• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis will get an extension, plus more not mentioned in tweets

Nick_81

Not understanding all the CJ hate in this thread. He played well last year, 8 sacks is not up to his past standards, but given that he was constantly doubled at the start of the season since Hardy was gone, it is not a bad total. He is 28 years old, and is not "old". 

Is he making a buttload of money this year? Yes. Does he have a high cap number? Yes. Should they entend him? Questionable at this point. I personall think it would be better to eat the cap hit this year, and extend him next year. Unless they find that the extra money is needed to sign a FA. We have enough cap space to sign another FA or two, and have enough for our draft picks. No need to mortgage any future cap sapce with extending him right now. 

Remember that we still need to spend more of our cap space to meet the minimum requirements, and we do not have as much dead money eating up that space this year.

But the point remains, anyone who is talking about cutting CJ is out of touch with reality and are getting too caught up with his cap number. Remember that the cap number is high because we needed the space earlier in his contract so it was back loaded. They are in reality paying for his production at the start of his contract when the cap numbers were lower. Restructures were what got us in the cap hell we are just getting out of.

The issue with CJ is extending him into the years where he will be 31+ and how much that will cost. Are you willing to pay him $12M per year in 2017? Probably not. $10M? Possibly but that's still high for a 31 year old DE. $6-8M per year sounds fine on a 3 year deal with low guarantees but is CJ going to accept that? I don't think he would and he might try and test the open market since that in all likelihood would be his final NFL contract. There has to be a point where you have to be willing to let a player go particularly one on the wrong side of 30 or you end up with a mess like Hurney left us in.

I think it depends on if you have his replacement on the roster already. If Ealy develops as hoped, and we get another star in the draft then you let him walk. If not, then you bite the bullet and find a deal that is acceptable to both sides. 

But you do not cut him this year to save cap space that you do not need.

Norman yes, CJ...........no.  We need to let his play out, he is getting up there for a DE and won't be worth an extension after this year.  

A 32 year old linebacker with injury history is a better investment than a 28 year old pass rusher?

TD is great, but I would just let him play it out.  Nobody plays forever.

You want to let Charles Johnson age 28, our best defensive player over the past 5 seasons, "ride out" his contract and see if he "needs" an extension.

Yet you think Josh Norman age 27, who has only produced at a high level for half a season, is a "bigger fish" and more important to lock up long-term.

Holy Crap

Re-read my post.  I said ride out this year, not his full contract.  He is under contract through 2016, Norman is under contract through 2015.  Yes Norman is a bigger fish to fry at this moment.

If Big Money, is still playing like big money, then extend him after this season.  No need to do anything this offseason with him.

Archived