• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Picks 1-4

Killa Cam 69

Nope. Might not be popular opinion, but enough people have Smith at the end of round 1 to not make it a reach.  IMO, no less of a reach than Benjamin was last year. 

Benjamin was a 1st round talent.  Smith is not.  Doesn't mean I don't like him, but it's very much a reach in the 1st.

Nope. Might not be popular opinion, but enough people have Smith at the end of round 1 to not make it a reach.  IMO, no less of a reach than Benjamin was last year. 

Huh?

Benjamin went where he was projected to go. Late first round. Devin Smith is not a first rounder. There are too many WRs that project as 1's in the league that leap frog him daily. Breshad Perriman is one of the more recent ones.

IMO, every WR that's slotted to go late first - mid/late second have their flaws.  

- Strong: Too stiff, poor separation

- DGB: character issues

- Perriman: Crappy route tree, poor hands

- Agholor: frame

- Smith: route running

It's just a matter of finding the right fit for the right team.  For us, it's a #2, preferably with speed and who is also a playmaker.  

This whole group is talented and could all go anywhere from early 20s - end of the 2nd, IMO. I'm no scout or claim to be, but I remember a similar conversation going on last year for the Panthers. Players like Robinson, Latimer, Benjamin, Lee, Matthews were all slotted anywhere from early 20s - 2nd round. Just which team they fit with the best.  Benjamin was a first round talent, but there were mocks out there that had him mid-2nd.  

Just saying that if DG thinks Smith is the right kind of WR for the Panthers, he could be the pick at #25.  I don't see him being there when they come back around in the 2nd either. 

That's the kicker about this draft. If you want a WR, there's plenty of them, but the second tier of WRs drop off around 50.  One could squeak through, but that's a gamble I wouldn't want to take.  After the second tier, you enter the next tier of players like McBride, Hardy, Dorsett, etc.  Still talented, but there is a drop off. 

IMO, every WR that's slotted to go late first - mid/late second have their flaws.  

- Strong: Too stiff, poor separation

- DGB: character issues

- Perriman: Crappy route tree, poor hands

- Agholor: frame

- Smith: route running

It's just a matter of finding the right fit for the right team.  For us, it's a #2, preferably with speed and who is also a playmaker.  

This whole group is talented and could all go anywhere from early 20s - end of the 2nd, IMO. I'm no scout or claim to be, but I remember a similar conversation going on last year for the Panthers. Players like Robinson, Latimer, Benjamin, Lee, Matthews were all slotted anywhere from early 20s - 2nd round. Just which team they fit with the best.  Benjamin was a first round talent, but there were mocks out there that had him mid-2nd.  

Just saying that if DG thinks Smith is the right kind of WR for the Panthers, he could be the pick at #25.  I don't see him being there when they come back around in the 2nd either. 

That's the kicker about this draft. If you want a WR, there's plenty of them, but the second tier of WRs drop off around 50.  One could squeak through, but that's a gamble I wouldn't want to take.  After the second tier, you enter the next tier of players like McBride, Hardy, Dorsett, etc.  Still talented, but there is a drop off. 

Agreed, that's why they are going late first.

Devin Smith is a 2nd rounder to me. He reminds me of Dorsett. He pretty much specialized in just running go routes and outside of that does not offer much at this point and time.

Archived