• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Dave Gettleman has guts...

CanadianCat

Of course Hurney made bad decisions.

Is Gettleman the only GM in history to walk into a tough situation?

Just how long are people planning on letting him keep that free pass in his back pocket?

the last thing gettleman has is a free pass. you are minimizing the situation that must be carefully navigated by categorically discrediting attempts to navigate it as unnecessary deviation from a supposedly feasible straight line of action.

you sound like conservatives that yelled about obama just blaming bush for his troubles instead of manning up and fixing them, which downplays the real-world political and economic consequences of expansive war legacies.

the last thing gettleman has is a free pass. you are minimizing the situation that must be carefully navigated by categorically discrediting attempts to navigate it as unnecessary deviation from a supposedly feasible straight line of action.

you sound like conservatives that yelled about obama just blaming bush for his troubles instead of manning up and fixing them, which downplays the real-world political and economic consequences of expansive war legacies.

All I'm saying is, can we come up with something better than just blaming it on Hurney a million times over?

I'm not even responding to the politics stuff, kind of surprised by that from you. No biggie though.

All I'm saying is, can we come up with something better than just blaming it on Hurney a million times over?

I'm not even responding to the politics stuff, kind of surprised by that from you. No biggie though.

the political example is the very first thing that popped into mind, since both instances involve administrations making decisions with lasting legacies for the subsequent one to adjust to and change, and the "stop blaming bush" rhetoric sounds remarkably similar to the "stop blaming hurney" rhetoric, so i drew the comparison. no offense intended.

when do we stop blaming hurney? probably when his stupid albatross contracts stop fucking up our cap, which is not right now.

the political example is the very first thing that popped into mind, since both instances involve administrations making decisions with lasting legacies for the subsequent one to adjust to and change, and the "stop blaming bush" rhetoric sounds remarkably similar to the "stop blaming hurney" rhetoric, so i drew the comparison. no offense intended.

when do we stop blaming hurney? probably when his stupid albatross contracts stop fucking up our cap, which is not right now.

So in this current situation, are you suggesting JR represents congress?

The problem with this blame Hurney thing is people immediately connect him with the salary cap, and just leave it there.

Oh how we have forgotten his drafting outside the first round. As I've said before, if Gettleman cannot successfully build through the draft consistently where Hurney could not, these bad contracts everyone keeps talking about will not be the only thing to worry about, and he will end up just like Hurney did. Obviously I'm hoping Gettleman will succeed, but this year is his first major test, and I am not blaming Hurney anymore. Gettleman is in charge.

The problem with this blame Hurney thing is people immediately connect him with the salary cap, and just leave it there.

Oh how we have forgotten his drafting outside the first round. As I've said before, if Gettleman cannot successfully build through the draft consistently where Hurney could not, these bad contracts everyone keeps talking about will not be the only thing to worry about, and he will end up just like Hurney did. Obviously I'm hoping Gettleman will succeed, but this year is his first major test, and I am not blaming Hurney anymore. Gettleman is in charge.

that's fair, i just don't think you can eliminate hurney's foibles as a contributing factor in gettleman's moves. i'm sure if he'd come into a situation un-mangled by the worst general manager in the league that his personnel moves would be quite different.

that's fair, i just don't think you can eliminate hurney's foibles as a contributing factor in gettleman's moves. i'm sure if he'd come into a situation un-mangled by the worst general manager in the league that his personnel moves would be quite different.

Clearly we would like a more desirable situation with the salary cap, but it can still be managed.

I'm not one of these people asking for Gettleman to be fired, or on the hot seat, or any of that absurd nonsense. I just don't like the idea that we should continue on in the habit of writing everything that doesn't go our way off with an angry "HURNEY!!!!" in red ink. By the time the season starts the guy will have already been gone almost two full years. I don't think Gettleman is the type of individual to operate with that type of mentality either.

Clearly we would like a more desirable situation with the salary cap, but it can still be managed.

I'm not one of these people asking for Gettleman to be fired, or on the hot seat, or any of that absurd nonsense. I just don't like the idea that we should continue on in the habit of writing everything that doesn't go our way off with an angry "HURNEY!!!!" in red ink. By the time the season starts the guy will have already been gone almost two full years. I don't think Gettleman is the type of individual to operate with that type of mentality either.

It is more like saying we are not sure what his plan is and will wait to see how the whole offseason unfolds before making any real judgements.

If he adds nothing in FA at WR and then does the same in the draft, I will be the first one lined up to kick him in the nuts.

i agree.

if he's blaming hurney four years from now then we have a problem. 

Archived