco. After reading that, tell me again why he would help the organization trying to trade him?

I have no comment on the Shula ordeal... what I will say though is that there are more people than just Smith that are skeptical about Shula... Like nearly everyone on this forum.

Let's say Steve signs a two year deal worth $10 million, add on the $5 million we had to pay him and that's $15 million over the next two seasons, I don't think that's much less than his salary would have been with the Panthers over the next two seasons. Not to mention, he has the opportunity to choose who he wants to play for. After reading his comments on his family, it's clear he wants to stay near home (i.e. Baltimore) so he can be with his wife when she gives birth and also be around his kids... That is something he couldn't do if we was traded to San Francisco. After reading that, tell me again why he would help the organization trying to trade him?

I have no comment on the Shula ordeal... what I will say though is that there are more people than just Smith that are skeptical about Shula... Like nearly everyone on this forum.

I don't see Smitty getting 5 million a year at this point in his career given his recent production.

As to the Shula stuff, if it strained his relationship with Newton, it's a pretty bad move.

I don't see Smitty getting 5 million a year at this point in his career given his recent production.

As to the Shula stuff, if it strained his relationship with Newton, it's a pretty bad move.

$4-$5 was the number put out there by Jones, Person, or one of the writers. I took it from there.

And I didn't read the article on Smith and Shula but did the article say Newton liked Shula? At times this year Newton looked just as upset with Shula as he was with Chud the year before.

$4-$5 was the number put out there by Jones, Person, or one of the writers. I took it from there.

And I didn't read the article on Smith and Shula but did the article say Newton liked Shula? At times this year Newton looked just as upset with Shula as he was with Chud the year before.

MHS831 and Carpanfan96 were talking about it in the other thread.

Reliability of their sources?  Unknown.

If what they're saying is true though, it's pretty bad.

I have the right to question someone who has let basically all of our secondary, receiving corp and o-line go and brought in literally no one to replace them. For whatever Hurney did wrong, he never left these sorts of gaping holes.

Archived