• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets offseason

rmoneyg35

Better coaching couldn't hurt either.

I object.

Randy Wittman is in the second round and Dwayne Casey made the playoffs and nearly won 50 games.

Coaching is important, but if your players or your collection of players aren't any good then you have no chance.

I object.

Randy Wittman is in the second round and Dwayne Casey made the playoffs and nearly won 50 games.

Coaching is important, but if your players or your collection of players aren't any good then you have no chance.

Pretty much every fan in here was high fiving one another in the offseason, and talking about a playoff run with those players.

Now people say they suck, and have mentioned just every name on our team in the possibility of being traded.

Sure we can improve our roster, but it won't mean dick if our coach still can't figure out how to best utilize his players at the end of games.

Pretty much every fan in here was high fiving one another in the offseason, and talking about a playoff run with those players.

Now people say they suck, and have mentioned just every name on our team in the possibility of being traded.

Sure we can improve our roster, but it won't mean dick if our coach still can't figure out how to best utilize his players at the end of games.

I think the issue here is the extreme disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff.

You may not like Rivera or Gettleman (or either!) but at least they are on the same page when it comes to the style of football they want the Panthers to play. Gettleman finds the players to fit the scheme, and Ron can get the best out of them, especially on the defensive side. No coincidence we are experiencing some level of consistent success for the first time ever.

On the other hand, you have Cho, who wants to draft young athletes, and Clifford, who wants to run a certain scheme that relies more on skill than sheer athleticism. Something has to give.

I think the issue here is the extreme disconnect between the front office and the coaching staff.

You may not like Rivera or Gettleman (or either!) but at least they are on the same page when it comes to the style of football they want the Panthers to play. Gettleman finds the players to fit the scheme, and Ron can get the best out of them, especially on the defensive side. No coincidence we are experiencing some level of consistent success for the first time ever.

On the other hand, you have Cho, who wants to draft young athletes, and Clifford, who wants to run a certain scheme that relies more on skill than sheer athleticism. Something has to give.

If we're talking football, I'm good with Gettleman.

It's Rivera who has to prove that he has finally learned from his past mistakes as a head coach on gamedays for good this time.

Back to the Hornets. If Cho, and Clifford really aren't seeing eye to eye and working against one another, then one needs to go. Personally, I don't really believe that all those moves Cho has made are all against Clifford's wishes. Quite frankly I think Clifford is a little overrated by some in this fan base. Cho can take his share of blame, but in an historically weak eastern conference, it's Clifford who couldn't get it done.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings it both of them were shown the door.

If we're talking football, I'm good with Gettleman.

It's Rivera who has to prove that he has finally learned from his past mistakes as a head coach on gamedays for good this time.

Back to the Hornets. If Cho, and Clifford really aren't seeing eye to eye and working against one another, then one needs to go. Personally, I don't really believe that all those moves Cho has made are all against Clifford's wishes. Quite frankly I think Clifford is a little overrated by some in this fan base. Cho can take his share of blame, but in an historically weak eastern conference, it's Clifford who couldn't get it done.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings it both of them were shown the door.

It really sucks as a poster when you see a post like this^ with a disagreeing viewpoint and then you read it and think "Ya know, that's a really good point" and you can't really do anything to counter it.

It really sucks as a poster when you see a post like this^ with a disagreeing viewpoint and then you read it and think "Ya know, that's a really good point" and you can't really do anything to counter it.

In the end, we all want the same thing.

I would rather be wrong, and see the team being successful, than being right and witnessing a mediocre performance night in and night out.

Hopefully it will all come together soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

We made it just as far in the playoffs with Jamal Mashburn, Baron Davis and P.J. Brown as we did with Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning and Kendall Gill.

Reality Check:

Charlotte has never had a good basketball team.

Reality Check:

Charlotte has never had a good basketball team.

False.

They have had "good" teams, but that's been about the ceiling for them. Alot like this current crop of Wizards teams. Good, has moments, but no one is taking them seriously as title contenders.

I don't think they know who they want to be.

Hit the nail on the head.

We can complain about Gettleman and Rivera but at the end of the day at least they appear to be on the same page.

Here, you have a GM that goes for Best Ceiling Available regardless of production or fit and a coach that prefers to play washed up veterans over those young players that need development and the freedom to make rookie mistakes. Somethings gotta give.

Since this could be a year both MKG and Zeller could make a legit impact (and maybe Vonleh makes strides this summer), I think they're going to be modest with a guard signing/trade.  I'd love Middleton or Wesley Matthews but don't think that's likely given Cho's last presser about not this but the 2016 FA class being prime for us.  I think they'll be sought after and get paid. 

There's always a team or two that unexpectedly blows up their roster.  Brooklyn, Denver and Toronto are the prime candidates. 

-Terrence Ross is an interesting trade candidate.  He could be a strong add to the rotation and fill an above-avg shooter need with his flexibility as a 2 & 3.   Still young as well.  

-It may not sound pretty but for UFAs at guard, I think we'll be looking more at a Belinelli, Stuckey, or Gerald Green

-Louis Williams is a really good scorer but may be pricey.  He'd be my prime target if we make one decent impact move. 

The only UFAs I'd hold off on are PFs.  I think a center and PG could be in play but nothing crazy substantial. 

Also, I like Roberts but if we don't re-sign Mo, it'd be nice to have a solid shooter behind Kemba that could step in ahead of Brian on the lineup.  CJ Watson comes to mind.  Or we could take a stab at that Sergio Rodriguez guy or Shane Larkin. 

Also, maybe Koufos could be a target to be behind Al. 

Archived