• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Career Advice

Paintballr

So keep in mind, I know there is alot of info need for jobs etc. But I will try and explain as much as possible.

I'm 26 years old and have worked retail/food industry since I was 16 years old. Every job I've had I've worked hard and moved my way up in the company untill either I dont see any more growth (one of my previous jobs) or company downsizes etc.

My current role I'm a General Manager of a retail/food industry job. Ive been in my current role for almost 2 1/2 years now. I took over a store that was barely averging $23,000 a week (around 1.2 million a year) that was only brining in around 38-40% Controlable Cost.

In my two years at the store, I've increased my weekly revenue to around $35,000 (not hitting holidays yet) and around 1.8 million a year. Ive increased my controllable cost from 38% to around 60-65% depending on the month. I feel like I run a pretty successful store.

I want to move up, mostly because I don't want to be in a store for the next 20 years. I'm no where near my cap at pay (though I am higher than my peers average because I was a external hire). I like my job and the company I work for but I'm worried about its growth potential for myself. Currently I am competing against myself with thr rapid sales growth the past two years (almost a 30% growth in two years) and due to this my budgets are enormous. My boss has even expressed that shes concerned I wont hit them due to inflated numbers. That frustrates me due to the fact that I grew the business but they want more (its retail I know). My next "path" would be DM and in my immediate area there are 5-6 of these with only 1 position becoming open the last 4 years. I don't like those odds when there are over 80-100 stores under those.

Should I just stick it out? Or look else where? Company gives great benefits and stock etc. But I don't want to become stagnant as I know the next 5-10 years is what I will make likely the rest of my life.

Just to add more.....

Unfortunately I currently dont have a college degree. I feel like I out perform my peers that do but im worries that they will look at that as a crutch. They offer a plan to go back and complete a degree, but with my hours of 40-60 hours, no stable schedule its hard

Sounds like you should actually find out how buy a food franchise

I would be lying if I havent had that advice before or thought about it. The company I work for doesn't "believe" in them because they want full control and profits etc. Its a pretty big and successfull company. The idea of being the "owner" does frighten me slightly especially for my age

Probably a good thing. But from a manager stand point you would be we excellent because you understand keeping costs down. That's normally the hardest part of teaching those new to management

If it was about being a manager and not the grunt work I dont think its like that. I get only 8 hours a week to do my "admin work" everything else I'm on the foor like everyone else. I started with this company when I was 17 making 7.50 an hour and worked my way up. I left for better opportunity and then I came back

Just to add more.....

Unfortunately I currently dont have a college degree. I feel like I out perform my peers that do but im worries that they will look at that as a crutch. They offer a plan to go back and complete a degree, but with my hours of 40-60 hours, no stable schedule its hard

Dude, they look at the numbers. All about them dollahs.

If it was about being a manager and not the grunt work I dont think its like that. I get only 8 hours a week to do my "admin work" everything else I'm on the foor like everyone else. I started with this company when I was 17 making 7.50 an hour and worked my way up. I left for better opportunity and then I came back

I guess I'm not understanding the question. I understood it as you want to move up, promotion where you're at isn't looking promising.

A longtime manager with lots of customer service experience that understands cost are skills that are desirable. I would make sure you keep track of what you've improved for the future.

So what do you bring home yearly?

Have you been to my vacation home on Hilton Head? Because I've not seen that place in a year

I guess I'm not understanding the question. I understood it as you want to move up, promotion where you're at isn't looking promising.

A longtime manager with lots of customer service experience that understands cost are skills that are desirable. I would make sure you keep track of what you've improved for the future.

Have you been to my vacation home on Hilton Head? Because I've not seen that place in a year

Gotcha yeah I actually have kept my performance in a binder for each year for my review. They dont "look at numbers" at my review although they are still important. Thats what scares me is my boss bonuses off my CC but they dont make it a priority during reviews etc

Archived