• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A closer look at Bersin preseason stats

Jeremy Igo

Yeah I have no problem with Bersin. He's never done anything wrong. But if he gets cut for a third time, he's going to be ok. Some of the other undrafted guys have families depending on them. Guys like Byron Bell are trying to help their siblings escape poverty. 

Bersin is an underdog by NFL standards. However he has the education and contacts to succeed in whatever he does after football.

Oh I totally agree. I only look at bersin as the nfl product not so much their personal lives. Although bersin himself will probably be the most well off person on the team should he be cut and that includes that starters.

So that's about 96% drafted 4% UDFA not 99.99%. I concede it's a larger margin but considering this is one years sample size that's understandable. Becoming a great player undrafted is not nearly impossible, but highly improbable this day and age. Thanks for doing the work!

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Right, maybe I'll take a day and make a full article using multiple years and see what effect draft position has on it. But you also have to look at the "reps effect". I don't think that the gap in talent can be that wide all the time between first round picks and the rest of the league. It's just that first round picks are always going to get more playing time, coaching, medical attention, and opportunities. I believe they are better, but not by THAT high a margin.

Look at Arian Foster. If Steve Slaton doesn't fumble his way out of a starting job and some other injuries don't hit, Arian Foster gets zero opportunity to be the starting runningback.

There were more undrafted pro bowlers than in any "day 3" round. Interesting.

Maybe a numbers game? Because you bring in several undrafted free agents every year and only one, maybe two, picks from every round. Then again, every player you draft should have a shot to make the roster and only a few udfas even get an opportunity.

It is odd, but maybe we need to do more years for a larger sample size.

There were more undrafted pro bowlers than in any "day 3" round.  Interesting. 

yes, but there were also quite a few more UDFAs than day 3 picks. So that amounts to about 100 or so guys in day 3 and 300 or so UDFAs each year. You throw enough against the wall, something will stick eventually. 

Maybe a numbers game? Because you bring in several undrafted free agents every year and only one, maybe two, picks from every round. Then again, every player you draft should have a shot to make the roster and only a few udfas even get an opportunity.

It is odd, but maybe we need to do more years for a larger sample size.

Yes, there are roughly 128 picks in rounds 4-7, while a gross estimate of the number of undrafted rookies has to triple than number.  But I think Jeremy is on to something about the chip on the shoulder--getting drafted gives you a sense of accomplishment and possible entitlement, while not getting drafted gives you a "nothing to lose" mindset.

We have done a very good job with undrafted free agents during Gettlemen's era so far.  White, Lester, Horton--all contributed last year to the #2 D.  This year, you have to like Philly Brown, Darin Reaves, Andrew Norwell, and possibly David Foucault to help the offense/special teams.

Also, what is the difference really between a 6 or 7th round pick and an UDFA.

Sent from Carolina Huddle App for Android.

Signing bonus.

I've also heard teams bypass the "top" talent on the board and focus on a player they want. If they feel they couldn't sign him as a udfa, so use a draft pick(a little odd but many team do this). Also 6/7 rounds are used mainly for ST now-a-days. Teams have a better idea of talent, so very few fall unnoticed.

Don't know if its true or not, don dave and front office guys saw plenty of gafney in two weeks and came away unimpressed. He was light, moved slower than his combine numbers, and was way behind the playbook cause he returned to sanford during otas. Dave remember the pats claiming a giant form 2011, but didn't care cause reeves looked better and they had their eye on fozzy for some time. The guy who cleans the poop off jerrys toliet normally has the inside scoop!!!1!1!

Also, what is the difference really between a 6 or 7th round pick and an UDFA.

Sent from Carolina Huddle App for Android.

My, slightly less than scientific, guess would be "virtually nothing"

Between UDFA and and rounds 4-7 there are around 430-450 players and only 130-140 or so of those get drafted. And I assume NFL teams spend a majority of their time trying to get their top 100 right. The occasional guy you spent time on is still there, but you can't have, as a group, looked at these guys for extended periods.

Archived