• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm pretty pissed

Jeremy Igo

Speaking of cell phones, we all have the Life360 app on ours and I can look at it at any time and see where my kids are.  Obviously they have to keep their cell phones on and with them, but uh... they do that anyway.

Just curious but how old were they when you got them cell phones? My daughter isn't ready for one yet, but I think she is getting near that age. Each kid (situation) is different however. 

Just curious but how old were they when you got them cell phones? My daughter isn't ready for one yet, but I think she is getting near that age. Each kid (situation) is different however. 

My older one got his going into 9th grade.

My younger one got his going into 8th grade, but that was after we'd realized that we could track them AND we realized that we REALLY needed to track our younger one for various reasons.  The younger one's first phone was just a basic phone so that we could keep tabs on him and he could call us if he wasn't home (while riding the bus, etc)  We gave him my wife's old iPhone before he started school this year specifically so I could put Life360 on it to track his ass.

My older one got his going into 9th grade.

My younger one got his going into 8th grade, but that was after we'd realized that we could track them AND we realized that we REALLY needed to track our younger one for various reasons.  The younger one's first phone was just a basic phone so that we could keep tabs on him and he could call us if he wasn't home (while riding the bus, etc)  We gave him my wife's old iPhone before he started school this year specifically so I could put Life360 on it to track his ass.

Thanks... my son is 21 and about to graduate college in May but he is not responsible enough for one yet but I was thinking about my 10 year.

She is only in the 5th grade so it will be a couple years or more. I know a couple of her friends have cell phones and it just seems very young to me but each situation and kid is different. 

Thanks... my son is 21 and about to graduate college in May but he is not responsible enough for one yet but I was thinking about my 10 year.

She is only in the 5th grade so it will be a couple years or more. I know a couple of her friends have cell phones and it just seems very young to me but each situation and kid is different. 

100% agree, every kid is very different.  My older one has more morals than I do.  If he ever even thought of doing wrong, he'd tell me or his mom first...

The younger one, not so much...

Honestly it depends on the situation.  If your daughter rides the bus home and walks home alone any distance, then yeah, I'd consider it.  Fortunately for both of mine my wife was a teacher at their school thru elementary school so she could always take them and bring them.  In middle school, I was able to take them (or have a neighbor with kids take them) and they always had the neighbor bring them home.

My youngest started riding the bus a lot more in 7th grade, but in 7th and 8th grade, my oldest was usually home from HS when the youngest got off the bus so it wasn't an issue.

This year, my youngest gets off the bus alone and walks home to an empty house.  Therefore I got him that phone so he could call us AND I can track him, and I put an alarm on the house so that I know he's going home to a safe place.

I'm more confused about how a 21 year old isn't responsible enough for one. Back when I was 21 I was invading sovereign nations.

this is JR's son we are talking about...the lack of responsibility is clearly a genetic issue that momma's DNA couldn't defeat.

this is JR's son we are talking about...the lack of responsibility is clearly a genetic issue that momma's DNA couldn't defeat.

Hell, on that note how the hell did JR get a phone?

Hell, on that note how the hell did JR get a phone?

LOL

knowing him...he's on some sort of plan that Verizon just automatically sends him a new one every month...so you can probably reach him anytime between the 1st and maybe the 5th or 6th...after that...good luck.

Archived