• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Practice with time and a score"

firstdayfan

This is a quote from Julius Peppers on the Observer's website about preseason. He went on to say, "It's not like we gameplan for each other or are trying to make any statements right now."

Without reading too much into it, this statement to me seems good and bad. Its good to know that they aren't gameplanning (which we all know) and that the players consider it merely a "practice with a time and a score" and aren't really trying that hard. This might be a reason to have some hope that we might see something MUCH better on Sept 13. I for one don't think this way but it I am definitely open for discussion. A lot of people have said that they are learning and adjusting to Meeks' new scheme, well Green Bay is learning an entire new system switching to the 3-4 and Dom Capers exotic blitz packages and they look pretty good, I doubt anyone would say that they are more talented than we are.

The bad thing I got from this statement was that Peppers says he isn't trying to make any statements right now. What exactly does he mean? Is he saying that they are playing half ass? Because if so that might be the reason why they look so bad. Or is he referring to the playcalling and the coverages, and different adjustments. For a guy that doesn't talk that much, whenever he does he always seems to put his foot in his mouth.

Just throwing it out there. I get the idea that he is pretty much saying that preseason doesn't matter but in essence it really does. Its a chance for the team to get better and players to get comfortable with each other. Yeah the wins and losses don't matter (Please refrain from the Detroit 4-0 in the preseason statistic), but how the team plays together matters, even in running a vanilla defense we should be in the right place at the right time because of how easy the defense is. And playing vanilla is no excuse for penalties, fumbles, and missed tackles. Maybe its just me.

I mentioned this elsewhere. For established guys/stars, there is not much to do except get some reps and get your wind up for live football soon. Other than that, no reason to go crazy.

First 3 games in preseason to me are for guys fighting for a roster spot and for guys who need to improve.

It may be just practice but I wish some of them would practice harder.

Thats my point, I understand that its just a practice game but does anyone think that DeWill or Smitty aren't giving it 100%. I just wish Peppers had the attitude of Steve Smith, he would be a legend by now.

I mentioned this elsewhere. For established guys/stars, there is not much to do except get some reps and get your wind up for live football soon. Other than that, no reason to go crazy.

First 3 games in preseason to me are for guys fighting for a roster spot and for guys who need to improve.

I agree but still it would be nice to see someone (not on the Panthers) get absolutely owned during first string play.

Thats my point, I understand that its just a practice game but does anyone think that DeWill or Smitty aren't giving it 100%. I just wish Peppers had the attitude of Steve Smith, he would be a legend by now.

add 5 more sacks to demarcus ware number and thats how many pep would have if he had smittys attitude and drive.

what i got out of that quote was yeah we going half-ass.players and coaches........but look foward to the season opener, we will be going all out.

I think he is saying just chill out we are working on things at the moment.....and the games don't count.

I don't think the Panthers starters are giving less than 100%...that leads to injury playing that way. The Panthers are just getting beat in the basics of football......we all understand they aren't gameplanning but when they line up for basics the Panthers 1st stringers are getting beat overall (mainly defense).

also, there will be a few wrinkles in the defense...but a lot of this "vanilla" stuff is exactly what we will be running for long stretches of time during the season.

ugh....some of you people have some thick skulls.

is it really that important that they give it 100% in a PRESEASON game if their roster spot is secure?

why in the world would you want those that we are going to be relying on to push themselves to the limit in games that DO NOT MATTER?????

it's the PRESEASON!!!!!!

THE PREASEASON!!!!!!

PRACTICE WITH A CLOCK AND A SCORE!!!!!!!!!what he is saying is what a lot of us have been saying. it isn't as important as you are making it out to be.

the game planning hasn't been there because they, unlike those dodo's in miami and new york, don't want to put all their cards on the table.

as far as some of the players, like peppers, not having anything on the stat line....it doesn't matter. these guys aren't getting paid much for these games and they have no bearing on the real season. pushing themselves makes them susceptible to injury. DO YOU REALLY WANT MORE OF THAT?

if it were up to me we would never have the starters play in preseason games, esp. if they have the bigger contracts or are going to be relied upon heavily.

about that pay...

During the pre-season, players are compensated by 'Per Diem,' with amounts governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).

Article XXXVII of the CBA states that for 2009-10 league years, rookies receive Per Diem of $825 per week and veterans $1,225 per week from the start of training camp through the final week of the pre-season. In addition, veteran players receive a game check of $200 for each pre-season game. Rookies do not receive game checks for pre-season.

link

why in the work would they want to stress themselves out for so little compared to what they get for regular season games?

ugh....some of you people have some thick skulls.

is it really that important that they give it 100% in a PRESEASON game if their roster spot is secure?

No, but that doesn't mean we don't want to see a few plays played like they mean something.

Archived