• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need some help understanding the salary cap.

Eazy-E

So I was looking at some of the moves made this off-season trying to see why we were not able to sign a viable LT. Obviously Hardy counts 13mil against the cap. We signed Harper to a 2 year 4.5mil deal. I'm not sure of the structure though.

Reports were the Panther offered Anthony Collins a contract similar to what Tampa offered and he chose Tampa. His salary for this year is 6mil.

A top tier tackle Branden Albert got a big deal from the dolphins with a cap number this year of 2.5mil.

If the cap number next year is supposed to rise and DG was willing to spend money on guys like Harper and Decoud was there really no way he could have signed a decent lineman? I mean why not take the money used on Harper and use it to entice Collins. Or structure a deal like Branden Albert got. Am I missing something?

Yes I know The Panthers will need to sign Cam and Luke but what good is Cam without a decent Oline. We are all witnessing it first hand right now.

So I was looking at some of the moves made this off-season trying to see why we were not able to sign a viable LT. Obviously Hardy counts 13mil against the cap. We signed Harper to a 2 year 4.5mil deal. I'm not sure of the structure though.

Reports were the Panther offered Anthony Collins a contract similar to what Tampa offered and he chose Tampa. His salary for this year is 6mil.

A top tier tackle Branden Albert got a big deal from the dolphins with a cap number this year of 2.5mil.

If the cap number next year is supposed to rise and DG was willing to spend money on guys like Harper and Decoud was there really no way he could have signed a decent lineman? I mean why not take the money used on Harper and use it to entice Collins. Or structure a deal like Branden Albert got. Am I missing something?

Yes I know The Panthers will need to sign Cam and Luke but what good is Cam without a decent Oline. We are all witnessing it first hand right now.

What exactly is your question? 

Start here with your questions, its detailed and does a great job at the cap.  It was started way back and undergone a lot of changes.  The guy, I forget his name, but he is a Jets fan and busted his hump to make it.

http://overthecap.com/

WRT doing the best to answer your questions without specific knowledge of the contracts it depends on how the Panthers are looking to spend their money.

But, one thing to consider is the Panthers value of those players.  If Albert got $2.5mm from the Fins and was only offered $2.2mm from the Panthers then you may have to figure the Panthers only valued him at $2.2mm and did not want to spend over that limit.  Spending over that limited value - one derived from algorithms and complex matrices - could tilt or skew the value or contract demands of another player on the team, also.

There's no excuse. They simply thought Bell and Chandler were better than they are. Just like Amini was better than his back up, or KK not starting, Norman being in the doghouse until now and he's beyond better than anything they've fielded, KB being shown he needs to be accountable by sitting and then having his worst performance afterwards. All stupid decisions IMO. The list goes on; as Mr. Scott pointed out- poor judgment is the answer, simple as that, inexcusable.

They also don't realize no one want to be insulted and underpaid except those aging with little options. A little more money wouldn't have skewed anything. It would have shown nothing less than the fact the FO might care about protecting their franchise more than a saving a little extra. Is the alternative any better? Well you tell me, it's currently on he field. The panthers have very, very little to offer a player besides money compared to other teams, something Gettle is going to have to come to understand.

This coaching staff needs to be gone, it's really the only fix.

Archived