• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College football prospects for today.

Bj-Monster23

Some of you guys may not be too big into college football prospects. Myself personally I always get a decent head start on the upcoming draft and potential players the Panthers could look at or select in the upcoming draft. If the season ended today I think the Panthers would hold the #8 overall pick in the draft. So I would like to pinpoint a couple of players for that pick and other players we might have a chance to look at throughout the draft in later rounds. So if you're interested and watching a little college football today these are players the Panthers could target.

1. Amari Cooper 6-1/ 202 WR Alabama.

2. Landon Collins 6-0/215 Safety Alabama.

3. Shane Ray 6-3/245 DE Missouri. Don't be surprised if Dave Gettleman looks at a DE in this year draft. He philosophy is keep your strengths strong and with Greg Hardy might not be coming back next season DE could become a huge need.

4. PJ Williams 6-1/196 CB Flordia State.

5. Melvin Gordon 6-1/207 RB Wisconsin. I know a RB is not a huge need for the Panthers right now and if you ask me the Panthers have too many RB's and none can stay healthy. If a trade was to happen and the Panthers can get a couple of picks and move down in the teens or later if Gordon is on the board you take the BPA. Never draft for need draft for value.

6. Brandon Scherff 6-5/315 OT Iowa. In my opinion Scherff looks to be the more ready OT to come out in this year draft. I like him and I think he can become a solid player on the offensive line. But the bust rate for tackles lately has been scary.

7. Andrus Peat 6-7/312 OT Stanford. I like Peat coming out in this year upcoming draft. Peat looks to be a little more athletic then Scherff and a better pass protector right now out of the two. Peat will need to develop a little more in his run blocking but adding a little more strength and weight could do the trick. Peat has held his own this season going up against better pass rushers as well like Leonard Williams out of USC who some assume will be the #1 overall pick to Oakland. Peat could end up being the best OT out of this class but I wouldn't sleep on others like 3a La'el Collins LSU, 3b Ereck Flowers Miami, and 3c Cameron Erving Flordia State.

DE- Randy Gregory reminds me a ton of Robert Quinn, just needs to build on his frame. 

OT- TJ Clemmings, with Peat off the board I see Clemmings rising to be the #1 OT off the board since I think Schreff and Collins could be considered OG prospects.

OT- Ronnie Stanley, also see Stanley rising up the boards to be off the boards before the 15th pick if he comes out.

I'm not surprised by Peat staying another year.  The guys that generally go to schools like Stanford or so on, usually go there for educational purposes first.  Plus Peat comes from a good (money wise) family.  Money is not something that will entice him to enter the league early.  Other guys who don't come from well off families, you expect them to enter the draft early if their stock is high enough.

I'm not surprised by Peat staying another year.  The guys that generally go to schools like Stanford or so on, usually go there for educational purposes first.  Plus Peat comes from a good (money wise) family.  Money is not something that will entice him to enter the league early.  Other guys who don't come from well off families, you expect them to enter the draft early if their stock is high enough.

It's not a very smart move though, IMO. If you don't think you're ready or if you simply want to enjoy another year of college life, that's one thing.  But if you're just staying in school to get the degree, that's not thinking clearly.  You can always do summer classes or finish a degree after your playing career.  Very few college degrees lead to NFL level salaries.

It's not a very smart move though, IMO. If you don't think you're ready or if you simply want to enjoy another year of college life, that's one thing. But if you're just staying in school to get the degree, that's not thinking clearly. You can always do summer classes or finish a degree after your playing career. Very few college degrees lead to NFL level salaries.

i guess you could chalk up the enjoyment of doing the "get my degree in four years/being in class with people my age during the regular Fall/Spring semesters" thing with simply enjoying another year of college life. He is studying psychology, so he likes school (as opposed to sports management or something focused on sports). He didn't redshirt so he is a true junior.

But yeah, if you won the genetic lottery and you're an elite NFL talent, you should focus on making the decisions that are best for your football career. Sure there are good football reasons for not declaring early: if you need to polish your game, get another year of weight training in, whatever. The NFL only has a 53 man roster plus practice squad, so if you need another year to develop/grow to make sure you're worth keeping on an NFL roster, then take it. But if you're a lock to make a 53-man roster, dumb to pass up the opportunity to start making that minimum-half-million a year salary earlier rather than later (you only get 10 or so years max in the NFL, take every one you can). Plus, if you are a lock for the 53 man roster you want to go pro and start acquiring the 4 years needed until your rookie contract is up and you can start making the bigger bucks)

Also, if you are big school guy, just knock out your degree in 3 years plus summer school.

One other advantage to staying another year: rich/powerful Stanford booster(s) promise him future perks that may make staying a year worth it

It's not a very smart move though, IMO. If you don't think you're ready or if you simply want to enjoy another year of college life, that's one thing.  But if you're just staying in school to get the degree, that's not thinking clearly.  You can always do summer classes or finish a degree after your playing career.  Very few college degrees lead to NFL level salaries.

I don't think he's worried about money.  His family has some money, so he doesn't need to enter the draft.  It's almost like Andrew Luck who comes from a well off family.  Guys like that tend to stay in school.  In fact, if Barry Sanders Jr. was a stud running back and was assured a top five pick, there's no doubt in my mind he would have returned to Stanford.  Money wouldn't have been a concern to him. (Of course I'm pretty sure Sanders is staying at Stanford next year)

Honestly, we have so many holes on this roster that I would be happy with anything outside of QB/RB.  Cooper would be my first choice but after last week's win he likely will not fall to us, after this week's likely win it will be out of the question.

Archived