• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for any golfers...GPS units?

dos poptarts

So years ago, I thought of something that I think would be pretty cool. 

They could put a device in the flagpole that sends out a ping. Then a device on the golf cart that will show you exactly where you are in relation to the hole. You could charge extra to activate it, and it would be specific to the hole you are on. Nothing to download, no apps to install. You just select the hole you are on, and it will tell you how far you are from the pin.

Don't know if they already have this, but I was in high school when I thought of the idea. Way before GPS was prevelent.

Hey dad...glad I could repay everything you've done for me in a materialistic way.

Ironically my son just called me 5 minutes ago and said he was taking me to the US Open at Pinehurst next Friday for Father's Day.

My reponse:

"What the H*ll? I wanted a Jetski !!!!!"

I did say that but going to Pinehurst with my son will be pretty cool.

Better than him downloading a free app to my iphone so I can watch the US Open that is for sure.  

iPhone app works great. I can't for the life of me use one of those things you point at the flag.

I play one course right now anyway and know all the shots.

Slow play is terrible. 4 hours should be easily attainable. I think I played in 2:20 one time walking.

I got a callaway upro several Years ago great price very basic easy to use. Definitely not one of the high end units. Garmins the best. GPS units used correctly should speed the game up. 20 practice swings ain't got nothing to do with a gps dudes like that are idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I'm with you on the slow play. 3 of us played yesterday and on the back 9 we were behind a 2 some and I swear the one guy would take a variety of 10-12 practice swings then step away and do it all over again before hitting the ball. He did this on every shot.

I rarely lose my cool on the course (except at myself) but I couldn't take it anymore. I left the tee box and drove up to the guy in the fairway and asked what the H*ll he was doing and he said he was taking his time because there are 8 people in front of them that were holding up play and it wasn't them.

I decided to call BS and without saying anything I just drove up to the next tee box to find the other group walking off the green of the next hole which was a par 5. There was no one between that group and the two of them back in the fairway of the other hole.

I drove back by the guys and went back to the tee box to tell the guys I was playing with that I was done for the day (We were on 15).  My friends were like "oh sh*i...ths isn't going to be good".

I drove up to the green and waited for these 2 jackoffs to get done and I told them I was going to ride with them to the next tee box so they could show me these big groups of people holding up play. Of course they refused because honestly I was acting like a deranged a$$hole so why would they?

Instead I cussed them out and called them out on their BS in a tirade that was much like that of Mike Gundy's "I'm a man, I'm 40" speech (In fact I may have even said that)  and then  I took my ball and went home.  

Yes I acted like a little bitch, but I don't drink on the golf course anymore and that can make any man irritable on a 90 degree day. Besides, my friends said their pace of play greatly improved after that.

Thanks for listening,

J Rock

I feel ya...

But this is why you have marshalls. Or you call the clubhouse and have them send someone to speed these @holes up.

If not available you let management know why you won't be frequenting their golf course any longer.

The watches are relatively new to the golf range finder arena and they all run between $150-200 Garmin, Bushnell, IZZO, etc).

Most of the hand-held models (Bushnell, Callaway, Laser Link, etc.) are pretty steep starting at around $250 and going up...

I don't use them, opting for the markers on the course; don't play but once or twice a week. If I were playing more often on a variety of courses I wasn't familiar with, I'd make the investment.

If I were you, I'd ask which he'd prefer, the hand-held or the watch. It makes a huge difference as I know a lot of players who take their watches off when they play because they find them uncomfortable.

And the best place to read up on all of them- TGW.com. They're listed under the "Accessories" tab.

ONLY once or twice a week? Ass.

I haven't played in a year and I used to play all the time. Damn kids activities and work travel. Plus my shoulders are poo nowadays.

So years ago, I thought of something that I think would be pretty cool.

They could put a device in the flagpole that sends out a ping. Then a device on the golf cart that will show you exactly where you are in relation to the hole. You could charge extra to activate it, and it would be specific to the hole you are on. Nothing to download, no apps to install. You just select the hole you are on, and it will tell you how far you are from the pin.

Don't know if they already have this, but I was in high school when I thought of the idea. Way before GPS was prevelent.

This already exists at a lot of courses

Archived