• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

Wilson greatly benefits from the team that surrounds him.  He doesn't usually have to force things or carry the offense like Cam and Luck.  So, typically, he's going to make fewer mistakes.  But I think as a player, he's a notch below them both on ability (still a good player, just not as good as Cam or Luck).  However, he will get a contract that reflects back to back SB appearances with one win. 

Cam and Luck, on the other hand, are fairly equal in terms of overall ability and value IMO.  At this point, Luck is a better passer and reads defenses better, but Cam is better at using his legs and turning nothing into something.  But that isn't taking anything away from either of them.  Cam is still a good passer who has shown consistent improvement every year, and Luck is also pretty mobile and can make plays with his legs.  They basically balance each other out.  The difference will come down to team wins and team consistency.  So, when it comes to contracts, Luck will benefit more than Cam from what surrounds him.  But if Cam waits a year to sign, and we get him the weapons we all expect, then there is a good chance that next year Cam will really show out and get about what Luck will this year.

If all three sign this year, I expect Wilson to get a creative contract that will not be as much overall as either Luck or Cam, but will likely have higher guaranteed money.  I think Luck will get about the 25 million a year that has been reported, and Cam would end up somewhere around 21-22 million a year.   

Wtf does anyone bring up the Colts' lone losing record.  Then acting like it took a zeus like effort from Luck to carry them to wins.

All they needed was average qb play to win about 9 games in '11.     Painter was and is the worst back-up qb in the NFL.     Anyone with half a brain could see why the Colts kept him out there...           Orlovsky is "aiight",  but was basically Jimmy Clausen's rookie year out there...          The Colts had enough time to look for a solid journeyman qb.....but opted not to.         

But then you have the people on this site who tell you the GM in Indy is trash and the Colts roster is complete garbage top to bottom. So you'd have to assume they think Andrew Luck is more valuable there.

Bottom line though, Cam will set the bar when he signs and a year later Luck will probably get just a wee bit more. Inflation at work.

And that will happen despite this?

With Seattle’s Russell Wilson and Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck in line for record-breaking deals, Newton is content to let those negotiations reset the market for quarterbacks, according to two league sources.

(link)

But then you have the people on this site who tell you the GM in Indy is trash and the Colts roster is complete garbage top to bottom. So you'd have to assume they think Andrew Luck is more valuable there. 

Bottom line though, Cam will set the bar when he signs and a year later Luck will probably get just a wee bit more. Inflation at work.

I don't think you can throw just any QB behind center in Indy, but those saying that the Colts haven't done a good job building around Luck are delusional. They drafted offensive line, T.Y. Hilton, Fleener, etc in just his first year alone, and they've continued doing so.

They absolutely should be paid.

But are you willing to pay them so much money that we have to go bargain shopping everywhere else?

That's a team building formula that I have yet to see produce a Super Bowl.

The thing is, is that this is an either/or situation, there is no middle ground.  Either you pay to keep both, tying up a large part of our salary cap, or you let them go and try to fill their roles with cheaper options from either FA or the draft.  But there is no way you can sign them both to modest contracts that don't put a major ding in our salary cap.

It's the same dilemma that every team that drafts well faces. Who is worth the big contract and who do you let walk.  And I don't think it's about signing them then having to go bargain shopping.  A good and smart GM will draft well, keeping the roster stocked with talented but relatively cheap players, and structure the big contracts in such a way that the cap hits don't handcuff you (this is where Hurney really dropped the ball).  They also can identify solid role players in FA that fit what you do, but don't cost a ton.  So you build the team around a handful of core players, then build around them with modestly priced role players and young guys on rookie contracts. 

Everyone likes to look at teams like Atlanta when talking about how a big contract can handcuff your team, but Ryan's contract isn't their problem.  They've had the money to bring in some solid players, but they brought in the wrong guys, and they haven't drafted the best.  If they had made better personnel decisions, they easily could have won the division last year.

And that will happen despite this?

(link)

Sure, despite that. 

The Panthers made an initial offer of a long-term contract to Newton before last season, although those negotiations did not progress far.

Newton is set to make a guaranteed $14.7 million in 2015 after the Panthers picked up the club option for his fifth season. Then he becomes a free agent, although the Panthers could use the franchise tag and keep him through at least 2016. But by using the franchise tag, the Panthers would take a salary cap hit because the money would count for one season rather than being spread out over the length of a longer contract.

Newton’s representatives are not interested in any deal resembling the one received by San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick last year. Kaepernick’s contract includes de-escalators that decrease his compensation by $2 million a year following any season in which the 49ers don’t make it to the Super Bowl or Kaepernick is not an All-Pro. Newton wants more guaranteed money, sources say.

Believe the Wilson and Luck deals get done when it happens. Cam is in the last year of his rookie contract, Luck and Wilson are not. Cam already bypassed earlier attempts by the Panthers to lock him up.

Luck could easily do a Joe Flacco who parlayed a Super Bowl season his final contract year into a healthy long term contract.

Bottom line, don't believe all the speculation you read.

The thing is, is that this is an either/or situation, there is no middle ground. Either you pay to keep both, tying up a large part of our salary cap, or you let them go and try to fill their roles with cheaper options from either FA or the draft. But there is no way you can sign them both to modest contracts that don't put a major ding in our salary cap.

It's the same dilemma that every team that drafts well faces. Who is worth the big contract and who do you let walk. And I don't think it's about signing them then having to go bargain shopping. A good and smart GM will draft well, keeping the roster stocked with talented but relatively cheap players, and structure the big contracts in such a way that the cap hits don't handcuff you (this is where Hurney really dropped the ball). They also can identify solid role players in FA that fit what you do, but don't cost a ton. So you build the team around a handful of core players, then build around them with modestly priced role players and young guys on rookie contracts.

Everyone likes to look at teams like Atlanta when talking about how a big contract can handcuff your team, but Ryan's contract isn't their problem. They've had the money to bring in some solid players, but they brought in the wrong guys, and they haven't drafted the best. If they had made better personnel decisions, they easily could have won the division last year.

And when people talk about building that way, the team they tend to cite is the Patriots. But the Pats have a unique situation there.

Brady's approach to his contract has been long term. He hasn't been paid as much on an annual basis as guys like Tony Romo, but he's been at it forever and has made plenty.

A big part of the reason he has that longevity is that the Pats have had the money to invest in keeping a solid line to protect him.

Could they still have had that if Brady has chosen a contract like Romo, Ryan or others have taken?

Wtf does anyone bring up the Colts' lone losing record.  Then acting like it took a zeus like effort from Luck to carry them to wins.

All they needed was average qb play to win about 9 games in '11.     Painter was and is the worst back-up qb in the NFL.     Anyone with half a brain could see why the Colts kept him out there...           Orlovsky is "aiight",  but was basically Jimmy Clausen's rookie year out there...          The Colts had enough time to look for a solid journeyman qb.....but opted not to.         

But that actually goes against Zod's point.  If you take Luck off that team and replace him with any old journeyman QB, then you have a 2-14 team.  So, Luck is vital to Indy's success.  However, I believe you'd have the same situation here.  IMO, the importance of Luck to Indy and Cam to the Panthers is pretty much identical.  Take either off their respective teams, and that team would be in serious trouble. 

The only real difference at this point is overall team success, and Indy has had more than we have, so Luck benefits from that.  But if Cam waits a year, there's a good chance that balances out as well.  If we have a good year, go to the playoffs, and get a playoff win (which I think all stand a very good chance of happening), then Cam will get the same team benefit as Luck.

I think Cam's people know this, and I think that's a big reason why they won't end up signing this year.  They probably also want  to make sure the team does make a legitimate attempt to put the pieces in around Cam before committing long-term.   

I don't think you can throw just any QB behind center in Indy, but those saying that the Colts haven't done a good job building around Luck are delusional. They drafted offensive line, T.Y. Hilton, Fleener, etc in just his first year alone, and they've continued doing so.

Of course they're delusional. You have to give Indy their due rebounding much more quickly from 2-14 and the #1 overall pick to post 3 straight 11-5 seasons and 3 Playoff wins. very impressive. The Panthers for instance have struggled to be consistent, as usual.

And when people talk about building that way, the team they tend to cite is the Patriots. But the Pats have a unique situation there.

Brady's approach to his contract has been long term. He hasn't been paid as much on an annual basis as guys like Tony Romo, but he's been at it forever and has made plenty.

A big part of the reason he has that longevity is that the Pats have had the money to invest in keeping a solid line to protect him.

Could they still have had that if Brady has chosen a contract like Romo, Ryan or others have taken?

How many people have said on this site, I hate the Pats, but I wish the Panthers would run the team the way the Patriots run their team. 

With the Cam and Luke contacts coming up, this will be the perfect time to follow the Patriots way. (minus the cheating)

I don't disagree, I just think its a pick your poison type of situation.  And the thing about the Patriots is that they make enough good personnel decisions on role players to keep the train moving along.  And NE is awfully lucky to have Brady.  It's very rare to see a guy that could hold a team hostage instead work with them to build something special around him. 

That's where I'm really happy with Gettleman.  I think he has a very good eye for talent, and not just the big names, but mid-level guys, so I think he will put us in a position to maintain quality play for a few years to come. 

I don't disagree, I just think its a pick your poison type of situation. And the thing about the Patriots is that they make enough good personnel decisions on role players to keep the train moving along. And NE is awfully lucky to have Brady. It's very rare to see a guy that could hold a team hostage instead work with them to build something special around him.

That's where I'm really happy with Gettleman. I think he has a very good eye for talent, and not just the big names, but mid-level guys, so I think he will put us in a position to maintain quality play for a few years to come.

As big a fan as I am of Gettleman, being able to keep personnel in place like that is a tall order, one made even tougher by the fact that the Pats can point to a winning tradition that makes players want to play there.

We're still a long way away from building that kind of rep.

Archived