• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any contractor willing to work on that Deathstar knew the risks...

dos poptarts

Was having a conversation with a friend that took an offshoot of the famous Clerks discussion about the rebels killing innocent contractors on the 2nd DeathStar.

Seems in many fantasy & Sci-Fi series, the regular guy gets the shaft. Only the heroes/villans are important everyone else is fodder. We tried to list series where the regular joe actually does OK or does his life just suck.

Since Game of Thrones will be starting another season...

GOT: The blue collar guy who either is sent to fight for one of the many banners or just be the innkeep/farmer who stays in the village and gets slaughtered/raped.

Debate ensues whether the Onion Knight is blue-collar or major character and if losing your finger-tips for smuggling but saving Stannis was worth it. Lean sucks column.

Of course you could take the position that everyone is fodder, but the regular folk just get it much worse. I voted <life sucks>

Walking Dead(TV): have mercy....if you aren't a star...you're fodder/a zombie. Of course similar to GoT...everyone will be fodder eventually. <life sucks>

Firefly: Consensus that regular folk get by. <life could be pretty good>

Star Trek: If money is no longer used in the 24th century who wants to be the person cleaning toilets on federation ships, I doubt Picard does his own housekeeping. <life sucks>

Star Wars: The Empire is power hungry, but life on Coruscant seems to keep going. Palpatine was in power for just a few decades. <life could be good>

Matrix: Regular guy is still in the Matrix and steaks still taste like steaks....<life could be good>

Just opening this up for discussion:

Aliens: As long as you don't work for Weyland Yutani, Life's good. Otherwise, you're just a vacant chest cavity.

Lord of the Rings: Life sucks until the war for the One Ring ends. Caveat, unless you live in the Shire, and then life is just weed, ale and midget poon.

It got me too. :(

Wasn't really a major one after re-reading it... Still, I'm so damn paranoid I'ma ruin this poo. You can't read anything remotely to do with GoT without chancing spoilers. There's even random memes out there that have given stuff away. I'm trying to get caught up, halfway through the third book now, and one episode into the third season of the show.

Wasn't really a major one after re-reading it... Still, I'm so damn paranoid I'ma ruin this poo. You can't read anything remotely to do with GoT without chancing spoilers. There's even random memes out there that have given stuff away. I'm trying to get caught up, halfway through the third book now, and one episode into the third season of the show.

Not sure what the spoiler is for GoT....that major characters can get killed off is a major selling point about GoT. Davos comment? IIRC, the Onion Knight backstory was introduced when he was.

I'm only halfway thru book3 and will start the season 2 disks as soon as I get time to sit down and watch. Yes, I'm way behind.

Anyway adding in another series:

DragonLance Trilogies - Gaming system/mass production fantasy....Mix of "common man" characters who become major characters. But this may be an element of all D-n-D structures. How many people want to role-play "high-born" characters vs "common man" who becomes powerful. Appealing to the customers who feel like outcasts. Dunno. <Life could be good>

Any if anyone is attending or plans to attend NCSU....Prof Walter Meyer (sp?) used to teach fantasy fiction and Sci-Fi fiction courses. Took both. Great classes. He might even like this topic for the semester paper. Feel free to take it and run with it. ( I did my papers contrasting Hobbits vs other halfling characters(fantasy) and first contact scenarios focusing on language/linquistics (sci-fi)).

Not sure what the spoiler is for GoT....that major characters can get killed off is a major selling point about GoT. Davos comment? IIRC, the Onion Knight backstory was introduced when he was.

Yeah, the Davos thing. I read it wrong, no worries. As soon as I saw GoT I started skimming and saw "saved Stannis" and my brain shut down.

There is a part in "Austin Powers: Gold member" that kinda covers this.

A guy runs up to Austin's dad and his dad laughs and says l "Do you realize how many anonymous henchman I have killed over the years? Look at you, you don't even have a name tape. Just lay down."

The henchman puts his weapon on the ground and lays down, cracks me up.

The video store scene where the lady was asking which movies were better is my favorite part of Clerks.

Archived