• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton now in danger of becoming Donovan Mcnabb.

Awesomeness!!

I think I'd take a Donovan McMabb career: 8 play off appearances in 11 seasons, 4 consecutive NFC East titles, 5 NFC conference championship appearances, and 1 Super Bowl defeat to the Patriots during spy gate.

Only slight is he didn't win a Super Bowl. Nonetheless if Cam can have that type of career here, then I'd take it. As he'd be at the helm of a perennial play off team, and arguably a Super Bowl contender. Obviously I'd love him to lead us to a Super Bowl as well. But if Cam equals what McNabb did for the Eagles, then he'll have had a damn good career, and potentially a HOF career.

We were expecting Shula to use more screens, and slants last year. It never happened.

I beg to differ. Expecially once our Offense took off. We would use slants and WR screens on 1st down. Which set us up with 2nd and short. We used the short passing game to get ahead of the chains. And usually on 3rd down to move the chains. So we used it quite extensively last year.

Then we stopped throwing on 1st down. Our O slowed down markedly. Even our RedZone O fell apart. So, I say. Bring back the 1st down pass. And you don't need all stars to run this type O.

Guest shitposting

I beg to differ. Expecially once our Offense took off. We would use slants and WR screens on 1st down. Which set us up with 2nd and short. We used the short passing game to get ahead of the chains. And usually on 3rd down to move the chains. So we used it quite extensively last year.

Then we stopped throwing on 1st down. Our O slowed down markedly. Even our RedZone O fell apart. So, I say. Bring back the 1st down pass. And you don't need all stars to run this type O.

I'm sorry, but I do not recall us using screen and slants often at all. We stopped using them, and instead went for the run first, run second, third and six thirty yard bomb. 

Don't for a second believe their aren't Panther "fans" who would rather tank the season than be "saddled" with Newton long term. Giving Newton weapons only makes matters worst because it would make enhance the chance of Newton's success.

Losing seasons are long, painful, stressful, frustrating, wasteful, tiresome, draining and just overall unpleasant.

Anybody who wants to go through that because they don't like one certain player is a moron.

Here's a look at what teams that have made the playoffs with young QBs have vs what we have:

Russel Wilson-Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Zach Miller

Colin Kaepernick- Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree

Andy Dalton-AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Marvin Jones

Matthew Stafford-Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Golden Tate

Nick Foles-Desean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek

Andrew Luck-T.Y. Hilton, Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, Coby Fleener

Cam Newton-Greg Olsen, Marvin McNutt

I'm sorry, but I do not recall us using screen and slants often at all. We stopped using them, and instead went for the run first, run second, third and six thirty yard bomb.

When we went on our winning streak we went through a streak of 9 games which in 6 we scored 20 or more points. We were deadly on 3rd downs, and in the RedZone. All because we were aggressive and threw the ball a lot on 1st downs.

Hellz, it was the main reason Cam was in the discussion for MVP. Our O was smoking hot. Then it went away. With the WR corp we may have this year. Paired with the O-line we may have. We may be forced to do more of it to keep teams off balance.

Or not. Who knows with Shula?

Guest shitposting

When we went on our winning streak we went through a streak of 9 games which in 6 we scored 20 or more points. We were deadly on 3rd downs, and in the RedZone. All because we were aggressive and threw the ball a lot on 1st downs.

Hellz, it was the main reason Cam was in the discussion for MVP. Our O was smoking hot. Then it went away. With the WR corp we may have this year. Paired with the O-line we may have. We may be forced to do more of it to keep teams off balance.

Or not. Who knows with Shula?

Oh yeah, I was completely off there. I remember now, when cam was hitting something like 70% of his throws. Why the hell did that stop again? We stopped the short routes and we stopped utilizing Tolbert.

Oh yeah, I was completely off there. I remember now, when cam was hitting something like 70% of his throws. Why the hell did that stop again? We stopped the short routes and we stopped utilizing Tolbert.

That is the question I ask myself all the time. We went from being an aggressive really good O, to passive pretty sad O. We couldn't string enough plays together to prolong drives. And IMO, it kept us from having a better outcome in the playoffs.

But hellz, that is all water under the cow. No sense fretting over history.

or steer free-agents to qb's who look like Luck

RG3, Cam, and Wilson have no targets right now

why are their teams waiting for another team to sign a guy like Kenny Britt... wtf are they waiting for... pick up the damn phone

You don't give your wife $10 for groceries and expect a steak dinner for supper.

We don't really need a #1 or even #2 quality to at least succeed. Just give Cam some guys who can actually make plays. Maybe, just maybe, you design plays your guys can execute. You know, let them do what they do best. Maybe, coach to the guys strength.

We may have a funky Offense next year. I expect less vertical, more lateral. Shorter routes, more crossing patterns, plenty of screens, and what not. Just a shorter game, with the occasional deeper seams, outs, and the ever popular post & corner routes thrown in for the fans.

tl/dr version. If we have Cam, we can do lots of stuff on O. All he needs is guys who can make plays. He don't care whence they came.

LOL. You would think that Harper is going to be the only, and best, pickup we make this year. That our roster is set, and we are ready to go to war. Maybe that is why so many folks are so worried. That this is as good as it's going to get?

Personally, I would love to load up on Linemen, and WR. Let em' fight for plays, and let the cream rise to the top. Sounds easy peasy.

So double dip on wr in the first 2-3 rounds am I right?

Here's a look at what teams that have made the playoffs with young QBs have vs what we have:

Russel Wilson-Percy Harvin, Doug Baldwin, Zach Miller

Colin Kaepernick- Anquan Boldin, Vernon Davis, Michael Crabtree

Andy Dalton-AJ Green, Jermaine Gresham, Marvin Jones

Matthew Stafford-Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, Golden Tate

Nick Foles-Desean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek

Andrew Luck-T.Y. Hilton, Reggie Wayne, Hakeem Nicks, Coby Fleener

Cam Newton-Greg Olsen, Marvin McNutt

And throw in the Dolphins and Redskins who also have better weapons.

Like I said LAST season when we had Smith, Lafell, Ginn, and Hixon, outside the Jets, had the least talented personnel (excluding the QB) on offense. Due to injuries the Pats and the Ravens joined that list but going into the season LAST year we were second to worst IMO.

Unbelievably, we have undoubtedly gotten more inexperienced and we stand a good chance of having less talent than last year. 

Archived