• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Case Against Drafting a Tackle in the 1st or 2nd Round

CatalystNX

I feel you. this is the 21st draft in Panthers history. They've only drafted 9 offensive tackles in their existence. The last drafted OT was a 7th round pick in Lee Ziemba(did he ever see the field?) back in the Cam Newton 2011 draft. Not to mention, the current GM hasn't drafted a single one. OTs were needed 3 years ago.

If you're drafting at 25 in the draft, you're pretty much getting 2nd round talent anyway. You have to trust your staff to coach these guys up. Whoever the Panthers draft in whatever round will be better than Bell or Remmers. How long can you keep trusting UDFA to hold it down at the tackle spot in the NFL? Not For Long!!

See this is where people don't understand. It's not as easy as just Drafting a LT. Just because you draft a first round or second round tackle doesn't make your QB safer. That player actually needs to be able to produce. What if all the LT in this class suck? Should we draft one anyways in the first or second cause they are a high pick and good tackles are found at the top of draft boards? That is raiders and jaguar logic. It's about finding players that fit and obviously the front office/Gman hasn't seen that in the draft the past 2 years.

See this is where people don't understand. It's not as easy as just Drafting a LT. Just because you draft a first round or second round tackle doesn't make your QB safer. That player actually needs to be able to produce. What if all the LT in this class suck? Should we draft one anyways in the first or second cause they are a high pick and good tackles are found at the top of draft boards? That is raiders and jaguar logic. It's about finding players that fit and obviously the front office/Gman hasn't seen that in the draft the past 2 years.

I doubt very seriously if "all of the LTs in this class suck". I think if you draft a tackle(or address the need, way before this off season bringing in a FA or two), they would be better than what you have on the roster now. I'm not saying they would be All Pro, just better than what you have now. Keep relying on UDFAs to "produce" all you want. Keep on picking up late round tackles and see how that works out for you. I trust my man Gettleman will at least draft a tackle this year. He's well past due. 

I guess Gettlogic is to NEVER, in any round, draft a tackle, bring in one mid-tier(?) tackle every 3 years and rely on UDFAs. Besides Oher, is there an OT on the this roster that was even drafted? I know I can look for myself, but I doubt if there is one. 

Archived