• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game Ratings Yesterday

Mark S

The only NFL games on ESPN to rate higher were Monday Night Football contests:

• Minnesota-Green Bay (13.2 share, Oct. 5, 2009)
  • New Orleans-New England (12.9 share, Nov. 30, 2009)

In Phoenix, the game delivered a 28.9 share in market. In Charlotte, the game got a 36.6 share.

(think of "share" as the percentage of all TVs in the market that were tuned to the game at that time)

I'm not sure what else is on TV lunch/dinner time Saturday at 4. but we have a very expansive fan base. I have met a few other panthers fans here in Houston

The more games we win.. the more "panther fans" you will meet.   You won't believe the number if we win a Superbowl. 

My personal opinion is nationally Americans love an underdog so its the perfect underdog match up....................Also, outside of Dallas, NE, Steeler, GB fans do you really think the rest of the country wants to see any of them get yet another SB ring?

Point of case..........How big would the world series ratings be if the Cubs made it and were winning the series?

How big on a national scale would a legit SB be if the Browns and Lions made it for the first time going head to head?

We like the unusual and different.....heck the Yankees success over the decades practically killed interest in the world series........

I'm not surprised by that.

Here is something to keep in mind...........when I working in Marketing in TV an extensive study of Western Pa following of the Steelers of a poll of over 40,000 people saw that only 28% of them followed football...................shocking you may say in that area?........but true.

That is why a sports segment on the local news often tries to create a story line the exceeds the game to include the general public who don't follow the game.

A game like ours this past week brings out the curious as they say on a national level..............

One thing has to be said about the ESPN broadcast. They did a great job. The sound, the camera angles, the shots of the city. They were all top notch.

Mike Tirico surprised me at how well he knew both rosters and how quickly he was to comment on the action. This year we've had lots of Sam Rozen and Ronde Barber so Mike Tirico was refreshing. He was on the ball with Bersin touching the ball and Panthers running a safety call for Nortman. He's just on top of things. And I always like it when John Gruden brings up double trouble getting him fired in 2008. 

ESPN pulled out all the stops for their first playoffs game and the production was first rate. Pre game, postgame, and every second of narrative driven content is still appalling. But the game was done well.

That is why a sports segment on the local news often tries to create a story line the exceeds the game to include the general public who don't follow the game.

Assuming your local news still has a sports segment. Many outlets are dropping sports from their nightly reports altogether (going with a score crawl or similar during other news reads)

Archived