• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Soccer season 2014-2015

Ja  Rhule

Bo4ThSeIYAAjaOD.jpg

Full Quote: from Angel Di Maria:

“They (the media) say a lot of things and sometimes you think too much about them and it hurts when you are giving your all for the club. Things come out like ‘he’s going to Tottenham,’ or ‘he’s staying.’ These are difficult times for a player. It’s difficult to detach yourself (from the speculation). I was calm as I knew I wanted to continue with Madrid.”

Love how the media takes a snippet, fugs up the translation, then blasts the interwebz with their exclusive content. I have to admit, the poster there is pretty funny (and if they had said Arsenal instead, I would have loved it just like you guys), but totally taken out of context and ran with by the unrepentant and unprofessional sports writers. Absolutely zero ramifications if they screw it up too, which is BS.

That would be a terrible move for Atletico. A gigantic step back. Saldado is garbage.

I wouldn't say Soldado is garbage, but he did have a rough time of it this past year. It didn't help that he wasn't getting much service, which he had in spades at Valencia. Add in the tougher English defense, and it's easy to see why he dipped in form and more importantly, confidence.

I'm hoping he starts off next year quite a bit better. Poch plays the attacking football with a ton of service to the box that should benefit him. Once he can regain his form, he may be up there with some of the best in the EPL. Don't get me wrong, I'm not truly holding my breath, but I have hope of course. But I still wouldn't call him garbage, but maybe a bad fit for England instead.

Some Spurs rumors (from Bleacher Report):

- Atletico may look to snag Saldado

- We may look to Southy (Remy) and QPR (Rodriguez) for attacking options

- If Lloris decides to leave we may look to Celtic's keeper, Forster. There is also interest in Cardiff's David Marshall but Arsenal is also looking at Marshall

- Redknapp, now with QPR, looking at some Spurs players (Dawson & Townsend)

- Pocchetino likes Roma's striker, Mattia Destro,and wants to bring him here

- Crystal Palace looking at transfer targets Dawson and Sigurdsson

- Pritchard on loan to Wigan possibly?

** Whereas I hate BR wen it comes to NFL news, they do a pretty good job on their soccer rumors and updates**

I'm ok with Lennon, Townsend, Daws, and Siggy moving on. Too many times last year they looked like hot garbage, especially Lennon unless he was tracking back for Defense. I'll cry if we lose Lloris, and I'll throw a party if Naughton never puts on a Spurs shirt again.

I know it'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see us pick up Lukaku. The kid has a ton of talent, and has the size and strength to hold up play very well. I could see a nice long-term pairing of him and Kane, should we play the 4-4-2 for a few matches. Kane has a terrific work rate and hustles his rear end off, crashing the box well. Walker should be back, but I think we still need to grab a few more backs this summer, if nothing else to provide competition for spots as well as depth. Injuries killed us all last year, and it showed over the long run.

Full Quote: from Angel Di Maria:

“They (the media) say a lot of things and sometimes you think too much about them and it hurts when you are giving your all for the club. Things come out like ‘he’s going to Tottenham,’ or ‘he’s staying.’ These are difficult times for a player. It’s difficult to detach yourself (from the speculation). I was calm as I knew I wanted to continue with Madrid.”

Love how the media takes a snippet, fugs up the translation, then blasts the interwebz with their exclusive content. I have to admit, the poster there is pretty funny (and if they had said Arsenal instead, I would have loved it just like you guys), but totally taken out of context and ran with by the unrepentant and unprofessional sports writers. Absolutely zero ramifications if they screw it up too, which is BS.

It's just a joke. Everyone knows Marca is poo.

"Are you Tottenham in disguise?" :)

I used to like Spurs, despite always being labelled the joke of the Premiership the atmosphere is apparently among the best in Britain. Unfortunately their fans have grown an arrogant streak since the £100 million investment, and impatient for success. They treat their managers poorly, although I couldn't stand Tim Sherwood for his conduct.

Lambert to Liverpool is strange, he won't get in the team ahead of SaS and isn't really a good fit. A very good hold/up striker, but I'm disappointed with the move.

Anyone else starting to feel like the MLS is becoming the retirement league?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see more global players coming here, but I'm hoping for more known players moving before they start to creak. :lol:

Anyone else starting to feel like the MLS is becoming the retirement league?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see more global players coming here, but I'm hoping for more known players moving before they start to creak. :lol:

The MLS has intentionally positioned itself as a retirement league for European players and stars in particular.  It appeals to guys that are tired of the paparazzi and media yet still want to start and play a full 90 rather than just spot duty for a better club.  

In the long run, this trend will be beneficial to both the MLS and the USMNT as more Americans get exposed to higher quality players, albeit past their prime.  As this trend continues, we will start to see some talented players coming over while they're still at their peak.  Money talks and soon enough there will be a big name player (still in his prime) who is offered an MLS contract that he cannot refuse.

The MLS has intentionally positioned itself as a retirement league for European players and stars in particular. It appeals to guys that are tired of the paparazzi and media yet still want to start and play a full 90 rather than just spot duty for a better club.

In the long run, this trend will be beneficial to both the MLS and the USMNT as more Americans get exposed to higher quality players, albeit past their prime. As this trend continues, we will start to see some talented players coming over while they're still at their peak. Money talks and soon enough there will be a big name player (still in his prime) who is offered an MLS contract that he cannot refuse.

It's a good tactic as long as the players still have the legs and ability, otherwise it'll be negative for the MLS and will be seen as a final payday. I feel the likes of Defoe, Beckham, Henry, Villa and Lampard have all arrived at the perfect point in their career, and definitely not too late.

There should never be a time when people think there are too many - the odd oldie with a good amount of current international-quality players and a lot of youngsters will ensure the long-term success of the MLS.

But I still feel that the stadia and atmosphere has to improve (not necessarily attendances) and there has to be something worthwhile to aim for. Do MLS teams qualify for something really prestigious like Copa Liberadores (sp?)?

Archived