• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte Independence Thread

FuFuLamePoo

Well as most of you have heard there will be a new USL team moving to Charlotte and they will begin playing in Memorial Stadium this spring. I'm excited about it, I plan to support them as much as I can. We need to if an MLS team will ever get here. We can use this thread to post updates about the team

I hate this name for starters. When I hear Charlotte Independence I think of the high school football team

Well as most of you have heard there will be a new USL team moving to Charlotte and they will begin playing in Memorial Stadium this spring. I'm excited about it, I plan to support them as much as I can. We need to if an MLS team will ever get here. We can use this thread to post updates about the team

I hate this name for starters. When I hear Charlotte Independence I think of the high school football team

Should have brought back the Carolina Lightnin'. Charlotte Independence is just awful.

That means somebody in a board meeting somewhere actually suggested "Charlotte Independence" and multiple people actually approved it. What's worse is people will automatically assume it is in reference to the high school which goes by Charlotte Independence in local sports media which will never allow the brand to get off the ground.

http://www.funwhileitlasted.net/tag/carolina-lightnin/

Here's a little read up on the Lightnin'. It could be argued that without the success of their inaugural 1981 championship season, Shinn doesn't get the inspiration around 1985 for the Hornets which in turn sparks JR's quest for an NFL team in the area starting in the early 90s.

Speaking of the Hornets, they were originally going to be called the Charlotte Spirit, but the name was so badly panned in the market they decided to change it. Unfortunately, I don't see the same fate for this Independence name.

Should have brought back the Carolina Lightnin'.

The Carolina Railhawks might've had a problem with that.

The Lightin' ended up changing their name in their final season, to the Charlotte Gold. Which sucks, too. But not as bad as Independence.

That said, I'll still go to the games.

Archived