• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Intimidator

StepandFetch

That's the ride's charm. ;)

Bigger and better roller coasters have been built for more thrills but nothing beats the feeling on thunder road that this could finally be the run where this PoS ride finally gives out.

Thunder Road was my favorite coaster for the 15 years I've been going to Carowinds. My usual routine would be getting to the park early and ride all the newer rides before the crowds really got there then spend the afternoon at Thunder Road. I know it rattles you around a lot but this wasn't the same as it used to be. It was like someone kept using a sledgehammer against the underside of the seats, and my spine was absorbing the impact.

Looks just like Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens just a little higher. I'm very mildly afraid of heights, no more than the average person I'd say, but that ride was the only thing I've gone on where I got that 'oh poo' feeling. I haven't been to carowinds in years but I'll go to ride that.

">

My cell phone came out of my pocket on the Nighthawk (still liked it as the Borg best - loved the sound effects as you walked around it) a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a goner, but they found it all beat up. Back and battery gone, but when I put my son's battery in, it turned on and the LCD screens were intact. My menus were all messed up too because the guts of the phone had shifted, but my son took my phone apart and fixed that. Got a new battery and cover and it's good as new....with lots of gouges in the plastic case.

• 2 months later...

New pics of the new coaster:

4123184487388328d1dbb.jpg

414473187651261293f7b.jpg

And this one is too massive to just link to the image so you'll have to click it:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3579/414398364106f85a4a9eo.jpg

This coaster is gonna make Apollo's Chariot look like Scooby Doo. The reason they seem so similar is they are both hypercoasters designed by Bollinger and Mabillard. The major difference is the lack of trim brakes, the new elements in the layout and the theater seating on the trains. Its faster, longer, taller, and its gonna have more air.

Best thing that's ever happened to lil ol' Carowinds if you ask me.

Archived