• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boozer?

If we could get Boozer for 4-5 mil as I saw being discussed then I think we should do it. I would rather see him play at the 4 for us than Marvin. Only problem is as others have discussed is 7 mil for a bench player is kind of hefty and I would rather start MKG than Marvin. If were not getting Lance (and it doesn't look promising right now), I would still say sign him anyways. It would be a cheap signing for a vet like boozer, upgrade our PF position, and at the worst just have a pricey, but very reliable back up in Marvin.

So without Boozer last yr we were the 7th seed but very close to the 5th so now with everybody back and older minus Roberts but plus draft picks and hypothetically Boozer, we are in a worse position and no hope for the future?

Lots of teams behind us got better. We are going sideways at this point.

If we ship out Neal, we can probably afford to sign Boozer and Stephenson.

Kemba, Roberts

Stephenson, Hendo, PJ

MKG, Williams, PJ

Zeller, Boozer, Vonleh

Jefferson, Vonleh, Biz

I'd bring Boozer off the bench since he and Al aren't the best defenders.

But that's a team where everyone has an opportunity for minutes. Could create nice competition. And it gives us fresher legs come playoff time.

Lots of teams behind us got better. We are going sideways at this point.

We tried to get Hayward by overpaying and for whatever reason we aren't going after Lance bc we have the money to but aren't so what would your suggestion be for improving this team? 

I understand the view of going sideways but isnt it better sometimes to go sideways and avoid making a huge mistake. We still have a young team that will be improving sometimes you need that veteran influence to make a step forward even if the "core" is the same. 

Everybody complaining about paying Marvin $7mil....

Where are your proposals for spending that money? Our roster is almost full & we still have a ton of money to spend just to hit the salary cap floor. The money has to be spent somewhere.

We're one near minimum signing away from the floor.

We tried to get Hayward by overpaying and for whatever reason we aren't going after Lance bc we have the money to but aren't so what would your suggestion be for improving this team? 

I understand the view of going sideways but isnt it better sometimes to go sideways and avoid making a huge mistake. We still have a young team that will be improving sometimes you need that veteran influence to make a step forward even if the "core" is the same. 

Slow down. I'm OK with essentially staying pat if improving marginally means sacrificing the future (like overpaying for GH, which we tried to do).  

My bitch with the moves made this offseason is that we way overpaid for MW (especially in view of guys like Boozer being available) and we should have addressed PG in the draft.  Kemba may or may not be the answer and we need backup plans there.  

So far this offseason, we have let a good player go (McBob), replaced him with someone that is maybe a push, brought in a thug player that has been nothing but bad news and MAY have jeopardized our ability to go after LS since two bad guys at the 2 spot might be a bit much, and offered an absolutely silly contract for a player that's very good, but not max value good.  And LS is the one guy that clearly improves this team and could be had cheaper than GH, but we haven't pursued that.  

And I'm not sure where this veteran influence mantra comes from.  The team has Big Al, Gary Neal, and even Hendo at this point as vets.  The team is still the youngest at PG with no mentorship (read competition) in place--- more PFs aren't needed.  

And if MW is your veteran influence, we are talking about a good guy, but one that has way underachieved his entire career.  Is that the type of mentorship we want?

Basically, at this point, the Hornets either need to make a big splash and try to move into the top 4 in the East, or they need to bandaid together some 1 year deals for vets that can keep them in the 6-8 seed until a real name becomes available via trade or FA. Boozer at a 1 year amnestied deal would actually fit that bill perfectly.

What are you talking about? Marvin played 66 games last season, and mostly at SF. He was also better than Luol Deng last season.

Williams/Boozer would be solid at the 3/4 but it buries our two most important pieces (MKG/Vonleh) on the bench. Wasn't the point of blowing up our first playoff team to get rid of overpaid veterans and rebuild with young players?

I don't get this team.

The only "bad" contract on the roster is Henderson, and in this SG market that 6 million looks better and better. Marvin looks bad but if he can come in and be McBob all of a sudden that deal doesn't look so bad. If we pick Boozer up, it won't be for the contract Chicago just amnestied. It'll be something much more reasonable leaving us with alot of breathing room.

After reading Clifford's comments on Vonleh, I'd be shocked if we don't put in a bid for Boozer.

Clifford was quoted as saying the following...

“If you’re going to take younger guys, you’ve got to give them time to grow and put them in situations where they can grow at the pace that works for them,”

“We have to have Noah’s best interest and progress in mind. At the same time, he’s affected by our results on the floor. We’re trying to win. It’s not fair to throw him out there night after night against starters. That’s also not fair to Al Jefferson, Kemba Walker, Gerald Henderson, etc. All the parts have to work together."

“I can make a really healthy argument that sometimes when guys are given too much (opportunity) they haven’t worked for, it very much hurts their development,”

After reading Clifford's comments on Vonleh, I'd be shocked if we don't put in a bid for Boozer.

Clifford was quoted as saying the following...

That quote sounds eerily reminiscent of Larry Browns rookie philosophy. That concerns me.

It also concerns me that we tanked for years to create the flexibility to sign Marvin Williams and Carlos Boozer and draft rookies that won't see the court. Gotta say, after all the momentum we built with the draft, this has been a worrisome offseason.

If they came out and said "We are waiting for the free agent class of _____" I'd be fine with what they're doing but it's that fear of the unknown with this teams plans that has some on pins and needles, especially if we don't land Lance.

That quote sounds eerily reminiscent of Larry Browns rookie philosophy. That concerns me.

It also concerns me that we tanked for years to create the flexibility to sign Marvin Williams and Carlos Boozer and draft rookies that won't see the court. Gotta say, after all the momentum we built with the draft, this has been a worrisome offseason.

I've been saying for over a month now this guy doesn't like playing rookies.

Finally Bonnell actually wrote the quote down so I could post it here.

The obsession you all have with what UNC fans think about Duke players is as ridiculous as your belief that UNC fans want every UNC player in the NBA on the Hornets.

Seek psychological help for your ABC'er delusions.

I didn't say all UNC fans just the ignorant ones who always have to dis the Duke players.

Why would you want to overpay for Marvin Williams but not under pay for Boozer? Makes no sense. I'm not going to say all UNC fans want UNC players on the hornets because I have talked to plenty of UNC fans that don't have their head up there ass. It does seem however there are still plenty that always has to dis the Duke, NC state, ect players for no reason and always have to be blinded about how good their UNC players are.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived